British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Kent Kings 2017

I think this seasons top sides will be the ones having the best improving youngsters,,and in this respect i think Kent have one of the best in Jack Thomas. ..Nathan Stoneman though around a while is still open to improve on good equipment,,was hoping lakeside would sign him ,,,but there you go good luck to him at Kent....And Hopwood is a steal on his false average.......Most teams looking similar in strenght ,,so improvers.will be vital......

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

Certainly tricky to judge which teams will prosper this year and who will falter. Most teams have built around a strong heatleader trio like Mildenhall, Cradley & IOW whereas Eastbourne & Brum are looking down the strength in depth route.

It could be argued that the Kent side looks like an in depth side but with a out and out number one which is a different approach to many but will it be successful?

I guess the major question to be answered is what combination would score most points Stoneman & Clifton or Shanes & Andrews / 3 pointer?

Looking at Stonemans results last year I make him 6.2 so I must have missed something.

I have 34 from 23 rides at home and 28 from 17 rides away. His best home was 9 from 4 and away 16 from 6 both against Buxton who had a dire team out that day and got a real hammering. All bar 2 meetings were from reserve and a lot of very straight forward opponents.

Could it be the worst signing of the season?

Why on earth did they not keep James Shanes? with Bowen, Shanes, Thomas and presumably Hopwood they would have a top four to keep them in the top half running instead of which they are looking like a candidate for the wooden spoon.

With a track, Stadium and support like theirs the fans deserve better in my view.

Youve missed Stoneman getting 21 from 7 rides at Coventry.

Brum looking at strength in depth???? U sure about that, all there top 4 average over 7!!!

Should have clarified strength in depth 1-5. Four 7+ riders & one 3 pointer i personally feel is more in depth than three 8 pointers & two 3ish riders like Mildenhall have lined up with.

As pointed out by Waco above often the key to a successful season is who can sign the top reserves / big improvers and can either keep them in the 6 & 7 jackets or replace them with an equally potent rider.

• Like 1

Youve missed Stoneman getting 21 from 7 rides at Coventry.

Indeed I did, because Storm are missing this year. He had two good scalps as well, Carr and Perry but the rest of the Cov team looked poor.

Wished I had not looked at that match because the performance of Mark Baseby seemed uninspiring.

Still going to stick my neck out and say he will be a problem. Hope for your sake I am wrong.

• Like 1

Looking at Stonemans results last year I make him 6.2 so I must have missed something.

I have 34 from 23 rides at home and 28 from 17 rides away. His best home was 9 from 4 and away 16 from 6 both against Buxton who had a dire team out that day and got a real hammering. All bar 2 meetings were from reserve and a lot of very straight forward opponents.

Could it be the worst signing of the season?

Why on earth did they not keep James Shanes? with Bowen, Shanes, Thomas and presumably Hopwood they would have a top four to keep them in the top half running instead of which they are looking like a candidate for the wooden spoon.

With a track, Stadium and support like theirs the fans deserve better in my view.

1) Worst signing of season? No way.

2) I think we have done the Shanes situation,so move on.

3) If Hopwood signs will be an absolute steal on his average.

4) Candidate for wooden spoon???No way.

Bowen one of best No 1`s in League,Thomas one of best youngsters around,Hopwood would put 2 points on his average,and Clifton-Stoneman-Andrews all capable of upping average.

Must say the final reserve could be very important.

With most teams now taking shape,has the look of a MUCH more competitive League this year than it was last year. :D

• Like 2

1) Worst signing of season? No way.

2) I think we have done the Shanes situation,so move on.

3) If Hopwood signs will be an absolute steal on his average.

4) Candidate for wooden spoon???No way.

Bowen one of best No 1`s in League,Thomas one of best youngsters around,Hopwood would put 2 points on his average,and Clifton-Stoneman-Andrews all capable of upping average.

Must say the final reserve could be very important.

With most teams now taking shape,has the look of a MUCH more competitive League this year than it was last year. :D

Couldn't agree more,hopefully mean more close matches which are always more entertaining. Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

Stoneman's average makes him a gamble. The Kings need him to maintain his starting figure and Hopwood to return to his usual 7-8 point average to stand any chance of success.

I agree. Big performances at Coventry and Belle Vue but he never got near Smith & Parkinson-Blackburn at Smallbrook.

All of those were at reserve and its a fair jump to heat leader.

I agree. Big performances at Coventry and Belle Vue but he never got near Smith & Parkinson-Blackburn at Smallbrook.

Good point man well made

Also thou Hopwood has artefishilly low average, it will be his 12th year i think in nl? never been a true 1or 5 yeah

Fair point.

But investment in new equipment might help him bridge that gap. :t:

Fair point.

But investment in new equipment might help him bridge that gap. :t:

If he can pass Matt Williamson at Belle Vue, his equipment can't have been that bad.

Rowe confirmed on 3.0 , but can't ride till his 15th birthday 9th may