British Speedway Forum

RYE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE

::::::::::::

ROCKETS GEAR UP FOR NEW ADVENTURE!

The dust may still be settling on last week’s BSPA AGM, but the BMR Rockets are already putting their plans very much into place for what promises to be an exciting new era in the sport’s top flight.

The Hertfordshire side has taken the step up into the Elite League, which has itself been re-christened as the Premiership. It is a decision which will bring Rye head to head with such luminaries as defending champions Wolverhampton, beaten Play-Off Finalists Belle Vue, recognised powerhouses Poole – and of course former arch-rivals King’s Lynn.

It’s also a move that has been on the cards since Warren Scott’s BMR Racing purchased the club and stadium ahead of the 2015 season. Says the Buntingford-based owner, “It was always the aim go to the Elite League [Premiership] and make use of Sky TV to try and find sponsorship to help the riders and also work at the stadium.

“Speedway has been struggling to get enough money to survive, and from my point of view I always felt this was the best way to help secure the future of Rye House speedway.

“We are extremely keen to be competitive, and we want to be in the top half of the league.”

Rye House Co-Promoter Steve Jenson shares his colleague’s excitement. “We’ve been after this the whole while – we actually applied last winter – and it is the reason we got involved in the first place. It’s competition at the end of the day, and we are competitive people so in any competition we want to be at the top. I’m really excited and looking forward to it.”

Team BMR are also keen to address some of the immediate questions flagged by supporters following the Rockets’ announced elevation.

The first is the planned race night for home meetings. Steve can report that “We are aiming to maintain Saturday nights as much as we can. We recognise that it is our supporters’ traditional race night, and also the most convenient one for many of them to attend on.

“The Grand Prix calendar means that there will be times when that just won’t be possible – we won’t run when there is a clash – but out of eighteen planned dates (League, Cup and Premiership Pairs) we are planning to run between eight and ten meetings on Saturdays and two on Bank Holiday Monday afternoons, with allowance for a couple of Monday evenings for Sky Sports’ live coverage and four-to-six on Wednesdays.”

While it is still too early to name a date for the Rockets’ home opener, Steve can say that “We are looking at a slot of early April for the Premiership Pairs Championship, and we would like at least one home match prior to that event.”

The Rockets’ promotion to the top flight, and the on-costs associated with that ascendance, will necessitate an admission increase, with pricing for being set at: Adults £18.00, Seniors (over 60s) £16.00 and Children (12-16) £6.00, with Full-Time Students (17-22) remaining at £10.00 and Children under 12 continuing to be admitted free.

When they do arrive, supporters will be able to take in completion of the extensive stadium improvement projects which are already underway. In addition to work on both bends, there will now be a new start-line stand and referee’s box, while the roof is currently being erected on the KTM dealership that will occupy the former Long Bar footprint. The riders’ pits will also be enhanced, with new dressing rooms in place.

Says Warren, “We’ll finish all the renovations at the stadium – the KTM dealership and Honda dealership will be up and running by the end of February.

“It will be a completely new look stadium. Hopefully the loyal fans that we have got already will enjoy the stadium more, and hopefully it will attract more fans - and keep more fans - with what we can give them.”

One downside of the Rockets’ move is that the BMR Raiders have been put on ice, although Warren is determined to focus on other ways of supporting the next generation of Young Lions in the sport. “We won’t have the National League any more, we won’t be running the Raiders – we’re going to focus racing on the Premiership racing because that is a very big challenge for us and we don’t want to dilute that effort.

“But it is still of the utmost importance to develop those youngsters and get them through, and we will be putting races on for novices.

“We need to bring the youngsters through as positively as we can.

“We’ll hopefully be giving youngsters as much track time as we can [at Rye House] using our star riders as role models, helping them through to show them what it takes to become a top flight rider – it’s not a simple thing.

“We will be open a lot for training schools and practicing, and encouraging as many people to come as possible.”

Which leaves one remaining question, but perhaps also the biggest: what is the planned make-up of the BMR Rockets team for 2017?

Steve is delighted to say that “Everything is quickly falling into place, and the riders we have signed should work together really well as a Team, which as you know is what the ethos is here at the club, but also have some quiet competition for the No.1 spot.

“Without saying any more, I really think that the supporters will be pleased with the squad we are putting together.

“We already have the top five in place, and we plan to unveil the first name at 9.30 on Monday morning.”

Watch this space.

They're not mucking about 😀

If they won't have Saturday meetings when there will be a clash with Grand Prix meetings does that mean one of the team will be a current GP rider?

Also as a couple of meetings will be Monday nights has the deal already been done for Sky to screen them? As there is "quiet competition" for the number 1 spot will Eddie still be riding for us? Roll on Monday!

And team BMR as you seem to be reading this forum please can we have somewhere at ground level where we can buy pens, boards, badges etc. we can't all manage those stairs up to the bar where they have been recently!

Really positive news coming from BMR, they've been doing a great job since the takeover! Such a rarity to have good news in British speedway. Having such good rail links to central London I hope that can tap into that a bit

• Like 1

And team BMR as you seem to be reading this forum please can we have somewhere at ground level where we can buy pens, boards, badges etc. we can't all manage those stairs up to the bar where they have been recently!

Pretty sure they'll relocate once the rebuild is complete. Big mistake booting out the old souvenir people in the first place. I refuse to buy anything from that woman

• Like 2

£18 admission?! RIP British Speedway. With the league getting about 25% weaker I was expecting to pay less not more! If EL club think they can weaken the product by ~25% but charge more than £15 I think they're in for a shock!

The premiership is a glorified Premier League now.

£18 admission?! RIP British Speedway. With the league getting about 25% weaker I was expecting to pay less not more! If EL club think they can weaken the product by ~25% but charge more than £15 I think they're in for a shock!

Rye House have been £16 for 3 or 4 years. They'd have probably put up the admission even if they'd stayed in the second tier.

I really don't understand the problem of paying £18 plus programme to watch 2hrs of entertainment.

These boys risk their lives to ride for a club, compared to panzy footballers who get paid a fortune and the spectators ripped off to the tune of an average £60-£70 per game.

• Like 1

I really don't understand the problem of paying £18 plus programme to watch 2hrs of entertainment.

These boys risk their lives to ride for a club, compared to panzy footballers who get paid a fortune and the spectators ripped off to the tune of an average £60-£70 per game.

But it's not two hours is it, more like 15 minutes

• Like 1

I thought the admission between EL and PL were similar anyway? I know it was cheaper for me and my daughter to attend Brandon than most PL clubs last season.

I think its not badly priced, costs go up each year for any business, take your two kids too a zoo, costs £ 75 for two kids and two adults

Some people

Will never be happy stay at home, you wont be missed

• Like 1

I think its not badly priced, costs go up each year for any business, take your two kids too a zoo, costs £ 75 for two kids and two adults

Some people

Will never be happy stay at home, you wont be missed

They wanted almost £17 to walk around Edinburgh Castle the other day. A family of 4 admission to Paradise Wildlife Park is £56. Almost £60 to see a load of sad looking dopey animals. If I wanted to do that I'd just go up to the Midlands to Cradley.

• Like 3

They wanted almost £17 to walk around Edinburgh Castle the other day. A family of 4 admission to Paradise Wildlife Park is £56. Almost £60 to see a load of sad looking dopey animals. If I wanted to do that I'd just go up to the Midlands to Cradley.

Glaring difference of course is that these will be 'one offs'..

Speedway needs a family of two adults and two 12+ year old kids to pay £48 at least 19 times a year....

Simply doesnt happen in anywhere like the quantity needed sadly....

• Like 1