British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

The Collapse Of The Pound And The Effect On The El

With the pound plumetting to a 30 year low due to, imo a dreadful brexit vote, and only worth 1.05 euros as I type this, will it mean the end to european riders heading to our shores?

12 month ago a pound was worth 1.35 euros. The carnage caused by the brexit vote hasn't yet hit us Brits yet, if we stay in the UK. Travel abroad and you will soon discover the pound doesn't go very far. In fact it has lost a huge chunk of its value compared to the dollar and euro.

So will european riders demand to be paid in euros, or will they just say its not worth it? If they are offered a similar deal to last year their money will be way down when converted to euros.

A serious problem facing EL promotions.

Thoughts?

• Like 6

How many riders does it affect who do not reside in the UK looking at it as a guess I'm thinking maybe 15 Elite League riders?

They can't expect to be paid in Euros you get paid in the currency where you work but yes can probably see riders asking for a fixed amount to make it worth while before a point is scored

The £ value is temporary and could be back up next week when the money boys have profited considerably.

Brexit is permanent - allegerly and could Impact visas for clubs in future.

The £ value is temporary and could be back up next week when the money boys have profited considerably.

Brexit is permanent - allegerly and could Impact visas for clubs in future.

Experts state the pound is likely to fall considerably more before levelling off, and this is before Brexit even takes place.

Not many people will be holidaying abroad but I guess the caravan manufacturers will be booming.

Riders in the EL who will be affected. There are more in the PL.

Zagar

Lindgren

Thorsell

KK

Woryna

Iversen

Jonsson

Nilsson

Hougaard

Klindt

Wozniak

L Lindgren

Buczkowski

Andersen

Pedersen

• Like 1

Experts state the pound is likely to fall considerably more before levelling off, and this is before Brexit even takes place.

Not many people will be holidaying abroad but I guess the caravan manufacturers will be booming.

Zagar

Lindgren

Thorsell

KK

Woryna

Iversen

Jonsson

Nilsson

Hougaard

Klindt

Wozniak

L Lindgren

Buczkowski

Andersen

Pedersen

quite agree don't think many people have thought about the situation after brexit visa's for a start from a speedway point of view the outcome could be quite devastating

Yes it's time to 'seize the day' as our PM eloquently put it.

I recall when the old First division of football couldn't afford to keep the few top players we produced and most

went abroad for much bigger rewards - it's turned around alarmingly now but to the detriment of football in general imo.

Zagar

Lindgren

Thorsell

KK

Woryna

Iversen

Jonsson

Nilsson

Hougaard

Klindt

Wozniak

L Lindgren

Buczkowski

Andersen

Pedersen

So none of us will ever go on holiday abroad again I've just looked at a holiday in Turkey in June 350 a head not to bad you would spend more for a week in Bournemouth.
  • Like 2

It's a weird one isn't it and again this adds up for two sides of the coin for fans especially on this forum.

In the red corner we have, one half of the forum says "This league is too weak. This isn't Elite. Get the GP riders in and it will attract a lot more fans. I am not paying 17 pound for these lineups in this watered down Premier League type match", etc etc etc.

And in the blue corner we have, the other half of the forum saying "We have to take a stand against the GP riders using are league like a flying circus. Oh this foreign rider isn't trying but trys in Poland. This GP rider again has failed to turn up for another meeting. This foreign GP rider just isn't dedicated to the team and the Elite League. Oh he isn't injured as he just got a maximum in the GP the other day", etc etc etc.

I am not sure what speedway fans want by the sound of it.

As for Brexit, I was disgusted with the result and I think we will be affected in a bad way but another rules or thought weren't put down by the leaders of this country but then that's another story.

So none of us will ever go on holiday abroad again I've just looked at a holiday in Turkey in June 350 a head not to bad you would spend more for a week in Bournemouth.

Just wait till you get out there and order a round. Of course cheaper than the UK in Turkey but their tourism is shot due to terrorist scares and comparing what it would cost you next year compared to this, you won't get the same value.

It's a weird one isn't it and again this adds up for two sides of the coin for fans especially on this forum.

In the red corner we have, one half of the forum says "This league is too weak. This isn't Elite. Get the GP riders in and it will attract a lot more fans. I am not paying 17 pound for these lineups in this watered down Premier League type match", etc etc etc.

And in the blue corner we have, the other half of the forum saying "We have to take a stand against the GP riders using are league like a flying circus. Oh this foreign rider isn't trying but trys in Poland. This GP rider again has failed to turn up for another meeting. This foreign GP rider just isn't dedicated to the team and the Elite League. Oh he isn't injured as he just got a maximum in the GP the other day", etc etc etc.

I am not sure what speedway fans want by the sound of it.

As for Brexit, I was disgusted with the result and I think we will be affected in a bad way but another rules or thought weren't put down by the leaders of this country but then that's another story.

I think the blue corner wins hands down - apart from Jason Doyle the rest are not worth their expense.

As for Brexit the political situation in this country is far more worrying as we appear to have a one party state.

• Like 1

The days of having a cheap holiday in England are long gone people will still go abroad unless you prefer Weston Super Mare.

The caravan and camping industry is booming in the UK.