British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
soupy

Edinburgh 2017

'there are none so blind as those that will not see' or words to that effect.

It isnt about Mark Riss, Campton, Gappmaier, Wallner or any other individual rider. Many get too hung up about an individual favourite from their own team rather than the bigger picture.

Its about setting a standard at 5 which seemed a sensible level only to alter the next year to suit rather than stick to an agreed principle.

UK Speedway would be more credible if it did not impose artificial averages on any rider based on nationality, once they have achieved an actual GSA.

No problem with overseas riders being given an assessed starting average which reflects their previous experience (foreign league exposure, SGP participation etc.), but once they have an actual GSA , they should then be treated the same as UK nationals.

When Speedway was thriving in the UK, we did not have this nonsense of discriminating against overseas riders.

If they were not good enough, they were binned, and if anyone believes that a Promoter would hang on to foreign duds, I'd be interested to know if anyone can give examples and whether they sought an explanation from the said Promoter.

• Like 2

UK Speedway would be more credible if it did not impose artificial averages on any rider based on nationality, once they have achieved an actual GSA.

No problem with overseas riders being given an assessed starting average which reflects their previous experience (foreign league exposure, SGP participation etc.), but once they have an actual GSA , they should then be treated the same as UK nationals.

When Speedway was thriving in the UK, we did not have this nonsense of discriminating against overseas riders.

If they were not good enough, they were binned, and if anyone believes that a Promoter would hang on to foreign duds, I'd be interested to know if anyone can give examples and whether they sought an explanation from the said Promoter.

It depends on what you call "good enough" though, doesn't it? New Aussie coming in on a 5, achieves a 4. Good enough? New Aussie comes in on a 5, been around for years, still hasn't achieved a 4 and is now classed as British. Good enough? New Aussie comes in on a 5, a few years later becomes World Champion. Good enough.

• Like 2

Mark Riss on a 4 is an absolute steal

IF Pickering can do a decent job then this team is better than last year.

I will have some of what your smoking please

The heat leader trio of Masters , Wolbert and Fisher is stronger than this years Masters, Wells and Riss

Second strings last year the Riss brothers are stronger than Pickering and Clegg

And this years reserves Riss and Davey similar to Clegg and Bewley last year.

A half decent side now the limit is lowered but better than last year? Not by a long shot

dont think thats the case.

During those times there were only a few non Brits outside the top tier (coming in on a 9 I think) and those in the top flight had to achieve 6 to stay there.

• Like 1

If we need to discriminate against foreign riders by assessing them all on a minimum of five to get rid of the sub standard ones then so be it. If they were that good clubs would still sign them on five.

As for Davey, I don't really like the fact that he is clogging up a team place which a youngster could potentially take up but at the end of the day he has a British passport so there is no argument.

• Like 2

happy new year to our friends over the wall . :party:

• Like 1

If we need to discriminate against foreign riders by assessing them all on a minimum of five to get rid of the sub standard ones then so be it. If they were that good clubs would still sign them on five.

As for Davey, I don't really like the fact that he is clogging up a team place which a youngster could potentially take up but at the end of the day he has a British passport so there is no argument.

Agree with you to a certain extent. Trouble is there is a severe lack of promising GB "youngsters".

dont think thats the case.

During those times there were only a few non Brits outside the top tier (coming in on a 9 I think) and those in the top flight had to achieve 6 to stay there.

Where did you get this information from ?

I can provide some hard facts regarding National League newcomers in 1990:-

Edinburgh's Danish newcomer, Frede Schott was assigned an initial GSA of 2.00, whilst Aussie first timers, such as Ipswich's Shane Parker, started on 3.00

Can you provide provide actual facts to support your memory/thinking :rolleyes:

and if the likes of craig cook and a few others had polish passports do you think they would get a ride instead of a upcoming pole

i think not

Edinburgh's Danish newcomer, Frede Schott was assigned an initial GSA of 2.00, whilst Aussie first timers, such as Ipswich's Shane Parker, started on 3.00

As did Jason Crump in 1992 , happy new year Cyclone

• Like 1

devils advocate would say post 1990 doesnt represent when the sport was thriving....

Perhaps the two are linked....

devils advocate would say post 1990 doesnt represent when the sport was thriving....

Perhaps the two are linked....

Nice sidestep to avoid providing hard facts to support your thinking :wink:

Agree with you to a certain extent. Trouble is there is a severe lack of promising GB "youngsters".

I would say that the NL is churning out more and more youngsters each year.

• Like 3

there are a few riders in nl yes but are they ready/good enough for higher leagues

some can hold there own against the lower end riders yes but most are not ready