British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

Well after my holiday and missing the double header and the away match at Belle Vue its time to step up another gear.

Lets start with the KO Cup semi final. Thats going to be a little bit harder then it was at the start of the year but with Roynan not being at Eastbourne for a few years will give us the edge, Boxhall is always good at Arlington but i think he is no match for our top riders.

Easy win overall by 15 points to the Eagles.

Kent is the match we are looking forward too, We knocked them out the KO Cup at the start of the year so we need to do something again, Sid also thinks we are going to win at Kent as he pointed out that we won at at night meeting but all the other time was have been there have been bank holiday and lost.

Roll on the play offs.

Eastbourne to beat Kent and go to meet Lakeside in the final. :) all local to us.

Must admit I am feeling all a bit dejected at the moment.

I use to be accused of being Mr Positive on this and other forums but well, I am down!

First, I feel our form is a bit down at the moment. We don't look unbeatable over two legs anymore and some of the riders are a bit hit and miss.

The reserve pairing could be great, depending on what Mattie does and what rider/guest we have (do we even have an 'official' number 6?) or they could score next to nothing!

Will we even go to the playoff meetings with out top three, or will other teams get the first call on them in clashes (that really winds me up!)

Then the beating by Kent at home was a real blow for me. Being beaten at home by the team we are likely to meet in the semis (now confirmed) so close to the play offs was a real kick.in the teeth.

Then there is the crazy situation of the cut off date and us having one natch remaining, that we could win...and put us top. I totally get being penalised if you fail to run all your home matches but not the away ones! Even worse, we could win the match before the play offs, be top of the league but not get the choice of semi final team. Madness.

So, personally, I think we are going to be beaten in the semis by Kent and thats the end of the season, so near but so far for the third year running.

Sorry for the negativity but at least feeling like this, it can only get better than I think.

I'm getting to the point where I don't really care now . What should have been the best season for the Nl, not just Eastbourne has been ruined by doubling up and the bspa.

• Like 1

I'm getting to the point where I don't really care now . What should have been the best season for the Nl, not just Eastbourne has been ruined by doubling up and the bspa.

Know how you feel.

BSPA long ago lost touch with the fan base and every decision they makes just alienates the few who are left even more.

2 home meetings is a strange ban. If you're banning him, why is he allowed to do away meetings?

Its a very odd ban. I guess its so that both the KO cup & play offs are equally affected?

I can't quite decide how i feel about it because on one hand im certain Jake could have borrowed an engine considering the resources available at Eastbourne which makes me think he withdrew because he didn't fancy his chances on an unflavoured engine.

On the flip side he could have turned up with any old motor completed one ride then pulled out & prevented a ban so im not sure how its a deterrent to others?

Perhaps the qualifying format needs looking at? All clubs to nominate a rider (rather than the number 1 at X date) plus wild cards or just the top 16 in the averages at a certain point with the next down the list etc if riders cannot attend due to a certified reason

• Like 1

Its a very odd ban. I guess its so that both the KO cup & play offs are equally affected?

I can't quite decide how i feel about it because on one hand im certain Jake could have borrowed an engine considering the resources available at Eastbourne which makes me think he withdrew because he didn't fancy his chances on an unflavoured engine.

On the flip side he could have turned up with any old motor completed one ride then pulled out & prevented a ban so im not sure how its a deterrent to others?

Perhaps the qualifying format needs looking at? All clubs to nominate a rider (rather than the number 1 at X date) plus wild cards or just the top 16 in the averages at a certain point with the next down the list etc if riders cannot attend due to a certified reason

I don't suppose he'd thought he'd get a ban by not riding, but what I really want to know is what flavour his engine normally is! Edited by gazzac

I don't suppose he'd thought he'd get a ban by not riding, but what I really want to know is what flavour his engine normally is!

LOL stupid auto spell. By the success Jake has had this season id imagine his engine us usually pretty sweet.

As for the ban i suspect you are right and he didn't think he would receive one and it does seem a bit petty given that other riders have gotten away with similar/worse offences this year.

I feel it would have made more sense to issue a statement at the start of next season saying any rider who withdraws from the NLRC must have a certified reason.

• Like 1

2 home meetings is a strange ban. If you're banning him, why is he allowed to do away meetings?

Many at Eastbourne have suspected over a very, very long period that those in authority don't like the club. This decision seems to give weight to that argument.

Maybe that has something to do with

Calling meetings off for dubious reasons. I'm an Arlington regular, and always felt the club was walking a tightrope as far as the authorities were concerned. When the recent home match with lakeside was run on a saturated track, it does seem to be a horses for courses attitude.

Edited by cityrebel

Knight's rightly banned but it being just for home meetings is a strange one. Not turning up for a meeting is basically withholding his services so it should be a 28 day ban.

It's been done in what seems the usual bspa way, wet finger hold it up in air see which way the winds blowing and make a decision that has no bearing on any rules or previous decisions made.

Totally lost faith with the speedway authorities this year. They have always appeared to make it up as they go along but in 2017 they have taken the biscuit.

Doubling up has been a total joke.

Clubs have pulled out of competitions with no sanction but then Knight gets banned because he pulls out of a competition few, if any, care about.

You will all have your own examples from this year of what can only be termed mismanagement.

The current lot have had their last sup in the last chance saloon.

Surely, there must be huge changes coming from the conference. On another thread, Philip Rising said he was taken to task for pointing out the problems in the Speedway Star. I thought it was a well-pitched article, short of hyperbole and strong on the facts/issues.

Of course, ostriches still have heads well and truly buried in the sand and continue to fiddle while Rome burns. Sorry to mix the metaphors, but the conflagration running through British speedway makes the Great Fire of London look like an overcooked sausage on a barbecue.

The NL needs to get away from the dead hand that runs UK speedway. Independence now!

• Like 4

what has happened to matt bates ?

Solid scores at no 4, dropped to reserve as others like powell improved with easier rides.

Completely fallen to bits over the last month against people he should wipe the floor with.