British Speedway Forum

Why would he come in on 7.35 when he never had a PL average last season and averaged 6.44 for Poole in the EL

Have seen numerous people post that the rolling pl average per the green sheets is incorrectly calculated and that 7.35 should be the figure

Ellis Perks might have struggled in recent years. However, i feel he might become a Paul Starke type of rider and improve over the season and be ready for the playoffs.

We all know are big assets which will be hard to use due to point limit. I imagine they will return in future years. This is British speedway after all.

BUT WHAT LOWER LEAGUE riders do we have apart from Perks.

I'd would love Poole to re-sign Holder, then try to change how the average system works so his 12+ average is viable.

Amazing how a rider can have an absolute nightmare of a season and the following year be one of the most sought after riders!

Conversely somebody who rides out of his skin one year and achieves what people perceive to be a false average becomes persona non grata. I always remember Paul Smith having a good year for Hull Vikings in the PL and getting saddled with a 7+ average. Nobody touched him the following season and as far as I know he never rode again.

this x 1000

• Like 1

Surely starke will stay at Somerset?

or leicester another rider who will be in demand bomber said on twitter as well his phone dosent stop ringing :nono:

Ok so now i get it. Premier league averages just transfer across so Newman will be 6.79. I await the apologies from Shovlar and Skiddet and Lisa Colette as the premier league conversion has been scrapped. Wow Poole are in the deep stuff. Newman 6.79. Ellis over 7. Kurtz over 9. Buck Gomolski over 8. Andersen over 10 and Holder over 12.

I tend to think everyone especially existing 'EL' sides will be in the deep stuff!

Amazing how a rider can have an absolute nightmare of a season and the following year be one of the most sought after riders!

Conversely somebody who rides out of his skin one year and achieves what people perceive to be a false average becomes persona non grata. I always remember Paul Smith having a good year for Hull Vikings in the PL and getting saddled with a 7+ average. Nobody touched him the following season and as far as I know he never rode again.

This has been a problem for years, good and improving riders doing well and then because of the next year team limit doing themselves out of a job. Top teams having to break up because they were successful.

And people wonder why certain teams riders have engine problems or bad nights towards the end of the season.

The BSPA might have thought that with such reorganisation introduced in one season that grading riders

is preferable to using cast iron averages - but they haven't and now riders have a devil of a time sorting a team place.

I think that all the Aussie boys - but in particular Watt, Schlein and Batchelor - should be contesting every meeting in Oz over the winter - especially the Aussie Championships.

Their performances will give a good indication as to whether they have overcome any injuries and/or off-track pressures from this past season.

Edited by Skidder1

Nice looking team but I think this team will be built around the Holder brothers.

I would also expect Newman to possibly come back but Poole are going to really need to find some bargains down the lower end to make the high averages pay off.

I could see both Ellis Perks and James Shanes at reserves for the Pirates and a strongish top 4/5.

I made a comment yesterday regarding why not look at Jack Parkinson-Blackburn. As it was my first ever BSF post it had to be approved before entry on the site. Means it was posted a 2/3 pages back so many may have missed it. There were no comments to is so I assume that's the reason. Anyone with thoughts on JPB as he may arguably be the best young rider we have having only turned 16 in Sept, has been turning in mega scores incl 19 at Eastbourne in last meeting of the season.

Would probably get him on a 2 point av and I would argue maybe better long terms option that E.Perks as he seems to have outscored him later part of the season. Seems a hell of a talent.

• Like 1

Chris Holder tweeted that the new team rules are not doing him any favours

I think that all the Aussie boys - but in particular Watt, Schlein and Batchelor - should be contesting every meeting in Oz over the winter - especially the Aussie Championships.

Their performances will give a good indication as to whether they have overcome any injuries and/or off-track pressures from this past season.

I agree and would also give us a chance to see how B.Kurtz and J.Holder perform against more established riders rather than last seasons Aussie champs when it just what was against old PL riders (M.Frick excluded that is). Problem is that most sides will be sorted by then probably.

Chris Holder tweeted that the new team rules are not doing him any favours

TBF, the rules are designed to make it difficult for the top guys and to see them sort of forced out.