British Speedway Forum

The Greatest Riders

(1969/88 B.L. (20) Briggs,Mauger,Michanek,Penhall,Lee,Collins,Nielsen, Gundersen,Carter,Crump,Sanders,E..Boocock,Sigalos,T.Jansson,Autrey,Jessup ,Ashby,R.Wilson,Boulger,Simmons.

When I said "BL era", I meant the years 1965-1990...

My list for that would be (in no order):

1 - Ivan Mauger

2 - Barry Briggs

3 - Bruce Penhall

4 - Ole Olsen

5 - Hans Nielsen

6 - Erik Gundersen

7 - Phil Crump

8 - Nigel Boocock

9 - Ken McKinlay

10 - Peter Collins

11 - Eric Boocock

12 - Michael Lee

13 - Malcolm Simmons

14 - Anders Michanek

15 - Kenny Carter

16 - Torbjorn Harrysson

17 - Gote Nordin

18 - Ray Wilson

19 - Dave Jessup

20 - Jim Airey

Honourable mentions for Morton (not Wal or Val), Sanders, Ashby, Knudsen, Autrey, Bengt Jansson, Shawn Moran, Sigalos, Louis, and Sjosten.

Steve

Honourable mentions for Morton (not Wal or Val), Sanders, Ashby, Knudsen, Autrey, Bengt Jansson, Shawn Moran, Sigalos, Louis, and Sjosten.

Steve

That'll be Dave then? :t:;)

That'll be Dave then? :t:;)

Of course not! It's my old mate Ray! :drink:

Steve

• Like 1

Re Sidney the Robins' post on Dec 18th-while I appreciate being mentioned in the same breath as for example such luminaries as that young guy Norbold, et al., I must disagree that I am an elder statesman- I'm only 70 FFS-although I will admit to being on the cusp of middle age. I reckon to be considered an elder statesman you have to be 90 at least so I reckon Split Waterman qualifies as does Chuck Berry. Having said that I was in UK enjoying speedway only for the period 1964-68. However- I do agree with comments that Bjorn Knutsson was a giant of that period-I was privileged to see him win the World Title in 65 at my first visit to Wembley. I do miss the excitement of the one-off World Finals , although I accept that there were a few top guys who missed out winning due to engine failure etc. e.g. Dave Jessup, or falls e.g. Graham Warren, and others won only because it was held on their own "home" track e.g. Egon Muller imho Don't follow the current GP system-think its daft that you can become Champ without winning a single Grand Prix e.g. Mark Loram

As others have said this is a great thread with interesting lists from all and I have enjoyed reading the various erudite (that word again) postings. I undertake to contact Split and Chuck and ask them what they drink-I will share the findings with forumlanders so that we can all order a case of it!!! P.S. The last WF I attended was in L.A. in 1982-another great one!!

• Like 2

1 - Ivan Mauger

2 - Barry Briggs

3 - Bruce Penhall

4 - Ole Olsen

5 - Hans Nielsen

6 - Erik Gundersen

7 - Phil Crump

8 - Nigel Boocock

9 - Ken McKinlay

10 - Peter Collins

11 - Eric Boocock

12 - Michael Lee

13 - Malcolm Simmons

14 - Anders Michanek

15 - Kenny Carter

16 - Torbjorn Harrysson

17 - Gote Nordin

18 - Ray Wilson

19 - Dave Jessup

20 - Jim Airey

Steve

An interesting list but no real use in regard to the search for the era 1969-1988 which is what this thread is trying to analyse.

Edited by Guest

Surely chris morton needs to make that list, ahead of say Boulger or Ashby?

Nice list though Sid.

I am bias and you are right Chris should be in it. Ashby i suppose to be honest never showed his full worth he was a member of the 75 Norden winning side also that meeting he won a prestigious Victor Ludorum second halve final.Overall Martin underachieved for me he was one hell of a good rider.Boulger i have always rated tough to beat tough/as old boots and over that period he could beat everyone he was often overshadowed by Crump/Sanders John was a super rider in his own right. Edited by Sidney the robin

Re Sidney the Robins' post on Dec 18th-while I appreciate being mentioned in the same breath as for example such luminaries as that young guy Norbold, et al., I must disagree that I am an elder statesman- I'm only 70 FFS-although I will admit to being on the cusp of middle age. I reckon to be considered an elder statesman you have to be 90 at least so I reckon Split Waterman qualifies as does Chuck Berry. Having said that I was in UK enjoying speedway only for the period 1964-68. However- I do agree with comments that Bjorn Knutsson was a giant of that period-I was privileged to see him win the World Title in 65 at my first visit to Wembley. I do miss the excitement of the one-off World Finals , although I accept that there were a few top guys who missed out winning due to engine failure etc. e.g. Dave Jessup, or falls e.g. Graham Warren, and others won only because it was held on their own "home" track e.g. Egon Muller imho Don't follow the current GP system-think its daft that you can become Champ without winning a single Grand Prix e.g. Mark Loram

As others have said this is a great thread with interesting lists from all and I have enjoyed reading the various erudite (that word again) postings. I undertake to contact Split and Chuck and ask them what they drink-I will share the findings with forumlanders so that we can all order a case of it!!! P.S. The last WF I attended was in L.A. in 1982-another great one!!

Now, now Bob Bath! Somebody will mention names like Tommy Price and Freddie Williams! Oops! That's just what I seem to have done! :unsure:

Edited by Guest

God you ent much older than me BOBBATH 😜anyway have a nice christmas.😂 Edited by Sidney the robin

An interesting list but no real use in regard to the search for the era 1969-1988 which is what this thread is trying to analyse.

Sincerest apologies for being "no real use" in your quest to analyse... :cry:

Steve

• Like 2

69/88

I Mauger

O Olsen

Pe Collins

M Lee

D Jessup

C Morton

S Wigg

K Tatum

K Carter

P Crump

B Sanders

S Moran

K Moran

B Penhall

D Sigalos

S Ermolenko

H Nielsen

E Gundersen

Jo Pedersen

T Knudsen

89/16

H Nielsen

S Ermolenko

Jo Pedersen

P Jonsson

G Havelock

M Loram

T Rickardsson

J Crump

L Adams

G Hancock

B Hamill

N Pedersen

T Gollob

J Hampel

A Jonsson

N K Iversen

T Woffinden

C Holder

D Ward

E Sayfutdinov

1 - Ivan Mauger

2 - Barry Briggs

3 - Bruce Penhall

4 - Ole Olsen

5 - Hans Nielsen

6 - Erik Gundersen

7 - Phil Crump

8 - Nigel Boocock

9 - Ken McKinlay

10 - Peter Collins

11 - Eric Boocock

12 - Michael Lee

13 - Malcolm Simmons

14 - Anders Michanek

15 - Kenny Carter

16 - Torbjorn Harrysson

17 - Gote Nordin

18 - Ray Wilson

19 - Dave Jessup

20 - Jim Airey

Steve

Steve

I do owe you an apology by the look of things chunky. My response to your submission does indeed look that way.

I would reiterate - the list you provided for 1965-90 was extremely interesting and like other Posters I found it of great merit. All I was trying to say was that period you submitted does not allow for amalgamation in regard to that currently under debate which is 1969-88.

The hard and dedicated work that you obviously put in to compile your chart in to be commended and that fact is fully appreciated by myself.

Edited by Guest

Steve

No Tommy J , Steve ? that surprised me as you love your Wimbledon Dons.I suppose it is you having an opinion without having your Bias head on unlike me concerning Martin Ashby eh!!😀😜 Edited by Sidney the robin

No Tommy J , Steve ? that surprised me as you love your Wimbledon Dons.I suppose it is you having an opinion without having your Bias head on unlike me concerning Martin Ashby eh!!

I do try to use my head rather than my heart, particularly when it involves a "genuine" contender like Tommy. Had he continued the form he was showing at the time of his tragic accident - even for two or three years - he would have been a definite on my list, but potential is a difficult thing to judge. Of course, after we lost Tommy, your boy Martin was the most popular rider at Plough Lane in 1976! Funny thing is that, while Tommy showed perhaps a little more brilliance in his short career, the longevity and consistency of Martin's career would realistically see him classed as "better" than Tommy - in MY opinion.

Steve

Edited by chunky

I do try to use my head rather than my heart, particularly when it involves a "genuine" contender like Tommy. Had he continued the form he was showing at the time of his tragic accident - even for two or three years - he would have been a definite on my list, but potential is a difficult thing to judge. Of course, after we lost Tommy, your boy Martin was the most popular rider at Plough Lane in 1976! Funny thing is that, while Tommy showed perhaps a little more brilliance in his short career, the longevity and consistency of Martin's career would realistically see him classed as "better" than Tommy - in MY opinion.

Steve

Tommy had real class and i am convinced he would of been a World Champion.To think he could of been still around in the late 80s/90s real class had everything.Chuffed i actually see him ride in the Helmet against crash and beat him in the decider at Cradley often. think what he could of achieved.?😀 Edited by Sidney the robin

The latest era discussed is for 1969-88. From the excellent rider lists so far submitted, has any member managed to devise a collective assessment for this era please?