British Speedway Forum

I wonder how many fans turned their back on the sport because it is over priced, the quality is constantly degrading, the BSPA lacks any transparency into how big decisions are made, the tracks are among the worst in the world, the stadiums are poorly equipped, the promoters are dinosaurs, the quality of teams pale in comparison to other European leagues, media coverage is lacking, the websites are just awful, decent social media is non existent and the promoters don't understand the first thing about marketing.

Or maybe it's just Matt Ford.

There's a real issue within this sport, both from the supporters and the promoters, when it comes to understanding the issues the sport suffers from. Some of the things that people on here attribute to the sports demise are ridiculous. Sometimes you need to just accept that the product on display is quickly turning into garbage and most people just don't want to pay for it.

It's time that supporters and promoters alike understood the reason why people are not attending. It's not because Matt Ford ruined the sport, it's not because times have changed and people don't like speedway anymore, it's not because Sky cover one match a fortnight... It's because the product is garbage. There is absolutely no coherent strategy for growth. The sport is living in an era that doesn't exist anymore, and nobody is working to change that.

The fact of the matter is, the majority of promoters have adopted a cost cutting strategy, rather than an investment strategy. Unfortunately this strategy will inevitably result in the sport failing completely. As soon as you start cost cutting, you reduce the quality. When you reduce the quality, you inevitably lose a percentage of your patrons. When you lose a percentage of your patrons, you lose a percentage of your income and you need to start cost cutting again. Unfortunately it's a vicious cycle.

but what would the alternative be? if teams didnt cost cut many teams would go bust and the rich team/s would win all the time making it boring.....

• Like 1

I wonder how many fans turned their back on the sport because it is over priced, the quality is constantly degrading, the BSPA lacks any transparency into how big decisions are made, the tracks are among the worst in the world, the stadiums are poorly equipped, the promoters are dinosaurs, the quality of teams pale in comparison to other European leagues, media coverage is lacking, the websites are just awful, decent social media is non existent and the promoters don't understand the first thing about marketing.

Or maybe it's just Matt Ford.

There's a real issue within this sport, both from the supporters and the promoters, when it comes to understanding the issues the sport suffers from. Some of the things that people on here attribute to the sports demise are ridiculous. Sometimes you need to just accept that the product on display is quickly turning into garbage and most people just don't want to pay for it.

It's time that supporters and promoters alike understood the reason why people are not attending. It's not because Matt Ford ruined the sport, it's not because times have changed and people don't like speedway anymore, it's not because Sky cover one match a fortnight... It's because the product is garbage. There is absolutely no coherent strategy for growth. The sport is living in an era that doesn't exist anymore, and nobody is working to change that.

The fact of the matter is, the majority of promoters have adopted a cost cutting strategy, rather than an investment strategy. Unfortunately this strategy will inevitably result in the sport failing completely. As soon as you start cost cutting, you reduce the quality. When you reduce the quality, you inevitably lose a percentage of your patrons. When you lose a percentage of your patrons, you lose a percentage of your income and you need to start cost cutting again. Unfortunately it's a vicious cycle.

That to me is the real problem

but what would the alternative be? if teams didnt cost cut many teams would go bust and the rich team/s would win all the time making it boring.....

I went to Scunthorpe last year and that was not garbage and the WTCF at Belle Vue that night's racing speaks for itself you are right cutting costs is a must. Edited by Sidney the robin

Not in my opinion. They have done some excellent insightful interviews during the winter that have been extremely good reading all about the running of the sport, debates on engines with eminent people involved, some classic teams look backs and interviews.

Although if you haven't read them then you have missed a treat.

maybe its changed i cancelled my weekly order a few years ago and even stopped reading it from other people as it was just a waste of time

ill agree over the winter you did get a few things worth reading

to be honest it will take a massive change to get me to start buying it again but im maybe missing out but cant really see it changing that much to make me feel that way

Yes, quite obviously Speedway's problem is that it's boring. Most races are over by the back straight and you're lucky if you get one decent race a meeting!

Most tracks are fundamentally flawed, too small and narrow. Fix the tracks!

There's no point Marketing something that is, for the most part, tripe.

maybe its changed i cancelled my weekly order a few years ago and even stopped reading it from other people as it was just a waste of time

ill agree over the winter you did get a few things worth reading

to be honest it will take a massive change to get me to start buying it again but im maybe missing out but cant really see it changing that much to make me feel that way

The winter editions are excellent for information about the sport and usually are.

I agree to an extent that during the season a fair bit of the information is 'old news' however I find enough from the in depth interviews to make it still an essential read.

I can understand with such a lot of information readily available why some don't bother anymore and that's also a fair enough point. :t:

• Like 1

Yes, quite obviously Speedway's problem is that it's boring. Most races are over by the back straight and you're lucky if you get one decent race a meeting!

Guess you never been to Wolves then
  • Like 3

Or Somerset, Peterborough, Scunthorpe and Bellevue?

• Like 2

Or Somerset, Peterborough, Scunthorpe and Bellevue?

They don't get out much in Stoke.............. ;)

or seen a gp...a race in poland......anywhere

People often ask me what sport I like as I like a lot anyway when I mention Speedway well the reaction I get is that its boring and who ever gates wins which is true mostly, if I hadn't followed Speedway for as long as I had there would be nothing to draw me to it at all! I simply don't no the answer to improve it I simply think Speedway has had its day and its very much an era thing.

Just been on the website looks like we have some new sponsors. Slightly worrying that we don't have a main team sponsor because this means no investing in riders which add to the asset base. I think Ford has had offers but is waiting for that big six figure juicy fee to come up??

I will clarify my comments...

British Speedway tends to be boring and processional.

The GP's are, for the most part, a class apart. The temporary tracks do not live up to the likes of Torun because they tend to shoved into arenas where they don't really fit.

Belle Vue is easily the best track in the country, nothing comes close. There's a reason BV copied the likes of Torun and not Wolves!

I have been to both Somerset and Scunthorpe and not been tempted back, they are better than most others but that's not saying much.

Having seen the Swedish tracks on TV they appear to be better shaped and prepared than those in the UK.

More shale required ..... riders can do more with more material as long as it is dealt with properly imo.

More shale required

not with the laydown engines

• Like 2