British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Which Teams Will Line Up To Contest The 2017 Elite League?

Yeah but the right nod and wink to Louis from his masters at Sky could change all that!! ;-)

Can understand Hawkins being reluctant as he'll be way out of his depth in the EL.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Yeah but the right nod and wink to Louis from his masters at Sky could change all that!! ;-)

Can understand Hawkins being reluctant as he'll be way out of his depth in the EL.

Plus a few thousand £ to "make improvements" may help.

Edited by A ORLOV

Plus a few thousand £ to "make improvements" may help.

What the already planned reshaping of the track or the Start/Finish Line stand plan's to be torn down and rebuilt this winter .

Not so many seasons back, the Elite League consisted of ten clubs; for the last few it's been eight.

In the last ten years Birmingham, Oxford, Reading, Ipswich, Peterborough & Eastbourne have either folded or dropped out of the EL as they could no longer afford to be in it.

Earlier in this thread I read posts suggesting clubs that "may" find themselves in the EL. To prevent a mid season collapse, will we see a scenario where any club applying for EL membership must prove their financial backing, (a bit like air lines having an ATOL licence)?

Rye House wont be Elite don't think any PL would step up

they wont have to , the whole elite league will step down

The answer is to run one race night, a home meeting every fortnight. That will get the top riders back. If a promotion wants to have a meeting a week then run a NL side on weeks that the EL team is away. Helps riders to develop, is cheaper for fans and also gives them their weekly fix.

If only it was that simple , both Coventry and Leicester have run Nl sides , and nobody goes to the NL matches ,

Not so many seasons back, the Elite League consisted of ten clubs; for the last few it's been eight.

In the last ten years Birmingham, Oxford, Reading, Ipswich, Peterborough & Eastbourne have either folded or dropped out of the EL as they could no longer afford to be in it.

Earlier in this thread I read posts suggesting clubs that "may" find themselves in the EL. To prevent a mid season collapse, will we see a scenario where any club applying for EL membership must prove their financial backing, (a bit like air lines having an ATOL licence)?

Id say that perhaps its the EL that has to be giving certain assurances to any club moving up rather than the way round you have it.

The EL needs new clubs much more than any club needs the EL......

• Like 1

One problem is the pot of gold that comes from Sky the pot split 8 way or 10 ways the pot will be the same size so can anyone see the 8 allowing 2 new comers in when the 8 is going to lose some of the Sky cash ? Unless one or more drops out none will move up .

One problem is the pot of gold that comes from Sky the pot split 8 way or 10 ways the pot will be the same size so can anyone see the 8 allowing 2 new comers in when the 8 is going to lose some of the Sky cash ? Unless one or more drops out none will move up .

there is not a great pot of gold . by the time Gospeed have had their cut ,theres not much left

I do not think there is a pot which is shared out any more, I may be wrong but I seem to remember that now after they have paid go slow they only pay the club from where they are showing a meeting.

Heard from a reliable source that Rye House are replacing Leicester in the Notso Elite League.

Have to say not my first choice but will give it a chance as any speedway at Rye should be welcomed (I am sure Plymouth and Berwick would prefer it to their current situation)

From what we have heard from Dave Darcy on Radio Leicester. The Lions are going to be running in the EL.

I think what you say on the Sky money issue is true. The big cash incentive that they used to give to Speedway stopped when they took up the new 5 year contract. Now instead of the Million or so they now pay the club that is being telivised, not sure if it is both clubs or just the home club. They now get a pittance to what they used to pay. Instead of the Millions it is now only thousands.

I am sure they could have got a better deal from one of the other broadcasters. Not sure though if any of them really want to bother with speedway any more. Euro Sport dropped the GP's because of falling viewers, did they even bother with the Swedish league this year not sure. BT Sport pulled a fast one they showed the 1st GP on thier free channel and then started showing it on BT Sport 2, so you had to pay BT £10 subscription to be able to watch it.

Think they would be far better showing meetings on free to view can't get that mmany watching it now anyway. Or as been stated before just half a twice a week one hour round up, But the cost would be greater as they would have to send camera crews to record all the meetings unlessthe clubs record it themselves and pass it on to the broadcasters, but not someone with a mobile phone showing a very dark picture and then someone nudges him and you see a good view of the sky.

Speedway need to develope a UFC fight pass deal for speedway fans, I'd restructure speedway meaning the sky deal is dead and open for renegotiation.

You could for example have the play offs and league matches on sky, league matches streamed online selected meetings of course.

BT sport, itv4 or even Dave may take other competitions if created by british speedway

From what we have heard from Dave Darcy on Radio Leicester. The Lions are going to be running in the EL.

I think what you say on the Sky money issue is true. The big cash incentive that they used to give to Speedway stopped when they took up the new 5 year contract. Now instead of the Million or so they now pay the club that is being telivised, not sure if it is both clubs or just the home club. They now get a pittance to what they used to pay. Instead of the Millions it is now only thousands.

I am sure they could have got a better deal from one of the other broadcasters. Not sure though if any of them really want to bother with speedway any more. Euro Sport dropped the GP's because of falling viewers, did they even bother with the Swedish league this year not sure. BT Sport pulled a fast one they showed the 1st GP on thier free channel and then started showing it on BT Sport 2, so you had to pay BT £10 subscription to be able to watch it.

Think they would be far better showing meetings on free to view can't get that mmany watching it now anyway. Or as been stated before just half a twice a week one hour round up, But the cost would be greater as they would have to send camera crews to record all the meetings unlessthe clubs record it themselves and pass it on to the broadcasters, but not someone with a mobile phone showing a very dark picture and then someone nudges him and you see a good view of the sky.

You do write some rubbish on occasions. For your information Eurosport did not drop the GP's. they were outbid by BT and were gutted to have lost the contract.

Unless a sponsor comes along with an open cheque book I doubt Ipswich would gamble the future of the sport in the county town to make up the numbers in the EL. PL is sustainable and the limited number of regular meetings in the ElL giving a short season is not what the Ipswich supporters appear to want. They seem keen on the weekly fix throughout the season and my only regret is the 16 Lapper as a finale was not held this year. Maybe a sponsor can be found for this great meeting next year. Looking forward to more PL at Foxhall next year.

Swedish speedway was shown on Eurosport as was the European Championships and some very good meetings at that. Hopefully they continue coverage next year.