British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pont

Gorzow 2017 ....

I'd strongly say you are way, way out of touch if you think 90% have no interest.Quite what 'baby offset' has to do with fans being interested in the engine TYPE being used and who the tuner is I don't know, you're talking about something entirely different there.

You have zero evidence to back up your claims, whereas this forum provides ample evidence of engines and tuners being discussed.

the forum is 1% of general fans at any given time and is no indication of any subject and a baby offset has everything to do with current engines as they are the current engines used by riders although not all , the evidence is there if you ask fans, nobody cares or even knows and my earlier question remains , get fans to name previous GM engines and the 2 top tuners in the world today , nobody knows and nobody cares ,half the fans wouldn't know the difference between long or short stroke and if I'm honest half couldn't tell a jawa from a GTR or a GM if they were put in front of them , speedway is about the rider not the machine, I'm coming from the very background that I'm arguing against and know all about speedway engines (Ive used bloomfeldt bullet , Evitts and others and I used to do my own ) and even I don't care Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Laydowns in the 1920's?

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/archives/speedwaybikes/mckevoy.htm

Don't tell me riders haven't been chasing that technological genie since we took road bikes and went racing.

Even the discussion isn't new!!!

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=46346&page=1

Laydowns in the 1920's?

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/archives/speedwaybikes/mckevoy.htm

Don't tell me riders haven't been chasing that technological genie since we took road bikes and went racing.

Even the discussion isn't new!!!

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=46346&page=1

riders are interested but fans are not

I remember the year when the modern laydowns were banned by the British leagues on cost grounds. I went to Hull with a lot other fans to see Sam and Simon W riding theirs in an invitation event. People were fascinated by the technology.

I guess it depends on the fans!

Edited by False dawn

I remember the year when the modern laydowns were banned by the British leagues on cost grounds. I went to Hull with a lot other fans to see Sam and Simon W riding theirs in an invitation event. People were fascinated by the technology.

when we turned up with the German dogbone engines this year some people had questions but most had heard about GTRs and thought it was a GTR but the majority didn't even notice or care , what they did notice was Adam wasn't scoring enough points on it , even Adam wasn't using them to push technology , he was using them as part of a good business plan , unfortunately the engines were unreliable so the plan fell through

I guess it depends on the fans!

yes some are but the majority especially the female fans couldn't care less Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

the female fans couldn't care less

They did when Egon turned up on a GM and won the World Champs

the forum is 1% of general fans at any given time and is no indication of any subject and a baby offset has everything to do with current engines as they are the current engines used by riders although not all , the evidence is there if you ask fans, nobody cares or even knows and my earlier question remains , get fans to name previous GM engines and the 2 top tuners in the world today , nobody knows and nobody cares ,half the fans wouldn't know the difference between long or short stroke and if I'm honest half couldn't tell a jawa from a GTR or a GM if they were put in front of them , speedway is about the rider not the machine, I'm coming from the very background that I'm arguing against and know all about speedway engines (Ive used bloomfeldt bullet , Evitts and others and I used to do my own ) and even I don't care

You seem to be talking about something very different.

You are right, very few (although some are) interested in the nuances of the engines or indeed how they work, however they ARE interested in whether a rider is on a GM, Jawa or GTR. Naming 'previous' GM engines is something totally different, simply the make of engine is where the interest lies.

I've done as you suggested anyway, I've asked 19 people so far who are speedway fans, every single one of them could name several tuners and the riders that use them. Every single one of them is interested.

Edited by BWitcher

I couldn't give a tinkers cuss which tuner did which engine. I cannot SEE that, it doesn't entertain me. All it does IMHO is add to the cost. but then I'm simply a fan of 50+ years who remembers JAP vs JAWA, the coming of the Street variations, the invasion of the 4 valve and the demise of the 2 valve. I would add that the QUALITY of the racing has not improved so to my female logical brain what's the point :P

I probably could name a couple of tuners because commentators repeat them ad nauseum, but haven't a clue which rider uses which.

If discussions about tuners are necessary to keep fans entertained the product itself is not good enough :wink:

• Like 1

THAT'S true and why Speedway Star has never indulged in technical issues about bikes, engines, etc. There is no appetite for it amongst our readers although knowing which tuner is used by which rider is a snippet worth having.

I couldn't give a tinkers cuss which tuner did which engine. I cannot SEE that, it doesn't entertain me. All it does IMHO is add to the cost. but then I'm simply a fan of 50+ years who remembers JAP vs JAWA, the coming of the Street variations, the invasion of the 4 valve and the demise of the 2 valve. I would add that the QUALITY of the racing has not improved so to my female logical brain what's the point :P

I probably could name a couple of tuners because commentators repeat them ad nauseum, but haven't a clue which rider uses which.

If discussions about tuners are necessary to keep fans entertained the product itself is not good enough :wink:

That's where we are now, looking for a more viable, cost effective way to produce as good or better racing - NOT at the very top level of the GP because their motivation is quite different. We must have more entertaining, better quality, close racing in the bread and butter league racing in the UK. Without that the interest of those prepared to pay out for admission to matches will decline further.

Completely agree!!!!!

You seem to be talking about something very different.

You are right, very few (although some are) interested in the nuances of the engines or indeed how they work, however they ARE interested in whether a rider is on a GM, Jawa or GTR. Naming 'previous' GM engines is something totally different, simply the make of engine is where the interest lies.

I've done as you suggested anyway, I've asked 19 people so far who are speedway fans, every single one of them could name several tuners and the riders that use them. Every single one of them is interested.

I said name the top 2 tuners not some tuners as surely if fans were interested they would know that pjr has been knocked of his top spot and has been replaced by 2 others Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

the forum is 1% of general fans at any given time and is no indication of any subject and a baby offset has everything to do with current engines as they are the current engines used by riders although not all , the evidence is there if you ask fans, nobody cares or even knows and my earlier question remains , get fans to name previous GM engines and the 2 top tuners in the world today , nobody knows and nobody cares ,half the fans wouldn't know the difference between long or short stroke and if I'm honest half couldn't tell a jawa from a GTR or a GM if they were put in front of them , speedway is about the rider not the machine, I'm coming from the very background that I'm arguing against and know all about speedway engines (Ive used bloomfeldt bullet , Evitts and others and I used to do my own ) and even I don't care

Well I for one is interested,there isn't too much information available to fans as to which engine tuner is is being used.I was hoping formula two speedway would connect with the motorcycle crowd but at the recent event at Belle Vue there was no information about which bike had which manufacturers engine installed.Not that it mattered much as they didn't seem reliable.

THAT'S true and why Speedway Star has never indulged in technical issues about bikes, engines, etc. There is no appetite for it amongst our readers although knowing which tuner is used by which rider is a snippet worth having.

I have that appetite in general ,I can service speedway engines and can spot any change on a bike even on tv , I have read books like "tuning for speed" and I am what you would call a geek when it comes to transit Diesel engines but when it comes to speedway it just doesn't matter ,it's all about the riders ,I dream of a sport with equal engines where tuners don't matter and it's all about the riders but sadly we are getting further and further away from that and all it's doing is pushing up costs , it's completely different to Moto GP where the bike is king , Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1