British Speedway Forum

When Did Uk Speedway Decline Start?

I have never in the nearly 50 years I've been going to Speedway, talked about Speedway to people who weren't really aware of it or taken newcomers along had any of them ask that. The only time I've ever had any discussions about attendances is with people who are already involved as spectators or in other capacities.

Think supporters should have been the word "Sponsors"

There has been much discussion about the dire situation in speedway though there needs to be more idea's about how the sport will be run in the future. It's a fantastic spectacle what's required is something that will ensure it's survival. Doing nothing or tweaking a few buttons probably is not the answer?

• Like 1

Unfortunately due to my business and house renovations I have limited time and resources but sometime later this year I intend to start an organisation dedicated to saving and financing speedway. This could be involved with reforming and supporting tracks under a new format dedicated to home grown riders and lowering the costs for realistic admission charges while evaluating whether 500cc Solo bikes are giving the entertainment value for future spectators. Comments please I'm hard skinned so criticisms whatever they are will be welcome !!

• Like 1

Unfortunately due to my business and house renovations I have limited time and resources but sometime later this year I intend to start an organisation dedicated to saving and financing speedway. This could be involved with reforming and supporting tracks under a new format dedicated to home grown riders and lowering the costs for realistic admission charges while evaluating whether 500cc Solo bikes are giving the entertainment value for future spectators. Comments please I'm hard skinned so criticisms whatever they are will be welcome !!

I hope that all comments are positive. A bit of background info would be helpful for those of us who don't know you. Only having 50 posts means that you are not a prolific poster but that could be to your advantage, it could show you are more of a thinker than a ranter.

I for one look forward to hearing more.

Thanks for the comments I'm more of pragmatist and I tend be an agitator and generally in the background. I'm very much in your face and vocal but definintely not into deformation and use social media as a platform not into twitter or facebook etc. As I said idea's and formats would be helpful so as to formulate a constitutional document that could be integrated into an agenda with realistic aims and proposals. Above all I have no criticsms of the current regime they do a sterling job often unpaid.

Edited by Pieman72

i suppose rather than looking for grand theories to pin point the beginning of the decline a simple question to those who have stopped attending but still come on here might give some clues. I am one such non attender these days - my answer would be expense of admission as the main reason. Now I'm out of the habit and wonder if I'll ever regain it.

I am on the verge of becoming a non attendee - the expense is a factor ( I no longer buy a programme but make my own race card - not only because of the cost but also the text size in their race card is too small to read easily ) but most importantly because I feel that value for money is very poor on the average match. Maybe three decent races and most with no passing or prospect of passing ) Regardless of how many deny it - the first out of the second bend is very likely to be the winner.

• Like 2

The racing quality frequently fails to reach an acceptable standard, usually there's little passing. But most of all, I think fans feel disconnected from their team, frequently incomplete, and made up on the night with guest riders, which has destroyed the team/fan connection.

This is accompanied by infrequent matches, lack of rider/team variety, poorly prepared racing surfaces, poor facilities, poor presentation and a like it or lump it attitude, not only from promoter to fan, but stadium owner to promoter... Cost would be absolutely fine if everything above cut the mustard, but it doesn't.. Riders still need paying, from a dwindling purse, because of a dwindling fanbase, hence increased admission and diluted teams..

• Like 4

To Pieman72 I would say I wish you every success.

I've said it before and I will say it again - the Rules of Speedway need looking at.

Get rid of 'Double Points' for a start and the laughable 'Joker' in the Speedway World Cup too. No Tactical Substitute to replace 'Double Points' either.

Speedway tries to present itself as a serious Sport and ends up looking more like 'It's a Knockout'.

As I said - laughable.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

To Pieman72 I would say I wish you every success.

I've said it before and I will say it again - the Rules of Speedway need looking at.

Get rid of 'Double Points' for a start and the laughable 'Joker' in the Speedway World Cup too. No Tactical Substitute to replace 'Double Points' either.

Speedway tries to present itself as a serious Sport and ends up looking more like 'It's a Knockout'.

As I said - laughable.

Seriously how long have tactical substitutes been around ? For as long as I can remember , at least 30 years plus.

Has the sport been a joke for that long ?

Seriously how long have tactical substitutes been around ? For as long as I can remember , at least 30 years plus.

Tactical subs were introduced in 1955.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

In answer to your question - on that issue - yes.

In your opinion !

That's what it's all about - opinions.

Do you have a problem with that?

In your opinion !

That's what it's all about - opinions.

Do you have a problem with that?

And there's the crunch, there are that many opinions that no change will ever happen due to the differing opinions on this forum. Its time for another "referendum" (but would the results would be accepted anymore than the last one?) maybe then, with a clear voice coming from supporters, the powers that be might just listen. Just my opinion :D.

• Like 1