British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Kent Kings 2017

No, not for me he wasn't 8 points was far too expensive for the start of last season and I think the unfortunate injuries could have been a blessing in disguise so we could get Adam and Ellis instead. And Perks who was on a lower average was a much better rider. Im not putting the guy down he's a great head to have in your team and can be a very good rider especially on a 5 average but he's not unknown for the odd bad score when it matters.

Anyways good luck for 2017, a bit disappointed we aren't meeting over Easter.

I'm not a Kent fan. Just funny how when a rider rides for Eastbourne he's god's gift but if someone else signs him then it's a completely different story.

Hopwood is a good signing on his average but Kent have built their team wrong and realistically he's going to have to do the job of a second heat leader for them to do well.

• Like 1

One of Ben,s best tracks ,,nice lad,,wish him well for a good season,,..

• Like 2

Anyone know anything about Alex Spooner?

Kents reserve until Anders comes into team,then No 8.

Averaged 5 from 7 MDL matches for Mildenhall last season. (for comparison Niall Strudwick averaged 8 from 8 MDL matches in 2016)

• Like 1

I would say there is no fear about the rider doing well and keeping Anders out of the team. From whenever i have seen him he has been on ropey equipment (could have been replaced over the winter), has been running in the Scunthorpe amateur support class (could have made dramatic improvements over the winter) and appeared a little stroppy when results didn't go his way (could be said of most speedway riders).

Getting to some of the early Kent meetings will mean busting a gut this year & with the offerings on show im not sure how much i will bother?

Edited by Sings4Kings

Has Spooner been officially announced then?

Only to people in the know. :D:lol::t:

Very quiet on here but been a good few weeks for Kent kings.

Firstly the addition of the new (free to join) junior supporters club called the "Munch kings". Personally i think it's a great jesture by Len. We are blessed at Kent to buck the overall trend and have lots and lots of children in attendance. It will be great for my seven year old daughter to have that little bit more sense of being part of something.

Secondly the announcement of the American dream team fixture, this could be a strong line up as well as the Americans have declared it as part of the World Cup preparations. I d love to see Broc Nicol, Gino Manzares, and Max Rummell (excuse spellings) visit central park. Be a good measuring stick for Thomas and Stoneman against genuine international riders of similar age too.

Thirdly and possibly most positive is the intention of running a team in the SDL with many of the home meetings for that being held at the Iwade facility.

Apart from Nathan and Ben I ve seen some very positive practice from our other 6 and Jamie Couzins looking very good he has to be in our junior side and will be pushing for first team action almost straight away.

So a top number 1 , solid engine room and competition for spots at reserve, we are set up as strongly as anyone for this coming season.

Roll on easter

Very quiet on here but been a good few weeks for Kent kings.

Firstly the addition of the new (free to join) junior supporters club called the "Munch kings". Personally i think it's a great jesture by Len. We are blessed at Kent to buck the overall trend and have lots and lots of children in attendance. It will be great for my seven year old daughter to have that little bit more sense of being part of something.

Secondly the announcement of the American dream team fixture, this could be a strong line up as well as the Americans have declared it as part of the World Cup preparations. I d love to see Broc Nicol, Gino Manzares, and Max Rummell (excuse spellings) visit central park. Be a good measuring stick for Thomas and Stoneman against genuine international riders of similar age too.

Thirdly and possibly most positive is the intention of running a team in the SDL with many of the home meetings for that being held at the Iwade facility.

Apart from Nathan and Ben I ve seen some very positive practice from our other 6 and Jamie Couzins looking very good he has to be in our junior side and will be pushing for first team action almost straight away.

So a top number 1 , solid engine room and competition for spots at reserve, we are set up as strongly as anyone for this coming season.

Roll on easter

So Couzins has been practising then! Does he want a full-time NL spot?

Not spoke to him for a little while but I think the only reason he did not ride last year was he lacked reliable transport. The videos I saw from Iwade last week he was lapping as quickly as Georgie Wood.

• Like 1

TB279.

Has been quiet on here a while,but as you say things have happened.

Hope Americans bring a strong young side this time.

The last meeting (our first) was a bit of a farce as far as the American team was concerned.

Needed one or two riders from this side of the pond to make up numbers and if I remember right one of their riders was 50plus?

As you say roll on Easter. :t:

From a steve Evans post on fb.

TEAM USA NAMES SEVEN INVITED YOUNGSTERS, BROC NICOL TO RACE UNDER 21 WORLD QUALIFIER

Team USA has invited seven of its best young prospects to partake in its pre World Cup European training camp and warm up matches.

Gino Manzares with two years of British League experience is the first invitee. Manzares has raced for Team USA in three World Cup campaigns, his highlight being a 9 point haul and defeat of double World Champion Tai Woffinden at Kings Lynn in 2014.

AMA ranked #2 rider Max Ruml is the second rider to have been offered a place in the warm up matches. Ruml featured in both 2014 and 2015 campaigns. He scored four points in his World Cup debut in 2014.

Luke Beckerr and Broc Nicol, both who rode in the 2016 World Cup Race Off at Belle Vue are the next two riders offered a place. Becker briefly stunned the Manchester crowd with a breathtaking sweep by Niels Kristen Iversen in his third ride. Nicol is basing himself in Europe for the 2017 season to take his career to the next level.

Nicol, in addition, has been selected as the USA nominee in the 2017 Under 21 Individual Championship. He races a semi final in Italy on May 20th and a top 4 finish will put him in the three round World Championship Series.

The final three places have been offered to riders who have yet to race for Team USA. Dillon Ruml, the younger brother of Max roared to a sensational National #3 ranking last year in just his second year of adult competition. Gage Geist, the fast starting protégé of 1981 and 1982 World Champion Bruce Penhall is the next invited rider. Rounding out the talented list of riders is Kurtis Hamilll, son of 1996 World Champion Billy Hamill. The ultra professional young Hamill is making his own mark on the revived American domestic scene.

Ricky Wells will not be riding in the warm up matches due to his racing schedule but has firmly expressed his desire to team management to be involved in the SWC team.

Team Manager Lance King enthused, Im excited that we can offer these young riders this opportunity. This is the start of our campaign to get the USA team back on the podium of WTC. The World Cup European training camp and warm up matches are not solely to get the riders used to the big tracks but everything as a whole, racing as a team, traveling as a team, working on the bikes together, eating different European foods, etc.. I want to expose them to what it is like racing in Europe on a weekly basis. In the end it all comes around to the WTC and I cant think of a better way to prepare than this GO USA."

Broc Nicol, when asked to comment on his selection for the World Under 21 Championship said, I can't even start to tell you how pumped I am to have gotten the call to compete in the U21 FIM World Championship. It's a huge deal for me and has always been a dream of mine, well it's always been a dream/goal of mine to win it but getting the spot to compete in it is a start. I envision it almost everyday. I have worked my tail off to get an opportunity like this and I am going to keep putting in the work and dedication it takes to take it to the next level. That's why I am over here traveling Europe trying to do everything I can to improve myself as a rider and be the best rider I can possibly be. But I am super excited for U21 World Championship, all I can think about is getting as many laps, open meetings, and experience as I can, so by the time the U21 comes around it will show. But these opportunities I have been given this year have been a chance in a lifetime and I'm going to push myself 110% to take it to the next level and improve as much as possible. "Don't wish for it, Work for it."

The Young Americans will race at Kent on Monday 26th June with two more dates to be added ahead of the World Cup Round at Kings Lynn on July 1st.

• Like 1

Kurtis Hamill son of Billy.

Now that would be intriguing.

Sounding like a very interesting fixture,lets hope for big crowd. :D

• Like 1

Hi,

Anyone know if the Kings are having a press & practice day at all?