British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Does British Speedway Have Future?

Looking at the situation with regards to Coventry and other teams 'teetering on the brink'. I think it's time that supporters and promoters alike start to take a serious look at how the sport is run. There seems to be a bunker attitude that everything will carry on as normal as long as we keep doing the same. Making connotations to the National League in the 1960 is a valuable historical premise but then there was a thriving Provincial League.

On every level there needs to be change i.e. admission prices, expensive foreign riders, making the bikes cheaper and more available to experienced and novice riders alike, entertainment value, marketing and above all reaching out to a new audience.

Unless something is done I fear that the sport will cease to exist.

Any idea's either serious or fanciful will be welcome and contribute to the future of our wonderful family sport

Speedway firstly needs to lure back the thousands of fans that have stopped going for whatever reason,, most I know because the product is not good enough rather than the issue of rules. You can attract as many new fans as you want , if the product is not good enough people wont stay on board for long.

• Like 1

Much more should and could be made of the thrills and spills, grudges between teams and riders etc etc.

Couldn't agree more. On a different thread one or two people are still bellyaching about Cook and Woffinden's exploits in the Play Off final but we need more of that kind of stuff to get the crowd going rather than falling asleep in their seats / camping chairs. A little bit of controversy does speedway the power of good when it happens as long as nobody gets injured.

• Like 2

Speedway is the same format, same people, same rules, same bikes and what people enjoy is mixing it up. For example different make/size/fuel/engines/frame, scratch races grasstrack type supension for the more agricultural tracks and above all admission prices that reflect out current financial climate. Empty stands do not make for a good atmosphere.

You can change rules make the racing more competitive but fundamentally to get people through the turnstiles change has to occur. Speedway is a wonderful spectacle particularly under floodlights and the smell of 'R' is something special but we need to attract individuals who are not as an anoraky as myself.

Think we definitely need to see more needle, whether real or not between the riders and opposing team managers. Take a look at the banter between Eddie Jones and Michael Chieka ahead of the weekend rugby international. All the talk created lots of column inches and stirred up interest ahead of the game.

Barry Hearn has managed to create "personalities" in Darts and all we really have is Nikki P.

Surely with the likes of Craig Cook, Jason Garrity etc we can come up with more sound bites and nicknames that attract a younger audience.

Think we definitely need to see more needle, whether real or not between the riders and opposing team managers. Take a look at the banter between Eddie Jones and Michael Chieka ahead of the weekend rugby international. All the talk created lots of column inches and stirred up interest ahead of the game.

Barry Hearn has managed to create "personalities" in Darts and all we really have is Nikki P.

Surely with the likes of Craig Cook, Jason Garrity etc we can come up with more sound bites and nicknames that attract a younger audience.

Nicki Pedersen v Monster

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. On a different thread one or two people are still bellyaching about Cook and Woffinden's exploits in the Play Off final but we need more of that kind of stuff to get the crowd going rather than falling asleep in their seats / camping chairs. A little bit of controversy does speedway the power of good when it happens as long as nobody gets injured.

My one and only experience of a Polish speedway league meeting was in 2011 , Gniezno v Bydgoszcz . Scott Nicholls was riding for Gniezno and Emil Sayfutinov was riding in the visiting team . On every lamp post and every wall of the small town was a poster featuring a picture of the previous year's scuffle between the two at Cardiff . The result was a full ten thousand capacity stadium .

Not saying anything close to that would be achievable here , but simmering feuds in any sporting occasion adds that extra bit of spice that puts bums on seats . God help the GP's when Nikki calls it a day

• Like 7

Unfortunately its not as noisy as it was.

Surely jumping the start is gaining an unfair advantage

The rider sits still, does not move.

The rider does not touch the tapes.

All he has done is anticipated perfectly, how on earth can that be judged as jumping the start

• Like 5

TMC - best post I've read on here. Completely correct in every way. Put your tin hat on though.

All he has done is anticipated perfectly, how on earth can that be judged as jumping the start

I've always thought that if you haven't touched/broken the tapes, then you haven't false started.

If you do touch the tapes, you IMMEDIATELY go back 15 yards. Riders stay at the start.

If you do break the tapes, then you are EXCLUDED, no ifs, no buts, no going back 15, no reserves, no appeals.

If a rider wants to risk slightly anticipating the tapes going up, then good luck to them.

:t:

• Like 1

If he does that in the referee's opinion then the race doesn't get pulled back

I've always thought that if you haven't touched/broken the tapes, then you haven't false started.

If you do touch the tapes, you IMMEDIATELY go back 15 yards. Riders stay at the start.

If you do break the tapes, then you are EXCLUDED, no ifs, no buts, no going back 15, no reserves, no appeals.

If a rider wants to risk slightly anticipating the tapes going up, then good luck to them.

:t:

So a rolling start is ok then ?

We can twaek the sport once it's in better health. What I require is idea's something not tried or racing that gives better value and entertainment at a realistic admission price. Amateur riders probably aren't the way forward as it's too expensive and you would need a second full time income? Clicking turnstiles is the answer. Protential promoters need to try new formats and see what does and doesn't work. Pirate tracks aren't the answer but something devolved from the SCB may be the solution?

We can twaek the sport once it's in better health. What I require is idea's something not tried or racing that gives better value and entertainment at a realistic admission price. Amateur riders probably aren't the way forward as it's too expensive and you would need a second full time income? Clicking turnstiles is the answer. Protential promoters need to try new formats and see what does and doesn't work. Pirate tracks aren't the answer but something devolved from the SCB may be the solution?

You mean like handicap racing Great for us not so for the riders .....

Is there too much money going out of the sport - machinery and tuning it, for example? Riders having multiple machines must cost a fortune to maintain. For domestic racing, you do not need mega-bucks spending on machinery, as long as it's an equal playing field. Perhaps I'm wrong, but there was once a day when even the top boys had two machines at best. for league matches. Even the raw junior nowadays seems to want the best of things, and this doesn't help the sport whatsoever. It is a small sport and should be treated as such when cloth needs to be cut.

• Like 1