British Speedway Forum
Col

Belle Vue Vs Wolves, Grand Final 2nd Leg, 5/10/16...

My god there's some drips on here!

Firstly, it was a top meeting on a superb racetrack and Belle Vue gave it a fair crack when others would have given up after the first leg; so credit to all the riders for putting on a show.

As far as Cook's reaction in heat 13 goes, it was understandable; he was fired up and from his point of view it would have felt like Lindgren chopped him, so I've no problem with him showing some emotion. I will add that as much as I think Lindgren is a dangerous twonk, I though the move was a fair one.

Cook had the piss taken out of him for his interview after by some dicks. For me, what we saw was someone who really cared and was genuinely hurting after losing; that's the kind of bloke I want in my team any day of the week.

As for the Tai stuff, once again it's the usual plumsacks who are wading into him, purely driven by their dislike of him. If a certain Dane does it, he's one of the sports characters who are sadly disappearing; if Tai does it, he's a disgrace blah, blah, blah, whinge, moan. Friends of mine were there last night, Belle Vue fans as it happens and they told me that it wasn't how some would have you believe. He wasn't just being booed, he was getting all kinds of verbal and hand gestures given to him by men and women, several with kids in tow. It was then he gave some back, he didn't instigate it. Should he have given it back? Too farken right he should!

All this old swill about role models; your role models are your parents, you shouldn't be relying on sportsman to be your kids role models, teach them right from wrong yourselves and if you're gonna stand there in front of your kids, giving the w**ker signs, calling him a c**t etc then your the ones responsible for how they conduct themselves. Tai stood up to them and so he should. Farken holier than thou's giving it the biggun and then squealing about it when they get it back. Morons.

I totally agree with you. What I would like to know is how many off these so called fans who do all shouting can ride a speedway bike and RACE it ???

And since when were Sky the arbiters of good taste?

Since they started putting the money up to make it happen.

I totally agree with you. What I would like to know is how many off these so called fans who do all shouting can ride a speedway bike and RACE it ???

No but I can string a sentence together without swear words and insults

• Like 3

Not disputing that but were the interviews when he called fans idiots broadcast live at the track?

If so fair enough, if not your argument is without foundation as his comments had no effect on the atmosphere (I wasn't commenting on anything else)

No they weren't broadcast live, but the Belle Vue announcers were making a big deal of them.

They told the Belle Vue fans early on that he was going to 'smoke them' and reported back everything he was saying in interviews.

It played a massive part in the atmosphere.

He was right to call certain fans idiots. There were some quite vitriolic things being aimed at him from a small % of the fans, aside from the standard pantomine booing etc.

But they were idiots?

So the Belle vue fans were idiots were they.I was in the grandstand the only chant i herd was who are ya and some boos just banter.In responce Wofinden used hand signals and calls us scum on social media.Guess who i think is the idiot

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 3

AMUSING moment at BV last night ... was chatting to hero Alan Wilkinson in the Peter Craven suite before the meeting, along with Dave Morton who had turned away and was looking out across the track.

Along came Chris Morton, who said: "Have you seen Mort?"

"I'm looking at him I replied somewhat incredulously."

"No, Mort, my brother."

Me: "He's about three feet away."

Chris: "Mort (to his brother) have you got that ticket I gave you?"

Dave: "Mort (to his brother), do you want it back?"

Chris: "Yes please Mort."

Dave: "Okay Mort."

By now my head was spinning.

As Mort (Chris) was walking away Mort (Dave) said: "Great, he's gives me a ticket then takes it away.

Wilkie and I were laughing. What a star Wilkie remains. Still doesn't mince his wards.

"Matej Zagar, I'd give him a kick up his ****

He was a giant when he rode for Belle Vue and remains so today.

Great to read about Wilkie, he immediately sprang to mind when it kicked off near the pit gate, the memories of that evening back in 72(?) against Leicester, Alan Cowland upset Wilkie on the track and all hell broke loose after the race, riders, mechanics and hangers on getting stuck in, Alan Morrey had his work cut out to calm it all down.

Wilkie was an inspirational captain for the Aces and a real character of the sport, he once climbed the ladder to the refs box at Saddlebow Rd in order to have a quiet word regarding an exclusion.

I wish I could have been there last night, the atmosphere in my living room was tense, it must have been electric to have been there, can't remember the last time I heard scores, if not hundreds, chanting like they did at Woffinden, pure drama.

As for Craig Cook, he loves Belle Vue Speedway and was so pumped up last night, maybe he did go a bit too far when confronting Lindgren but it made for brilliant viewing and just served to ramp up the tension, more of the same next season please, loved it..

Great advert for the sport, brilliant end to the season and Congratulations to Wolves, especially PK, lovely chap and I doubt anyone begrudges him that finale to his British career.

Roll on next season, can't wait.......

• Like 1

Calling fans scum is not banter, would he call Polish fans that? No bet he wouldn't! He just can't handle being booed, ah bless.

It's one thing blocking a rider by riding out to the fence forcing the rider BEHIND to shut off or slow, it's totally different when 3 riders are racing neck and neck and one of them (Lindgren) put Cookie in a sandwich between Lindgren and Zagar. There is a fine line between too tough and fair riding, Freddie overstepped it last night.

no he didn't , speedway is a tough game , it used to be worse than it is now but it's no picnic now , if you don't like it don't ride , lindgren was hard but if you want to be the best that's how you have to be, cooks reaction was to a point understandable and it was good to see he was genuinely distraught at the end , it showed it mattered unlike another member of the team who quite clearly couldn't of cared less
  • Like 2

So the Belle vue fans were idiots were they.I was in the grandstand the only chant i herd was who are ya and some boos just banter.In responce Wofinden used hand signals and calls us scum on social media.Guess who i think is the idiot

Erm, he's a double World Champion and 2 time EL winner. I think BV fans need to learn their place. That WAS disrespectful. If anything the Wolves should have been chanting it at BV and their riders, who are they exactly? 23 years without winning a league title and not a single senior World Championship medal between their 7 riders combined!

Asking a multi-World Champion, "who are ya" is the sign of an idiot to me!

No question that tai has character, just personally I think it stinks! Hancock may be dull, but he's a credit to the sport. I'm all up for crowd/rider interaction and banter, but for me, tai was the idiot, and so were the few idiots behaving like animals in front of kids.

Erm, he's a double World Champion and 2 time EL winner. I think BV fans need to learn their place. That WAS disrespectful. If anything the Wolves should have been chanting it at BV and their riders, who are they exactly? 23 years without winning a league title and not a single senior World Championship medal between their 7 riders combined!

Asking a multi-World Champion, "who are ya" is the sign of an idiot to me!

It's just a chant, one that's easy to get going, whoever started it last night should take a bow. Most football chants are inane but when delivered at the right time they can be genius.

Learn their place? Their place is supporting the most famous speedway club in the World, bar none.

I've always had time for Woffinden and have enjoyed watching him race, he was last night's pantomime villain and he played up to it, the idiots comment was nothing imo, unlike the "scum" comment he apparently made online later, that was going too far.

• Like 1

Great meeting, great advert at a world class stadium, great for PK to have a great night and make a vital contribution. I think some are being over critical of one or two riders, it is a grand final and obviously some cared more than others. Peter Adams has shown once again how to win and will be missed if he ever retires. Good luck to Wolves they deserved it. Belle Vue lost it in the first leg like they did last year. Pearson didn't like the fracas when mechanics got involved but it happens sometimes, they were not afraid to show Nicholls punch up at the Cardiff gp a few years ago. Just wish speedway could be like this more often.

• Like 1

Learn their place? Their place is supporting the most famous speedway club in the World, bar none.

The place? The one that says if you're going to chant, "who are ya" at the current and a multi-World Champion and boo him you have to expect a response. Why else were they doing it otherwise?

I've always had time for Woffinden and have enjoyed watching him race, he was last night's pantomime villain and he played up to it, the idiots comment was nothing imo, unlike the "scum" comment he apparently made online later, that was going too far.

There were far worse things shouted at Woffinden from a very small minority last night that I believe he is referring too with his comments.

I heard one particularly foul one referencing his late father.

The majority of it was perfectly fine, no harm in some booing etc, but a few can take it too far.

no he didn't , speedway is a tough game , it used to be worse than it is now but it's no picnic now , if you don't like it don't ride , lindgren was hard but if you want to be the best that's how you have to be, cooks reaction was to a point understandable and it was good to see he was genuinely distraught at the end , it showed it mattered unlike another member of the team who quite clearly couldn't of cared less

What planet you on?

It was never worse than it is now.Riders seems to think that now there is the air safety fence they can take more risks.