British Speedway Forum
Col

Belle Vue Vs Wolves, Grand Final 2nd Leg, 5/10/16...

The thing is with Tai is that he turned his back on British speedway...didn't ride the British final..turned his back on riding for England...then turned up as a second string purely for the players offs ....fair enough..he's entitled to do all that..but he can't complain if fans give him stick...he surely wouldn't have expected to turn up at Belle Vue and be cheered throughout by the home fans...he should have just laughed it off...after all..he won !

Personally though I think that speedway needs it's villains ..it needs a bit of needle ..it creates an atmosphere that is lacking when it's all too nicey nicey...we don't want a sport full of grinning non entaties at top level.

He's still the British World Champion. If he wins it again - and he's still only 26 - he can make a fair case to be named as the greatest British Speedway rider of all time because no other has won it 3 times. He was, by far and away, our top scorer in the World Cup and is our only world class rider.

He won't ride British Speedway for exactly the same reason as a lot of other top riders - too many meetings on too many different dates (although money probably has something to do with it).

We don't know why he won't ride for GB but we are talking about the BSPA being involved. As such, he could well have a very valid reason indeed.

What you are saying is that he is wrong not to ride in British Speedway and then also wrong when he does !

Personally, I didn't understand why he was abused and still don't understand it now.

Not sure ..people who say things about someone's dead dad are scum ...I think most would agree

In private I, for one, agree.

But, to me, that word is too strong to use on social media if you are a public figure to describe some of the fans of the sport in which you compete.

I like Tai and I was a neutral between BV and Wolves but it leaves a sour taste when clubs can bring in such as Tai and Antonio, just to try and grab the silverwear. I'd prefer it if the four clubs had to stick with the team that got them to the play-offs in the first place (they shouldn't be able to gain from so called injuries and other dubious absences). There's enough nonsense in Speedway already, without having to try and explain this sort of stuff to newcomers.

Woffindens inclusion in the Wolves team was for one reason only. To strengthen up for the playoffs. No other reason.

Poole had the change forced on them when Andersen badly broke his hand. He attempted to ride again but hasn't ridden since. One change tactical, one an injury replacement. Think its clear one team gained hugely while te other team never covered the injuries suitably.

We don't know why he won't ride for GB but we are talking about the BSPA being involved. As such, he could well have a very valid reason indeed.

The reason why Woffinden won't ride for teamGB has been given. He wanted a percentage of the winnings equivalent to the points he scored. This was refused as its always split equally amongst the riders.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, the SWC means far more to us fans than it does to Tai Woffinden. From his perspective, the World Championship is his absolute goal at the start of each season. The SWC means little, as in reality as this year showed, it doesn't matter how many points he might score, Great Britain has no chance of winning the gold medal.

As fans, we can all talk about the pride a rider should feel about riding for his country, but from a riders perspective if appearing for his country leaves him out of pocket there is far less incentive to ride. I can't say whether that applies to Tai Woffinden, as I wouldn't wish to speculate how much each Great Britain rider earned, but if expenses exceed earnings it is as good reason as any not to ride.

• Like 1

I don't see any issue at all with Wolves tracking Tai.

Yes, his cma isn't reflective of his true ability but he attained that cma whilst riding for Wolves.

It's only right that Wolves benefit from his low cma as they had to endure the 'under achievements ' the season prior.

• Like 3

As a neutral and no particular fan of Tai, I think a lot of different things are getting tangled up here.

I don't really see how Tai has a particular obligation to ride in UK Speedwáy. He is a professional in a career that could come brutally to an end at very short notice, and if his best income is from abroad, so be it, just as is the case for any other sportsman, musician, tradesman or businessman.

We don't know why he won't ride for GB but we doknow the BSPA have an abysmal record of paying riders late and so little they are out of pocket.

It's not Tai's fault the rules allowed him to be drafted in to the Wolves team on a ridiculous average. I find it rather distasteful that it happened but Tai was only a pawn in that game. It's not for him to decide what's right or wrong in that respect. He got a job offer that suited him and he took it.

I do however think he does himself no credit with his public pronouncements and the language that he uses. Nicki Pedersen has the personality to take on the pantomime villain role and get away with it. Few others can. Tai is not particularly articulate with his adjectives and to my mind shows himself up. He could and say the same things far more low key and far more effectively . He almost invites slanging matches. To illustrate, look at the thread about Peter Karlsson. Everybody he agrees he is a great rider and a great bloke. With Tai, the plaudits are likely to be limited to great rider. He has neither the personality nor the vocabulary to be impressive in his public staements, but he could still be a great champion all round by conducting himself with a bit more decorum, a bit more like PK.

Bottom line I suppose is that those fans who were winding Tai up were paying £19+ to do so, and in effect paying his wages. The same can't be said for the BV announcer though who really needs to sacking.

We can only deal with what he actually said, or posted, the quote you posted stated fans were scum for booing him. Only one poster on here has said they actually heard anything specific and they said it was about his dad, if true that is unforgivable but other than that it's just booing and chanting who are ya.

Plenty have said how the crowd helped to ramp up the already tense atmosphere, surely that is a positive, booing comes with the territory if you want an atmosphere. I dread to think what would have happened if he'd slid off in his tac ride, Aces fans would be accused of cheering a fallen rider blah blah blah.

So, one person has said they heard abuse mentioning Rob and we all latch on to that, fair enough.

It was a fantastic final and it's a shame this thread has ended up with backbiting about something someone random happened to hear.

no one knows what Woffy did or didn't hear. Maybe he was already riled by the excessive booing. Either way he had the last laugh.

You say 'Aces fans' but how do you know it wasn't just one? Hardly likely to have been heard by Tai anyway as I'm sure with his big mouth he would have said something during one of his interviews. I can't see anything wrong with a bit of 'Who are ya?' chanting, which I could hear on YouTube when watching the match later. It all seemed to add to the atmosphere.

Aces fans/Aces fan.does it matter? Comment was despicable, the who are ya comments is going to wind anyone up. However the result is more important, wolves and Woffy won, Aces fans nil. Music to my ears!

Yes, but if he called them that for just the booing then that is out of order imo.

that's debatable, hence why it's still being discussed.

Trouble is Woffinden has turned his back on the EL until it suited him, then told Rosco to stick TeamGB up his jacksie. Does he really still think he is our popular World Champ?

He is, the fans at Cardiff proved that and will again next season.

Must try harder.

Just catching up with this meeting.

All this talk about Woffy being unprofessional.

Ht9 Richie Worrall swears when interviewed - very unprofessional.

Ht10 Cook virtually storms across in front of PK on the 4th bend and could have been nasty if he clipped Peter yet behaves like a petulant child when it's done to him. Don't dish it if you can't take it back.

Ht11 the belle Vue team manager swearing in an interview prior to the race. Even worse professional behaviour.

Haven't yet heard any Wolves swearing.

So when are teams allowed to strengthen up? Whenever a team makes a change it will be unfair on some other team - maybe a team that hasn't ridden against the 'before changes' team. Why should it matter when...every team is still trying to win the competition.

Edited by alkadera

I didn't really listen to the announcer, he was telling us it was going to be a "sensationally close finish to the meeting" after heat 14! :D

He didn't incite the crowd either. There were a decent number booing Tai from the off but as soon as he gave the birdie after his first ride the numbers multiplied.

I was at Belle Vue but frankly was enjoying my Burger and Hot Dog to much to give anybody any stick : )

Life is to short , it was a superb meeting and congratulations to Wolves - deserved winners

Tai is a quality rider and double world champion , met him on a couple of occasions and not a lot of time for the chap in honesty but not denying his ability on a bike but not my cup of tea / but may mature with age

But the 15 Year old daughter thinks he is great and thats what got her into the sport so not all bad , she's like a walking TW shop and it does generate conversation amongst her friends and her pride and joy is a Tai Race Jacket so what makes her happy makes me :)

Edited by ProperSport
  • Like 3

Got to laugh at the usual Poole fan so so so jealous that his team missed out on the final and then has the total audacity to complain about a team strengthening up in time for the play offs!! It's hilarious how many times Poole have changed their teams over the years for the play offs and we are told it's because 'Ford is a wonderful promotor and the others never act'. Well guess what Wolves bought in the World Champion on a legitimate average so no wrong doing at all. Unlike Poole who replaced 'a long term' injury victim with a mercenary in Lindback (10 years since he rode here?) who is on the world top ten on a totally false average. Poole tried a masterstroke and failed. What a great advert for our sport that second leg was and the banter with Woffy was just that. Used to love the old days when we would boo the opposition top rider all in good nature and it made for a good night with no morons overstepping the mark. I remember Ermolenko and Correy at Foxhall getting a 5-1 in the last heat and riding round on the stock car track standing up cupping their hand to their ears with loads of boos. All good fun. Oh and Woffy called some fans idiots which said Poole fan can't stand his attitude but defended everything Darcy Ward did....laughable

• Like 2

Woffindens inclusion in the Wolves team was for one reason only. To strengthen up for the playoffs. No other reason.

Poole had the change forced on them when Andersen badly broke his hand. He attempted to ride again but hasn't ridden since. One change tactical, one an injury replacement. Think its clear one team gained hugely while te other team never covered the injuries suitably.

You've heard the phrase "cheats never prosper". Wolves won the EL, Poole didn't QED!

• Like 1

I like Tai and I was a neutral between BV and Wolves but it leaves a sour taste when clubs can bring in such as Tai and Antonio, just to try and grab the silverwear. I'd prefer it if the four clubs had to stick with the team that got them to the play-offs in the first place (they shouldn't be able to gain from so called injuries and other dubious absences). There's enough nonsense in Speedway already, without having to try and explain this sort of stuff to newcomers.

Lmao.. the old 'newcomers' line.

I'll tell you exactly what 'newcomers' would think... what on earth is the other team moaning about!

I didn't really listen to the announcer, he was telling us it was going to be a "sensationally close finish to the meeting" after heat 14! :D

He didn't incite the crowd either. There were a decent number booing Tai from the off but as soon as he gave the birdie after his first ride the numbers multiplied.

The announcer was inciting from the moment the teams were introduced.

Where was this 'birdie' given after his first ride? I didn't notice it on the night and on the tv coverage he simply rides down the home straight with a slight wave... it cuts off before he reaches the pits but I'd expect to hear some noise from the fans if he did that and there is nothing...

The last shot you can see, as the scores disappear from the screen Tai is just beginning to walk off track.. and everyone is sat quietly in the stands... surely if he's just given them the birdie they'd be on their feet shouting?

So, as said, interested to know when this birdie took place?

Edited by BWitcher

It was to the part of the grandstand next to the pits. Where most of the original "banter" was coming from. It happened. I guarantee it. And it happened again after his 2nd and 3rd rides...

• Like 1

It was to the part of the grandstand next to the pits. Where most of the original "banter" was coming from. It happened. I guarantee it. And it happened again after his 2nd and 3rd rides...

Fair enough, as said, can't see that part on the TV coverage.

All adds to the fun though!

• Like 1

Woffinden has edited his Facebook scum comment and taken that word out. By doing so he must be accepting he shouldn't have said it in the first place so credit to him at least for that.

• Like 3