British Speedway Forum
Col

Belle Vue Vs Wolves, Grand Final 2nd Leg, 5/10/16...

Why do you keep saying this?

I've heard sports people say it MANY times when they've received particularly personal abuse.

What? You mean you've heard them call some of the crowd "IDIOTS" in a live TV interview?

Who, when, where?

Because I haven't..

This is my only gripe, the LIVE TV interview, the rest was banter, high jinx, verbals and gestures...

The TV interview was my gripe...

Edited by Shale Searcher

What? You mean you've heard them call some of the crowd "IDIOTS" in a live TV interview?

Who, when, where?

Because I haven't..

Yes and far worse!

Only last night Adam Jones of Baltimore Orioles about certain Toronto fans.

Speedway fans do amuse me..

We get post after post about the lack of characters in the sport, the lack of interaction with the fans, how riders in the 'good old days' would be booed out the stadium and would give as much back winding up the crowd..

Then along comes someone who does all that, resulting in an epic night's entertainment and folk are whinging about it!

• Like 9

I just feel a sportsman at the top of his game should be a role model, setting an example. Other than the flying clothes line at Nicki , you wouldn't catch Hancock behaving like Tai did.

And Hancock is dull!

Booing, jeering and a few hand signals is what sport should be about. Nobody died, nobody got injured, so why does it matter? Winding up riders is part of the fun!

And Hancock is dull!

Booing, jeering and a few hand signals is what sport should be about. Nobody died, nobody got injured, so why does it matter? Winding up riders is part of the fun!

Exactly, I've seen riders jump the fence to have a go at fans in the past... but they were characters..

But calling 'some' fans idiots... terrible... dear me.

Belle Vue clearly had a pre-orchestrated plan last night to get at Woffinden.

From the announcer ALL meeting making sarcastic comments about the World Champion riding at No 4 and how him riding there 'wasn't in the spirit of the rules'. He made sure everyone knew this before the meeting started and repeated it over and over throughout the night.

They even went so far as to print a false average for Woffinden in the programme making it appear that he was the highest averaging rider, which of course led to some natives claiming we were cheating and he should be at No 1.

• Like 1

It's one thing blocking a rider by riding out to the fence forcing the rider BEHIND to shut off or slow, it's totally different when 3 riders are racing neck and neck and one of them (Lindgren) put Cookie in a sandwich between Lindgren and Zagar. There is a fine line between too tough and fair riding, Freddie overstepped it last night.

You summed up brilliantly what happened in that race UNTIL the final bit!!! You are correct Lingren did use Zagar to make Cook stranded in the middle of the Sandwich,it was a class move to shut the door on what he had to do.Cook was stranded in no mans land and Lingren made the move work.Super and vital at the time.

So why can Belle Vue prepare a track that suits the new faster engines, but nobody else can ?

Because we built a big fast track

Nothing to do with prep I think

I'm not bothered with the on track banter and posturing, adds to the atmosphere.... Brings back memories of my early memories of speedway....

It's purely what he said in the LIVE TV interview... Calling some fans "IDIOTS" that's my problem, and probably everyone else's..

You can't do/say that in a LIVE TV interview!!

"IDIOTGATE"

Has it been edited out on the SKY TV reruns? Can anyone confirm?

Yes his interview was edited around that cutting it out.

Yes his interview was edited around that cutting it out.

Which implies Sky did not approve. all you apologists take note

And since when were Sky the arbiters of good taste?

Edited by Wolfsbane
  • Like 1

No, you take note of the absolute lack of atmosphere, entertainment and fans at speedway tracks across the country.

Last night was Speedway at its very, very best. How it came across on tv having re-watched it was only 10% of what it was like live in the stadium. The Woffinden/Belle Vue fans situation played a big part in that and simply added to the occasion. We want MORE of that.

And since when were Sky the arbiters of good taste?

Never, but folk keep telling me Woffys outbursts are good publicity.....doesn't seem so in this instance lol

Agreed Woffinden was simply playing the game ;-) called #banter -

Wolverhampton may of won the Grand Final but speedway and Belle Vue Aces are winners with track. Just a shame the nearest tracks to me are Eastbourne + Lakeside ...

Must be a pleasure watching racing at the NSS regularly...

Edited by Hackett

No, you take note of the absolute lack of atmosphere, entertainment and fans at speedway tracks across the country.

Last night was Speedway at its very, very best. How it came across on tv having re-watched it was only 10% of what it was like live in the stadium. The Woffinden/Belle Vue fans situation played a big part in that and simply added to the occasion. We want MORE of that.

Not disputing that but were the interviews when he called fans idiots broadcast live at the track?

If so fair enough, if not your argument is without foundation as his comments had no effect on the atmosphere (I wasn't commenting on anything else)