British Speedway Forum
kingbee

What Would You Like From The Agm

Agree with most of this. But I'd just say 3 brits, one of whom must be u23. I think the u23 can move up or down based on average nor be "protected."

I'd not be against that. I'm just thinking more along the lines of trying to bring along the next lot fo draft riders. But thinking about it you'd probably have Sarj, Clegg, Jacobs etc getting another season stuck in reserve if they got to stay in reserve.

I'd not be against that. I'm just thinking more along the lines of trying to bring along the next lot fo draft riders. But thinking about it you'd probably have Sarj, Clegg, Jacobs etc getting another season stuck in reserve if they got to stay in reserve.

Best way to incentivise a new wave is to say they come in on a 2 assessed average imo. I could see both aces and poole potentially going with a 2 pointer if your system was adopted as would allow them to field a genuine hl trio.

Saying foreigners can have a minimum 4 average would also help, as it would make the likes of huckenbeck and busk jscobsen less appealing vs a young brit.

• Like 1

Get rid of the asset system so teams don't have to wait on the few to start there team building free for all

• Like 1

If Speedway was a patient in a British hospital, the notes on the clipboard at the end of his bed would read, "Terminally ill, Do not resuscitate".

When promotions from the newest and shiniest to the oldest and grubbiest are facing unprecedented financial challenges, as a result of which some riders have allegedly not been paid, then the illness is clearly serious and life-threatening.

Can Speedway survive the latest onset of disease or will his treatment be too late and merely palliative?

I have known my dear friend, Speedway for over 50 years and we have had plenty of good times along the way. Even these days we still have a few laughs.

But we are both older and a little ragged round the edges but whilst I have done my best to move with the times, dear old Speedway has kept ploughing the same old furrow, wearing the same old clothes and harking back to the "Good Old Days".

But our friend, Speedway can yet be saved.......Alleluia, Brothers and Sisters!

Courageous and drastic surgery can revive the flagging patient.

This brave surgical intervention will involve the removal of a lot of dead tissue and grafting in that which is new and vibrant.

It will involve totally re-structuring the way that the sport is organized and it will mean burning the various rule books ans starting afresh.

Do we have brave surgeons in charge of our sport who have the vision and the expertise to see beyond their own personal aspirations and realize that if they do not make that first incision quickly and decisively then Speedway will have breathed his last.

Would I be sad if Speedway died quietly in his sleep?

Yes, I would feel as though part of my very being had been ripped from me.

But I would far rather Speedway drifted away quietly and with dignity rather than see the Old Boy stagger on past his sell-by date in obvious pain and being ridiculed by those around him.

Whether Speedway comes bounding out of the hospital like a spring lamb or is wheeled away in the dead of the night to that quiet, windowless basement room in the hospital building is in the hands of those medical practitioners that oversee the health of our beloved friend.

Does their expertise extend beyond applying a few sticking plasters onto Speedway's tired and twisted body?

Do they still believe that putting leeches on the wound continues to be the answer to every ailment that has ever existed?

Having spoken with others whose knowledge of Speedway's condition is far greater than mine could ever be, I rate the patient's chance of survival at 50/50.

The treatment plan must be initiated without delay and we put our faith in those that we have entrusted with our dear friend's survival.

Do not let us down.

Namaste _/\_

Edited by Little Thumper
  • Like 2

'Courageous and drastic surgery can revive the flagging patient' usually means a very long period of recuperation and rehabilitation rather than fully regaining health and fitness in order to return to work immediately!!

Edited by Skidder1

'Courageous and drastic surgery can revive the flagging patient' usually means a very long period of recuperation and rehabilitation rather than fully regaining health and fitness in order to return to work immediately!!

Skidder1, your grasp of the world of medicine does you proud.

I would rather the patient be enjoying a little R&R than be boosting the profits of the local undertaking business.

I have confidence that change is in the air!

:)

• Like 1

Is it time for radical solutions..?

Is it time for teams of five riders as per Denmark?

Is it time for a salary cap of say 5k a team per meeting? Number One gets 1500, (eg Cook, Anderson, Hougaard, Nilsson King), Numbers two and three (PL number ones and EL heat leaders) get 1000, Numbers four and five (PL heat leaders and EL second strings get 750 each.

No GP or world class riders, instead use their would be salary for two home and away matches as a £5k winner takes all prize fund (1k each to the winning teams riders). That would mean something is riding on every meeting. Unlike now where many meetings are dead rubbers with the season over for many by August and even those who will qualify for the PO's still often have little to ride for if qualification is assured..

We know Speedway can still generate a crowd if there is something riding on the outcome so make it happen..

To make it pay you would need to clear after all non riding costs, £15k per home match for both home and away meetings and the prize money. (Team sponsor and Sky cash could also maybe help cover it?)

Basically top and tail most EL teams this year by removing the Number One and the Number Seven and you have roughly the team strength level..

No guests from the same league, a RR system that is fit for purpose and could you get 10 evenly matched teams coming to the tapes next season..?

If you could it would mean 36 matches, (18 at home). Maybe top eight for the play offs which would deliver a quarter, semi and Final for the two teams. (First v Eight, Second v Seventh etc would be the plan).

Win all your home matches and the Number One would earn £72k a season without any sponsorship. Let all riders DU and that would take them to circa £100k+ just for riding over here. And if their team got to the play offs even more...

Could we get 50 riders of the criteria to deliver 10 teams? Is it doable and would it be viable..?

Maybe it is time to get on the front foot re Poland's plans re riders restrictions and be self sufficient?

Weekly Speedway on nights that generate the best crowds. No meetings arranged when it is known programmed riders will be missing and a bit of added spice where riders can more than double their pay through bonus payments if they help their team win the match and could it help get Speedway back on its feet?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Good outside the box thinking. But essentially I think you are diluting the quality of rider, without reducing costs. Not sure the 5k prize find will materially improve the quality of racing, but I suspect losing the world class riders will adversely impact crowds.

What's a realistic estimate of costs to stage a meeting exc riders wages? 5k? 10k?

Is it time for radical solutions..?

Is it time for teams of five riders as per Denmark?

Is it time for a salary cap of say 5k a team per meeting? Number One gets 1500, (eg Cook, Anderson, Hougaard, Nilsson King), Numbers two and three (PL number ones and EL heat leaders) get 1000, Numbers four and five (PL heat leaders and EL second strings get 750 each.

For thinking outside of the box, this has to be one of the best options I've read. We need to think along those lines for survival. Our sport is in need of a new direction and this could be the idea needed to move forward. The amount of time we go to a meeting when there is nothing at stake and riders going through the motions destroys any competitive racing, this would add tremendously to teams attitude...

Good outside the box thinking. But essentially I think you are diluting the quality of rider, without reducing costs. Not sure the 5k prize find will materially improve the quality of racing, but I suspect losing the world class riders will adversely impact crowds.

What's a realistic estimate of costs to stage a meeting exc riders wages? 5k? 10k?

We don't have to have SGP riders to get big crowds at meetings. Our sport cant finance them anymore. The sooner we realise that we can move forward...

Mike BV : Brilliant idea.......Only hope the BSPA are watching and taking note..... :t:

• Like 2

Would you trust certain promotions to stick to the agreed points monies??!!

That for me would be where the SCB would need to be strong..

And maybe all salaries paid from a central fund that they control?

In the absence of the so obviously required independent body to administer the sport, (that all 'proper sports' have), it is time that the SCB actually started to help sort the mess out and this could be a way of doing so?

Any sponsorship should of course still be allowed to top up any riders income, however if no 'superstars' exist there wouldnt be the temptation to do 'anything dodgy' to attract certain riders because there would be no real on track benefit as (hopefully) the spread from Number One to Number Five isnt as wide as currently exists from One to Seven in a seven rider structure..

Super League has proven a salary cap can work with clear consequence already used against any team trying to get round it. The success of which now brings promotion and relegation again as the gap between both leagues (once enormous) has now been closed to close to parity.

The Poles lets face it are not targeting the 'second, third and fourth tier' riders anyway when they have made their new rule, as there are loads of Polish riders already at that level with more coming through.

So let them have the 'superstars' and over here, no longer run a seasons worth of ever changing fixture lists full of select teams, (which inevitably encourage accusations of being 'Mickey Mouse' with a lack of integrity) to accommodate their participation..

Give the 'non superstars' the chance to earn good money over here by DU'ing and then let them ride in wherever else they can. (But their GB contract must be met 100%)

10 riders per match with possibly not much more than a 2 point difference in average from 'best to worst', all of whom have a chance to earn good money by priortising GB?

Worth a punt surely?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Would you trust certain promotions to stick to the agreed points monies??!!

It's an easy thing to get around. You just get sponsor's to pay riders the extra wages instead of sponsors putting money into the club.

British and Commonwealth Riders.

1st half - 13 heat team competition ( 5 riders/team)

2nd half - individual competition for British Championship points.

:t:

• Like 1

With the defensive/aggressive stance of the PZM and its leading clubs, is it time for closer co-operation between the UK and Denmark? It seems they are the two most vulnerable leagues in this scenario.

I would like to see an end to the 'Joker double points', instead I would give the team manager of the team 10 points behind, the choice of gate positions, until they are no longer 10 points behind. It would give the sport greater credibility to the viewing public, and potentially encourage better racing, as the stronger, often home team, may have to come from behind more often.

• Like 1