British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

Does anyone else recall the days where two teams would have a rider missing and rather than use guests or R/R they agreed to both promote a number 8 and give another youngster a chance?

We don't even see number 8's now when teams use R/R yet alone them getting promoted.

Yes, for a short time it was the rule.

Richard Weston talks a lot of sense. Any promoter running a business in the National League...as opposed to any that are in it for glory...has had his

business devalued by the totally selfish ruling by the senior clubs regarding ownership and sale of riders' contracts. The Premiership and Championship

promoters should drop their heads in shame at this abuse of their power. I've been a fan for many years and have never heard of such damage being

inflicted on one set of promoters to another. It's amazing that the Control Board have let them get away with it.

As to the damage being caused to our league ( or any league for that matter) by riders being absent due to riding for a more senior team, I don't know

what happened, or when, but it was not that long ago when a doubling up rider was prioritised to the lower team in a clash of fixtures. That rule goes back

to the very start of doubling up, God knows how long ago...Who changed it ?

Does anyone else recall the days where two teams would have a rider missing and rather than use guests or R/R they agreed to both promote a number 8 and give another youngster a chance?

We don't even see number 8's now when teams use R/R yet alone them getting promoted.

Bo jangles i have been harping on about this for years. I hate RR as it really drags meetings out. Personally i would like to see it limited to twice a season per side max (to allow for breakdowns traffic etc) then the rest of the meetings use a number 8. Perhaps adjust the riding order if necessary i.e stick one reserve in the main body and use the number 8 at reserve?

Keep guests for doubling up riders (and somebody please sort a sensible fixture list out!) but enforce number 8's the rest of the time. It will not only provide valuable track time to graduating riders but also help with the flow of meetings not to mention the exploitation of RR that some teams choose to utilise.

• Like 1

Well, Sings4Speedway, while your idea sounds credible, it would result in teams with a rider missing being dramatically reduced in scoring

power though no fault of their own. It would transform a good team into a mediocre one while mediocre teams would be massacred. That

would not please the followers of that club. With all its faults, the r/r rule at least allows teams to maintain their scoring power at something

like their normal rate which must be a good idea.

Well, Sings4Speedway, while your idea sounds credible, it would result in teams with a rider missing being dramatically reduced in scoring

power though no fault of their own. It would transform a good team into a mediocre one while mediocre teams would be massacred. That

would not please the followers of that club. With all its faults, the r/r rule at least allows teams to maintain their scoring power at something

like their normal rate which must be a good idea.

Personally i dont think it would have that much of an impact and would most likely balance itself out over the course of a season.

Im not sayings its perfect, far from it and definitely respect your point of view East End. I don't feel good teams are one rider away from being mediocre as is often proved when one rider has a shocker but the best team still wins.

Im just pitching ideas to move things forward and prevent sides abusing RR (when they have powerful reserves/riders on false averages) and giving extra track time to emerging riders.

I would doubt that as Eastbourne have worked around this perfectly every season by having riders who arnt doubling up for certain reasons, if thats because they wanted to just commit to the club or are doing grasstrack aswell which gets the extra money in.

I would doubt that as Eastbourne have worked around this perfectly every season by having riders who arnt doubling up for certain reasons, if thats because they wanted to just commit to the club or are doing grasstrack aswell which gets the extra money in.

It certainly shows Eastbourne are smart enough to look for riders who are going to predominantly ride NL. Some promoters seem surprised when they sign a doubling up rider and then end up with them unavailable for lots of the season.

All Eastbourne need to do is track down the rider declared in the 1-7 who never rides. #Where'sSauly?

It certainly shows Eastbourne are smart enough to look for riders who are going to predominantly ride NL. Some promoters seem surprised when they sign a doubling up rider and then end up with them unavailable for lots of the season.

All Eastbourne need to do is track down the rider declared in the 1-7 who never rides. #Where'sSauly?

Equally they planned their fixtures to avoid clashes. I doubt the lack of Sunday home meetings and Coles being a Newcastle rider were coincidental at the start of the season. Of their 3 away Sunday meetings, at least 1 coincided with a Newcastle blank home date.

• Like 1

Well , as of the time of this post, 3days before the meeting, there is nothing on the website. Teams have to be submitted by now so they must know what the line ups are. We were told that Nigel Pearsons company had taken over resposibilty for the website so things would be more professionally done, but like a lot of other things it hasn't happened.

I think he was helping out on the starting gate for the Birmingham vs Cradley match last Wednesday. Rumour has it that if Porky can't make it tomorrow, he could well be presenting for Cradley vs Plymouth.

I guess he more likely to do either of those jobs, than ride for Eastbourne.

Well , as of the time of this post, 3days before the meeting, there is nothing on the website. Teams have to be submitted by now so they must know what the line ups are. We were told that Nigel Pearsons company had taken over resposibilty for the website so things would be more professionally done, but like a lot of other things it hasn't happened.

You didn't have much longer to wait. R/R for Alfie and Roynon as guest for Zach.

I not overly impressed with going R/R for Alfie!

You didn't have much longer to wait. R/R for Alfie and Roynon as guest for Zach.

It seems a risky choice by Lakeside, considering you could've had Priest, Wallinger, Cupitt or Lawlor.

But I assume they're thinking 'it's only Buxton' and the Hammers bottom 3 can beat the Hitmen's reserves and take some points off the second strings. That remains to be seen though, especially as the Hammers' 3 heat leader's will actually have a contest for once in the shape of Clegg & Williamson.

It seems a risky choice by Lakeside, considering you could've had Priest, Wallinger, Cupitt or Lawlor.

But I assume they're thinking 'it's only Buxton' and the Hammers bottom 3 can beat the Hitmen's reserves and take some points off the second strings. That remains to be seen though, especially as the Hammers' 3 heat leader's will actually have a contest for once in the shape of Clegg & Williamson.

I think that Jake Knight is guesting for Max Clegg as Clegg is riding for Edinburgh. Edited by eaglesno1