British Speedway Forum
Speedway28

Mildenhall 2017

I know I've already said it, but that is one very top heavy side and they are banking on Jenkins being a wonder kid

There are currently 61 riders who have been named and just 7 have 5 or 6 point averages. It means that most teams are composed of 7, 8 or 9 point heat leaders backed up by 3 or 4 points seconds and reserves. Mildenhall might be a bit more than most but they're not that different.

I think they are relying on Jenkins to bang some high scores in (and I have little doubt he will) but to suggest that all they have is him and their top 3 would be very wrong. Woods, Verge and Ruddick will all do their bit even when Jenkins moves up.

What Mildenhall have done is very shrewdly fit the remainder of their side around their top 3 and young Jordan. I can't see how they might have made a better job of it.

Gotta agree, Jenkins will only be at reserve for a month. Then it will most likely be number 1 or 5.

Adzmft often live broadcast Jenkins pre meeting spins as a 14 yr old, and he often clocked times similar to heat 1 of the meeting.

Only saw him once last season - at King's Lynn for the Ben Fund meeting - and I was standing with his then Tiger Cubs team manager, Phil Kirk. Having watch him go from third to first (or last to second, I am not sure which) I commented that that was highly unusual at that stage of his career and that I was very impressed indeed.

Jenkins will average 8 around Mildenhall next year without a doubt. Might not be as great away but he'll certainly do well. Like the signing of Woods, he looked like a trier when he made a guest appearance last year. Hopefully some good guidance from Jolly and co will get him, Verge and Ruddick improving. Play offs beckon if they can keep that side fit for the season.

Woods is a solid signing for Mildenhall. He may never make it to the top of the sport but he'll get stuck in and can average around 4 if he eradicates the silly falls from his game.

Like the look of this side.

Jenkins will average 8 around Mildenhall next year without a doubt. Might not be as great away but he'll certainly do well. Like the signing of Woods, he looked like a trier when he made a guest appearance last year. Hopefully some good guidance from Jolly and co will get him, Verge and Ruddick improving. Play offs beckon if they can keep that side fit for the season.

i think 8 is a lot to expect especially if he moves up almost imediately , however there must be a lot of people agree with you as jordan was wanted by every team in the league as far as i can see. looking forward to watching his battles with bickley & brennan in particular.

i think 8 is a lot to expect especially if he moves up almost imediately , however there must be a lot of people agree with you as jordan was wanted by every team in the league as far as i can see. looking forward to watching his battles with bickley & brennan in particular.

Bewley & Ellis both managed 8 in their first full seasons. I think Jenkins has the potential to as well.

Bewley & Ellis both managed 8 in their first full seasons. I think Jenkins has the potential to as well.

as i replied to m1965 i certainly wouldn't say he won't but i would have been pleased if he finished somewhere around 6 so if he can average 8 it's going to be a good year for fans and a brilliant year for the lad himself.

I have no doubt he has the talent, but it's a lot to ask of him as long as his feet stay on the ground I'm sure he'll have a good career

Busy start as Fen Tigers announce opening fixtures for the 2017 season

The ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers will kick off their new season on Sunday 9th April with the second running of the ‘Fen Fours’ (3pm), won last season by the ‘Mighty Manchetts’ led by Jon Armstrong and Josh Bates.

Last season’s event was a highly enjoyable and successful afternoon with some fine racing in front of a big crowd. Kevin Jolly is looking for a similar affair this time and is already working on compiling a field that will include the current Fen Tigers along with riders who have represented the club in the past and plenty of local interest.

The following weekend see’s a busy Easter schedule as the Fen Tigers compete in the ‘Easter Chase’ in what is sure to be a challenging two legged confrontation with the Kent ‘SLYDE’ Kings. The first leg will be on Good Friday 14th April at Central Park Sittingbourne (6.30pm start) with the second leg taking place at West Row on Easter Sunday 16th April (3pm start).

New signings Sam Woods and Danno Verge are both ex-Kings and will be looking to impress whilst Kent include ex-Fen Tiger Nathan Stoneman in their septet.

Club promoter Kevin Jolly was pleased with these opening fixtures ahead of the start of the league season proper - he said –

“ I am very happy with our start to the season, it gives our riders three meetings to get tuned into the season before the serious business starts. That said we will be all out to win the Easter Chase and get one over our rivals from Kent, I am not considering the possibility of a home defeat this season and want us to get off to the best possible start.

The Fen Fours was a wonderful way to start last season and I am sure it will be again this time. We will try for the best field possible and I have plenty of names already noted down and over the coming weeks we will start to announce some of the riders once confirmed”.

In other news the ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers will be holding the annual ‘Meet the Riders’ evening at the stadium on Saturday 18th February at 7pm.

Opening Fixtures

Sunday 9th April at 3pm – The Fen Fours
Friday 14th April at 6.30pm – Kent ‘SLYDE’ Kings v Mildenhall ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers – Easter Chase 1st leg
Sunday 16th April at 3pm – Mildenhall ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers v Kent ‘SLYDE’ Kings – Easter Chase 2nd leg

Shame that Mildenhall have opted not to field an MDL side this season and focus on home rider development? 2nd half track time is very important to riders of all ages so whilst its a benefit that they club will still supply it i can't help thinking they are being very short sighted by not including a Jnr squad and giving them experience of racing on other tracks, as part of a team and the travelling required etc. The cynic in me thinks that they are upset about losing Taylor Hampshire as the MDL offered him exposure to other clubs but their actions are going to create riders who can only ride the west row circuit?

Must be reasons behind it, but I thought their mdl side and potential progression into the NL team was a massive plus for the club in attracting and developing young talent.

• Like 2

Shame that Mildenhall have opted not to field an MDL side this season and focus on home rider development? 2nd half track time is very important to riders of all ages so whilst its a benefit that they club will still supply it i can't help thinking they are being very short sighted by not including a Jnr squad and giving them experience of racing on other tracks, as part of a team and the travelling required etc. The cynic in me thinks that they are upset about losing Taylor Hampshire as the MDL offered him exposure to other clubs but their actions are going to create riders who can only ride the west row circuit?

I don't think losing Taylor has anything to do with it if I'm honest.

Looking at the MDL table from last year.Our group in particular.Other than King's Lynn where's the next closest to us?

Coventry won't be in it.MK might be at Peterborough again,but as we run on the same day it's a bit tough to be in 2 places at once.Then the rest are way up North.Can't see how it would work say getting 4 kids up to Belle Vue mid week for example with school the following day etc for a couple of heats afterwards.Not really that feasible if I'm being honest.

The club is doing the thing they think will bring on the talent we have in the area best.If that means just having a junior 2nd half meeting,that suits me fine.

Singsforkings - as usual you are totally wide of the mark with your assumptions, conspiracy theories relating to Mildenhall Speedway.

As the league is not announced until after the meeting on the 28th it would be wrong to go into any detail about our reasoning out of respect to those that spend a great deal of time organising and managing the league.

I can confirm though it has absolutely nothing to do with Taylor Hampshire riding for Kings Lynn this season, you are totally wide of the mark there!.

If you stop to think about what you post before posting surely you would realise any youngsters we as a club work with are free to ride MDL, SDL or NJL if they wish for whoever they wish as well as The Youth Championship so the issue of not getting to other tracks is incorrect as well.

Edited by PhilK
  • Like 1

I know initially it looks like the SJL is going to be a south west thing, but would a south east version of this work?

Potential to get Lynn, Mildenhall, Ipswich, Lakeside, Rye House, Eastbourne in 1 league and as far as I know each of those sides have no restrictions to prevent this. Maybe something for smarter people then I to sort out for 2018/19.

• Like 2

I don't think losing Taylor has anything to do with it if I'm honest.

Looking at the MDL table from last year.Our group in particular.Other than King's Lynn where's the next closest to us?

Coventry won't be in it.MK might be at Peterborough again,but as we run on the same day it's a bit tough to be in 2 places at once.Then the rest are way up North.Can't see how it would work say getting 4 kids up to Belle Vue mid week for example with school the following day etc for a couple of heats afterwards.Not really that feasible if I'm being honest.

The club is doing the thing they think will bring on the talent we have in the area best.If that means just having a junior 2nd half meeting,that suits me fine.

Whilst i agree that it appears the MDL is going to be very spread and potentially northern biased this season i personally feel that it is good experience & exposure for riders to have to travel up to Belle Vue midweek with school the following day (using the example you offer) as these are scenarios that they will face when competing in the NL. If riders can sustain themselves riding in the MDL/NJL for free then once they enter league racing and receive some compensation for their efforts it will ease the burden.

However as its your opinion on a public discussion forum, posted in a coherent considered manner i fully respect it & hope that both the independent Mildenhall approach & the MDL prosper & develop new riders for years to come.

• Like 1

Of the completed teams i think Mildenhall are the strongest! Obviously Jenkins won't stay at reserve - but so what, they may end up with 4 strong heat leaders in a weaker league than last year!