British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

02/10/1964 Newport V Newcastle

The Newport and Newcastle team files on Speedway Researcher return a result of 54-48 from 17 heats. The Newcastle programme of 12/10 reports the score as 52-44 for the Wasps.

17 heats seems a bit strange but if you were to remove the final heat, a 3-3, the result still wouldn't tally.

Anyone tidy this one up for me?

Edit: I've found the 17-heat formula in action at Poole so looks likely that the Newcastle programme is wrong.

Edited by daveallan81

The Newport and Newcastle team files on Speedway Researcher return a result of 54-48 from 17 heats. The Newcastle programme of 12/10 reports the score as 52-44 for the Wasps.

17 heats seems a bit strange but if you were to remove the final heat, a 3-3, the result still wouldn't tally.

Anyone tidy this one up for me?

Edit: I've found the 17-heat formula in action at Poole so looks likely that the Newcastle programme is wrong.

54-48 matches the details I have. The Wasps fans got value for money that night, with the match raced over 17 heats, then in addition to the 4 programmed second half races an extra junior riders' heat was added. This was an increase on the week before when the Wasps defeated Cradley Heath over 16 heats in the first leg of the KO Cup final, with only one second half race. I suspect BOBBATH was at those meetings.

• Like 1

Yes BL65, I indeed woz there-still have the progs(looking at the Newcastle one right now).. The Newcastle meeting was called the McAlpine Challenge Shield. Really Newcastle were invited back to Newport for a revenge meeting as the Diamonds were the only team to beat Newport at Somerton Park in the PL that year. Wasps won 54-48, as BL65 states. Mauger scored a 15 point max for the Diamonds, Bill Andrew scored 9, Ken Sharples 8 and Pete Kelly 7. For the Wasps Dick Bradley scored 12 from 5 and Geoff Penniket(unusually) was second highest scorer with 10 (beating Pete Kelly and Jack Winstanley in his only race win). Wot a great team the 1964 Diamonds were. A wonderful evening was had by all- I might even have had a pint(or three)of Whitbread Trophy in the Supporters Club bar afterwards!!! Hard to believe this was 52 years ago. This thread brought back great memories. P.S.While I'm at it, whatever happened to Whitbread Trophy and Watneys Red Barrel beers-on my last trip over they were unavailable-maybe went out at the same time decimal currency came in!!!!!!!!

BOBBATH, perhaps Trophy and Red Barrel were dropped to the 'lower league' or 'second half' in favour of foreign imports, particularly Danish and Dutch 'stars' including Carlsberg and Heineken, before being retired.

Yes BL65, I indeed woz there-still have the progs(looking at the Newcastle one right now).. The Newcastle meeting was called the McAlpine Challenge Shield. Really Newcastle were invited back to Newport for a revenge meeting as the Diamonds were the only team to beat Newport at Somerton Park in the PL that year. Wasps won 54-48, as BL65 states. Mauger scored a 15 point max for the Diamonds, Bill Andrew scored 9, Ken Sharples 8 and Pete Kelly 7. For the Wasps Dick Bradley scored 12 from 5 and Geoff Penniket(unusually) was second highest scorer with 10 (beating Pete Kelly and Jack Winstanley in his only race win). Wot a great team the 1964 Diamonds were. A wonderful evening was had by all- I might even have had a pint(or three)of Whitbread Trophy in the Supporters Club bar afterwards!!! Hard to believe this was 52 years ago. This thread brought back great memories. P.S.While I'm at it, whatever happened to Whitbread Trophy and Watneys Red Barrel beers-on my last trip over they were unavailable-maybe went out at the same time decimal currency came in!!!!!!!!

I was probably at that meeting. Me and a mate used to spend our two week factory holiday travelling around the tracks sleeping in the car, and taking in all the Diamonds away meetings during that time. Remember getting there in the afternoon at Somerton and parked alongside Pete Kelly, who was on his own and sleeping. It would have had to be about July time as that was the factory holiday period. Would that have been the first League meeting or the friendly.

Ok tsunami, wot a memory- I reckon you saw the League Meeting which the Diamonds won 34-44. I missed that, I was at a girlfriends house-she lived near Somerton Park but I have forgotten her name-obviously I had my priorities wrong(not the first time)- I recall we were in her folks front room and I could hear the sound of the bikes-I can remember thinking WTF am I doing here-I could be watching the speedway!! A question-were you at the Poole WC British Semi Final in 1965. Reason I ask-me and my mate hitch hiked there and met at Poole RailwayStation some Newcastle fans who were travelling all over-if it woz you I owe you a beer(or was it the other way around??)-there were 3 of you and you were going back by train- me and my mate Ian Terrar had no dough and decided to try and sleep at the station waiting room-we got turfed out and spent the night in an empty house-never again, now I won't stay in a place where you can't get a martini served!! Great days...

• Like 1

Kipping on railway stations and mail trains was a regular occurance for me after meetings, in my misspent youth!