British Speedway Forum
Conkers

Ice Speedway Results 2016-2017

Hope they can fit some more GP's in between. Really annoying for the riders, especially the Russians.

But where is it possible to find a host willing to take what I assume is a pretty high financial risk to host a GP weekend? And also where can you find a big enough fanbase/interest to host a GP when all the common western european hosts already have a competition?

Edited by erinil1

Hope they can fit some more GP's in between. Really annoying for the riders, especially the Russians.

Lots of problems i think.Extending the Ice season into the speedway season is a problem for fans,British at least,where the season is well under way,but could cause clashes with the few riders who ride on ice and dirt.The Polish season is getting warmed up by then with training meetings and not sure the Polish clubs will understand one or two riders missing when they have contracts and should be in attendance in Poland

Unfortunately, I just don't think there is enough spectator interest, or venues willing to pay for the cost of a GP weekend.

The ice speedway scene sadly appears to become smaller with each year that passes. The only way that I can see the trend being broken is for a couple of non-Russian riders, to break through and consistently challenge the Russians. Apart from Franz Zorn, as the results this year indicate, there is no one who can give the Russians a run for their money.

Got to give the Russians credit.They are trying to help by offering team spots to non-Russian riders.Sadly there just isn't the facilities in Europe to get enough riders interested long enough to really get that far.The world outside Russia is contracting.othing much from the Netherlands,Järf looked a good prospect but fell away as it seems has Weber for Germany.So along with Czecho and Poland neither the Dutch or Germans really have a decent prospect on the horizon and with the retirement of Seifter neither have Austria.The Russians look set to dominate for the next few years.What good would a longer series do as the title could well be decided long before the end and so would the domination of the Russian riders be even more enhanced

One country dominating a sport to such an extent just isn't interesting to most people other than a novelty one off visit

• Like 1

I don't agree about the spectator interest. Inzell is sold out every year. Berlin had more visitors then last year. Heerenveen had good figures with 17.000 over three nights (with 8k on saturday). I'm sure an extra GP in Austria or even Sweden would be possible.

I was in Togliatti too and it was different there, stadium was nowhere near full.

Regarding the Dutch riders: we have three lads going big in the next few years. Ex Moto3 rider Jasper Iwema made huge progress and made Ledstrom and Bauer lifes difficult in only his 3rd race ever. Too bad he got excluded twice due to innerline and a crash. Then we have Jimmy Tuinstra (Johnny his son) and Bart Schaap. I can see a bright future for all three, all they need is the right backing.

Got to give the Russians credit.They are trying to help by offering team spots to non-Russian riders

This is because there aren't enough good Russian kids coming through.

Money is a huge problem in Russia. Riders can't afford much these days.

Edited by DutchGrasstrack

. I can see a bright future for all three, all they need is the right backing.

Money is a huge problem in Russia. Riders can't afford much these days.

The first point is the reason promising newcomers like Järf and Tschatschin left or couldn't progress further.Have to hope your boys don't hit the same problem

And the second point is what i was refering to with an extended season causing problems for riders who do Polish speedway.The money in Poland is too good to get in the way of a problem of fixture congestion.You can bet that riders would rather ride for a Polish contract than Ice Speedway.I was just wndering if Ice Speedway as an FIM event would have priority and the Ice riders would be made to ride.But then knowing that they might just refuse to qualify for the GPs.Ok it is nly 1 or 2 riders anyway.....

But there aren't really any riders doubling up in ice speedway and Polish League Speedway, are there? Tobi Busch maybe, but his absence would hardly bother the Polish league.

I can't see a Problem here, but spectator interest my just not be the same for ice racing in April or even later in the year (there are now some all-year-round ice Arenas available) when lots of other motorsports is going on again.

Heerenveen -

English commentary !!

My link is also in english :P quite strange pronounciations of some names,i must say,but english :rofl: