British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle Of Wight 2017

I am a huge fan of what the Isle of Wight have achieved. However, I just do not understand the signing of Mullins. Little talent and must be the most unreliable rider ever. Inevitably he will let the Warriors down so they must already have an alternative plan.

• Like 2

True but I'd rather a 3.00 novice than someone who has let the club down time and time again and not even improved! A kid who scores 1 from 3 rides and is part of the team is better than returning to a rider who's treated the club poorly in the past imo.

There are a few riders around without a club anyway: Purchase, Basford, Halder, Speight, Parker or even giving Piper a proper chance. A couple of those would allow Govier to start at reserve too. Surely the issue is signing 6 riders which leaves 4.04 when they were unlikely to sign the better riders to fit that figure e.g. Luke Harris.

I may have criticised Mullins' signing but in every other way I applaud the fantastic work that the club has done on and off the track.

I think that the Warriors were banking on a 40 point limit and bringing Kelsey Dugard back. When the points limit changed, it left them rather high and dry and fitting in as best they can and, in that, they aren't alone. Kent admitted they were making the team up to 40 points and have had to have a radical rethink and others are having trouble with their final placings.

Its difficult to disagree with your view on Mullins. Given his record, it seems to me this was a case of just getting someone in to make the team up and not being particularly choosy about it.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Two posts in as many weeks - this is a first for me :)

Anyways, I just wanted to share with you some of my thoughts on Rik Mullins and why we have brought him into the squad.

Rik, I know, has not been the most reliable rider in his past and has indeed been viewed to have let the Islanders down previously. Now, while I appreciate that this can be viewed as a letdown in the past I am a believer in tomorrow and the way forward. While I understand tomorrow is usually written in conjunction with the past, when we understand the past we can create the right path for the future. Rik was a young man and all over the place really during his previous time in speedway but having spoken with the lad, along with Jackie Vatcher, we feel that by bringing him to our environment with the right support around, him he has a chance, a real chance, to make it and give the Warriors a fantastic reserve pairing.

I have to say that Rik to his credit has pursued the club relentlessly since the end of the season for a team spot and we have been talking with him to understand more about his family and personal goals for 2017, probably more than any other rider - as we know that historically there was an element of confusion or disorientation in life. The result of these conversations is a rider who we believe will be born again, committed to the Warriors (and I have to say there have been 3 other clubs wanting him), our fans, our sponsors, the management but also his team mates.

Rik will, along with his team mates, have access to My First Skid and the support and ethos only the Warriors can provide him right now.

The truth is, if Rik were to leave us half way through the season for an unexplained reason, I would view this as a personal failing on me and the Warriors and not that of Rik because in 2017 he is ours to lose really; we have the opportunity to bring the best out of him; we have the opportunity to work with him and we have the opportunity to develop him and take him to the next level. And I for one am extremely grateful for that. Let’s see what 2017 brings and I hope that all Warriors Fans who have valued our viewpoint, committment and judgment to date, even if they disagree with us, will join us and give Rik the support all Warriors deserve and I am sure that you will all be rewarded with the bright, interactive, challenging, and loyal rider we can mold into a fine young man and rider.

Yours in speedway,

Barry

• Like 7

I have to say yet again another positive release & approach to the situation regarding the Rikki Mullins signing by the IOW promotion.

An honest response by Barry towards all IOW & speedway fans and full acceptance that they have made a debatable signing which is incredibly rare as far to many promoters take no responsibility regarding the riders they track.

Do i personally think that the signing of a rider who has done very little competitive riding since 2014 is a good one? No

Do i think that pestering a club for a team place is justification for the signing of a rider over those who have been actively racing & putting in effort via amateur / development leagues? No

Do i wish IOW all the best with the signing of Rikki Mullins & the upcoming season? Unquestionably Yes. I cannot think of a team more deserving of success for the effort & enthusiasm they have bred back into the club & sincerely hope that this signing does not prove to be the undoing of their hard work.

Some really good, honest posts regarding this signing.

I got to know Rik and his family really well in the past.

We shared some great times.

We shared some good times.

And we shared some not so good times.

Barry...I have to say that your post is very honest and very professional.

There are many reasons why certain riders don't live up to their true potential and your post explains some of these in a caring, understanding and professional way.

If you can get the best out of Rik, he really could be a steal on a 3 point average.

I for one can't wait to see him back on the big IOW track that I know he can be so good on.

It will be good to meet up with him and his dad in the pits again.....and remember Rik...get that velco on your seat and keep looking forward.

You Mug!

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by wightlink flyer

A promoter coming on here and explaining a decision. That's (almost) a first :approve:

Not surprising its Isle of Wight :t:

Can't believe the signing got knocked tbh, he would have been one of the first 3 pointers I would have tried signing after Jenkins Brennan Bickley etc.

Big talent who should romp against some of the other declared reserves.

Can't believe the signing got knocked tbh, he would have been one of the first 3 pointers I would have tried signing after Jenkins Brennan Bickley etc.

• Like 1

Rik Mullins, Rick Mullins....so good they named him twice.

:)

Hi guys, some of you may already know but for those who don't follow the Warriors on social media, the 2017 Warrior race jackets were unveiled a couple of days ago during the latest Warrior 100 live draw on Facebook, from a very special location. To view the video which includes the live draw, the new jackets, information and location reveal and much more, please click the link below.

http://www.speedwayportal.com/wight-warriors-home

Thanks guys.

Andy

Edited by Andy Wightlink Warriors

Hi guys, some of you may already know but for those who don't follow the Warriors on social media, the 2017 Warrior race jackets were unveiled a couple of days ago during the latest Warrior 100 live draw on Facebook, from a very special location. To view the video which includes the live draw, the new jackets, information and location reveal and much more, please click the link below.

http://www.speedwayportal.com/wight-warriors-home

Thanks guys.

Andy

Andy, Can't get the link to open.

• Like 1

they're a massive improvement on last year. too much of the sponsors for my liking but that's modern times for you, in one word 'snazzy'.

• Like 1