British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

Plymouth 2017

Not quite sure any normal speedway fan will be rubbing their hands as for the majority it's sad to see any club go under like this.

I think you will be aware what I am alluding to, and that is NOT normal speedway fans.

Can't see why this has not worked out for the Devils with a big city,sad to see this,NL may be only hope but would love to see the Devils in premier next year,all the best to riders and fans.

• Like 2

I think you will be aware what I am alluding to, and that is NOT normal speedway fans.

Not sure i do Dave. Please explain for me.

It wasnt so long ago that people were saying plymouth crowds were nigh on 1000 fans aweek?

• Like 1

Not sure i do Dave. Please explain for me.

Why does sad news like this resort to point scoring if anyone reads into that post needing an explanation then this is not the time or place.

Anyway sad news for Devil's fans but not entirely unexpected really hope things can be worked out.

• Like 1

Sad to hear this , always loved riding there in its NL days , hope someone out there can wave their magic wand over the place

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

Surely Plymouth could survive in the National League, with new owners. Really hope somebody comes forward to save the Devils.

• Like 1

Sad news @ the moment yes........... BUT if the right person or group were to come in & PROMOTE THE SPORT the potential @ Plymouth is better than most other tracks in the U.K.

That's not 'talk the talk' but 'WALK the WALK' = PROMOTE to the thousands on your doorstep. Hope to see the Devils in 2017.

• Like 2

Plymouth is a great track to watch racing.A small tight track with everyone very close to the action.

The writing has been on the wall for quite a while now. Before Seemond Stephens was bought out,both he and Ashley Taylor were pulling in opposite directions, with one prefering to stay PL while the other has always wanted NL.

Just after the current Promotion took over from Bowden an article appeared in the Plymouth Herald.In it the new ownwers boasted that 'soon all others promotions will look on in envy at the way we run things here' Well I hope the others have looked and learnt how NOT to run a Speedway team .

I do know how this will be hurting Ashley Taylor. However, to do this once is one thing, to the it twice within 6 months is just not acceptable. He must accept the the fact that he must now step aside and allow any potential new owner(s) to go about keeping speedway in the area without any interference from him.

Worse still is the fact the riders seemingly only found out when they read the BSPA statement, just like everyone else.Appalling.

• Like 8

i went to the last meeting v scunny, meaningless I agree but I reckon 400 tops.

I know the chap who got newton abbot races on board as team sponsor, he expressed the problems as others have.

it almost seems the world ends at Exeter.

hopefully they survive in some form as the viewing was 100% better than when I visited about 5 seasons prior

Newman not a happy bunny, and won't be returning (by the looks of it) even if Plymouth do pull through this.

Newman Angered At Plymouth Statement

Posted on October 5, 2016

Plymouth captain Kyle Newman has today admitted that he has been left angered and frustrated at the imminent closer of the Devon club.

Newman, who joined the Devils in 2014, insists the lack of transparency between the riders and promotion has left a bad taste in the mouth after yesterday’s announcement.

The Devils skipper said, “I’m disappointed at what’s happened at Plymouth this year. It’s been one thing after another and as riders we’ve tried to put that to the back of our minds and get on with our jobs.

“Yesterday’s announcement came as a shock and I only found out through a friend that they (Plymouth) had released a statement.

“I’m very annoyed that the Plymouth promotion decided not to contact any of the riders regarding this situation before making it public. Riders should know beforehand considering money is still owed to us all.

“It’s an extremely frustrating situation and I feel sorry for Lee Trigger (Plymouth team manager) in all this. He has acted as a middle man between the riders and promotion all season even though he has nothing to do with payments.

“Lee has provided us with answers all year even though he’s in the same boat as us. The promotion has hung him out to dry which is massively disappointing.

“I’d like to say thanks to the Plymouth fans for their support all season. It been an extremely difficult time, my hardest in speedway, but I think it’s time for me to move on.

“I’ll be looking for a new Premier League club next season and I’m already looking forward to a new challenge, wherever that may be.”

(Taken from Kyle's official site)

Edited by MrMungo
  • Like 2

This is so sad . I had a great night in the beer garden with Plymouth fans after the first day of the Fours at Peterborough . They have a hard core of supporters who followed the Devils everywhere . I feel so sorry for those guys .

• Like 1