British Speedway Forum

Interesting last paragraph about Workington from the newspaper article. Not seen that mentioned before.

SGP Premiership 2017 teams: Belle Vue, Coventry, King's Lynn, Leicester, Poole, Rye House, Somerset, Swindon, Wolverhampton. Workington are expected to take their place in the Premiership, but this is subject to confirmation.

Interesting last paragraph about Workington from the newspaper article. Not seen that mentioned before.

SGP Premiership 2017 teams: Belle Vue, Coventry, King's Lynn, Leicester, Poole, Rye House, Somerset, Swindon, Wolverhampton. Workington are expected to take their place in the Premiership, but this is subject to confirmation.

And our place was confirmed last Friday.

And our place was confirmed last Friday.

In the championship though! Looks like the article made a typo.

The key point I read was - "and the rest of the stadium car park will be tarmacked."!!

Mind you this almost suggests that another part of it has already been done!!

Or was that the track?

The key point I read was - "and the rest of the stadium car park will be tarmacked."!!

Mind you this almost suggests that another part of it has already been done!!

Or was that the track?

Could be they've tarmacked the old dog track for easier access. It was certainly in the plans

Things seem to be sounding positive for the future but I do hope the majority of meetings are held at the weekend. If they want to keep crowd numbers up the promotion need to remember many people work during the week and lots of us that support Rye Rockets don't live locally and having to travel there when our journeys possibly include using the M25, M11, M1 etc during weekday rush hour wont be as easy as at the weekend. Also as our next nearest teams are Kings Lynn and Leicester they really need some away fans support not only for the gate money but for the atmosphere which adds to a good meeting.

Edited by hammer1969
  • Like 1

Workington are in the top tier? Cool beans if so.

Things seem to be sounding positive for the future but I do hope the majority of meetings are held at the weekend. If they want to keep crowd numbers up the promotion need to remember many people work during the week and lots of us that support Rye Rockets don't live locally and having to travel there when our journeys possibly include using the M25, M11, M1 etc during weekday rush hour wont be as easy as at the weekend. Also as our next nearest teams are Kings Lynn and Leicester they really need some away fans support not only for the gate money but for the atmosphere which adds to a good meeting.

Actually, King's Lynn and Coventry are the nearest, 88 miles but not that much further on than Peterbrough, 66 and Ipswich 77. Overall, away support might be better as most of the clubs in the Premiership are closer than in the old PL. For example, Somerset were third in distance previously but, in the new league, only Wolverhampton and Belle Vue are further away.

Not confirmed and probably a journo typo.

Not confirmed and probably a journo typo.

The BSPA incorrectly tweeted and released the news that Workington could be in the "Premiership" they clearly meant the Championship.

Edited by SCB

The BSPA incorrectly tweeted and released the news that Workington could be in the "Premiership" they clearly meant the Championship.

So even they are getting confused with these new league names, no doubt we will get used to it.

I realise Kings Lynn and Coventry are the nearest to Rye House but from where I live in London if I now want to go to an away meeting to get to Leicester it will take me approx. 2 hours as its 108 miles and Coventry is just over the 2 hours being 121 miles, Ipswich used to take me just over an hour. Hopefully I will be able to get to a couple of away meetings though, but at the moment I am just hoping most of the Rye House meetings will be at the weekend so that I wont have to negotiate the M25 during the weekday rush hour, mind you when is there not any problems or roadworks on the M25 lately. Hopefully as you say we may get more supporters from away teams visiting Rye as some of the teams in the new league are nearer to Rye than a lot of those in the old league, just just hope the ticket prices dont rise too much - fingers crossed.