British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

The Collapse Of The Pound And The Effect On The El

You are not the only one biting their lip. I could explode with rage at the future carnage and devastation this country will face in the next few years, because of one of the main viewpoints of keeping the migrants from the EU out of the UK. And the farcical thing is, we cant. Our main trading partners are the EU and they have us over a barrel.

We are all going to suffer badly. Still as you say, we can discuss such disasters on the general chat section.

Ye man of no faith. We are a great country and being in the EU just suffocated our existence. In 5 yrs time we will again be strong and dictate our own rules. and every country in the world will want to deal with us...... The future looks good..... :t:

The trouble is , you being a Poole man, obviously think that all deals are done over a barrel

• Like 2

Which could end with the league being a shambles full of guests every meeting and possibly a few top riders who are far better than the rest and make more people decide to stay at home instead of travel to their nearest track.The big problem seems to be the UK leagues aren't in charge of their own destiny,but have to try and adapt to the decisions of others.Not good

Why would the league be full of guests, if foreign riders are not signed it means probably either a lower standard of riders for a couple of years or less clubs. There are a few clubs looking dodgy at the moment so they could drop to a lower league and just use riders that want to ride here.

I do agree with what you say about the UK leagues not being in charge of their own destiny but maybe this is the shake up that the bspa need.

Why would the league be full of guests, if foreign riders are not signed it means probably either a lower standard of riders for a couple of years or less clubs.

Because like you say,others have to be signed.Probably double up as there just aren't enough riders to go round.Then you are stretching resources to the very limit..You can't afford any clashes of fixtures or injuries, which are inevitable, as are guests........vicious circle.Unfortunately the UK just doesn't at the moment produce enough riders to supply the demand

Edited by iris123

Because like you say,others have to be signed.Probably double up as there just aren't enough riders to go round.Then you are stretching resources to the very limit..You can't afford any clashes of fixtures or injuries, which are inevitable, as are guests........vicious circle.Unfortunately the UK just doesn't at the moment produce enough riders to supply the demand

Agreed and unless more training is bought in it may mean that unfortunately clubs close.

I understand that at the moment the bspa has a rule stating that a promoter cannot be a promoter of both an EL and PL club. If that is the case it stops a club having both which in turn has a ready supply of guests from the PL for the EL club as well as the advantage of bringing on the youngsters. If this is the case it just shows how short sighted the bspa is.

Hopefully next season Swindon will have a NL team from which there might be a rider or two we can use.

Edited by A ORLOV

You think riders are going to decide upon racing in the UK based on forever fluctuating currency?

I don't think that will even be a factor in their decision making. The pound has fell in value yes but has not collapsed, if it was to do so then it may be a consideration point. It will probably be back up in a few weeks time and then go down.......

Yes - because it has happened before. Bernt Persson and Bengt Jansson both abandoned their teams mid season when the pound collapsed in 1976.

Not just speedway riders, it impacts on people in pretty much any profession.

I was seriously considering returning to the UK to work, but the decline of the GBP against the NZD means I'd now want an extra 20k on the package to make it worth moving.

Some may say that's a good thing in that it means less competition for jobs for Brits, the flipside is whether you want the most skilled people available working in Britain?

Greatie Yarmouth "custom did you go there? was that once the Blackpool of Norfolk.!!

Back in the 60's we would go by coach to Great Yarmouth for the day then on to Kings Lynn to cheer on the 'Ammers. Great days.

• Like 1

I thought the Brexit Vote was a wonderful result. For us living in East Anglia we had lost out town, we had lost our society, taken over by the number of migrant. I'm all for anything in moderation but the numbers here are mind boggling.

When I voted to leave, believe or not, I didn't give speedway a thought..... It was not that important...

Do you really think you are going to get your town back, your society back etc because I don't. They are here to stay. And it won't be so easy as many think to reduce immigration either.

• Like 1

Do you really think you are going to get your town back, your society back etc because I don't. They are here to stay. And it won't be so easy as many think to reduce immigration either.

It;s rare to hear an English voice in Thetford today.

• Like 1

No, I don't suppose we will. But, it appears there are many places in the UK that are not affected by the numbers we have in this neck of the woods. So I could always up sticks and move to elsewhere, at the moment.

But that was not the only consideration in our vote. There are many things. Even our own family had different views. It seemed the younger generation wanted to stay while the older ones wanted out. They always have lived in this environment and know no other, whereas us older ones can remember what is was once like.

I'm of the belief once it has got sorted we will be far better off in every way. We can dictate our own country and deal with whoever. Some of the ruling of this EU is farcical, and we have to pay through the nose to be part of it. No, the sooner we're out the better....

• Like 2

Not many of these migrants have ventured down our way. I do hear the occasional Polish voice at car boot but thats about it.

No, I don't suppose we will. But, it appears there are many places in the UK that are not affected by the numbers we have in this neck of the woods. So I could always up sticks and move to elsewhere, at the moment.

But that was not the only consideration in our vote. There are many things. Even our own family had different views. It seemed the younger generation wanted to stay while the older ones wanted out. They always have lived in this environment and know no other, whereas us older ones can remember what is was once like.

I'm of the belief once it has got sorted we will be far better off in every way. We can dictate our own country and deal with whoever. Some of the ruling of this EU is farcical, and we have to pay through the nose to be part of it. No, the sooner we're out the better....

My point is GRW is that what concerns me is that immigration is the no1 issue that most people that voted to leave that I have spoken to and they won't get what they have voted for. But individuals and companies are going to have to go through a lot of pain and suffering to achieve what?!!!!

It;s rare to hear an English voice in Thetford today.

It is not only Thetford, some on here and on the europe thread need to visit some of these places and see why so many have voted to halt unlimited immigration.

Edited by A ORLOV

My point is GRW is that what concerns me is that immigration is the no1 issue that most people that voted to leave that I have spoken to and they won't get what they have voted for. But individuals and companies are going to have to go through a lot of pain and suffering to achieve what?!!!!

I honestly don't agree with their perception. These individuals and companies are looking at their own idealistic way and can only see problems. But the bigger picture shows a far better light in that we have always brought more than we sell. EU countries aren't going to stop us trading when it will hurt them more than us. We are the 5th biggest economy in the world, and we are more than strong enough to fight our own battles and deal with who we want. We went to war to fight against dictatorship and here in the EU, we pay a kings ransom to be part of the same thing.

I also feel the EU, as we know today, is getting weaker, and give it a couple years, there will be more countries following UK lead....

Not many of these migrants have ventured down our way. I do hear the occasional Polish voice at car boot but thats about it.

Probably a good idea to move down there ..... :party:

• Like 1

There is no winner out of the vote.

Half the country who voted to stay have been led up the creek by the just overhalf who wanted out.

So what are we to gain by severing our links with our main trading partners? Nothing but hardship Imo.

The pound is already suffering the consequences of the vote and is expected to dive even further in the coming months and years. This will mean massive rises in fuel prices which will affect everyone. So far we have been lucky in that oil prices have been low but as the pound falls fuel will rise as its paid for in Dollars. I hope we dont hear moans from the brexit brigade as petrol prices go through the roof.

As for trade, well the brexit mob say we can deal with the world. Sure we can, except the trade agreements are tariff laden. The EU will not under any circumstances allow us to trade with them on an equal footing unless we agree to their demands. So keeping our borders wide open. So isn't that one of the main reasons why people voted brexit? What do they want? Closed borders and visas to enter the UK, or an even playing field with the rest of Europe.

It has been stated we will get our way as the Germans will still want to sell their cars here. I don't believe that for a minute. There is no way the eu will allow us to trade freely with europe without tarrifs. Otherwise what is the point of the eu? They will want to make an example out of the uk so other countries don't have the same thoughts.

As for immigration. The horse has already bolted. And closed borders mean no trade deals. We wont be dealing the cards and the card holder has them stacked in their favour.

I believe the brexit vote will have catastrophic consequences for the citizens of the UK.

All doom and gloom? Yep.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 4

There is no winner out of the vote.

Half the country who voted to stay have been led up the creek by the just overhalf who wanted out.

So what are we to gain by severing our links with our main trading partners? Nothing but hardship Imo.

The pound is already suffering the consequences of the vote and is expected to dive even further in the coming months and years. This will mean massive rises in fuel prices which will affect everyone. So far we have been lucky in that oil prices have been low but as the pound falls fuel will rise as its paid for in Dollars. I hope we dont hear moans from the brexit brigade as petrol prices go through the roof.

As for trade, well the brexit mob say we can deal with the world. Sure we can, except the trade agreements are tariff laden. The EU will not under any circumstances allow us to trade with them on an equal footing unless we agree to their demands. So keeping our borders wide open. So isn't that one of the main reasons why people voted brexit? What do they want? Closed borders and visas to enter the UK, or an even playing field with the rest of Europe.

It has been stated we will get our way as the Germans will still want to sell their cars here. I don't believe that for a minute. There is no way the eu will allow us to trade freely with europe without tarrifs. Otherwise what is the point of the eu? They will want to make an example out of the uk so other countries don't have the same thoughts.

As for immigration. The horse has already bolted. And closed borders mean no trade deals. We wont be dealing the cards and the card holder has them stacked in their favour.

I believe the brexit vote will have catastrophic consequences for the citizens of the UK.

All doom and gloom? Yep.

This post is Blinkered by your own view,which i don't share in the long-term we will be stronger as a nation.We are the fifth richest nation so we should be able to ride the storm can you not see the EU was a sinking ship anyway.?