British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tigerfeet

The 4's @ Peterborough

What kind of state is our sport in? I emailed Peterborough to establish if the date for 4's had been decided as I wanted to book a holiday around the whole weekend - shamed to say Peterborough have advised the BSPA have not given them a date yet (not blaming Peterborough) - when will we ever think about the long suffering dwindling number of fans our sport has - i accept lots of teams have a lot of juggling about before full fixture list comes out but this is one of the seasons big events - I enjoyed it last season but looks as though the event will lose more than just me and Mrs for not getting date sorted this early - rant over

• Like 2

And what will the format be? With 3 less teams can not do same as last year

Two groups of 5. Format can be worked out that in each heat 1 of the teams isn't represented. Top 2 teams in each group to the final. League 6 teams out, so top 3 from each of the 6 teams into an individual meeting. OK thats 18 rider but you just know at least 2 will withdraw!

At first I didn't like it but I hope they do Group A and then Group B as two separate meetings. It worked well last year.

What kind of state is our sport in? I emailed Peterborough to establish if the date for 4's had been decided as I wanted to book a holiday around the whole weekend - shamed to say Peterborough have advised the BSPA have not given them a date yet (not blaming Peterborough) - when will we ever think about the long suffering dwindling number of fans our sport has - i accept lots of teams have a lot of juggling about before full fixture list comes out but this is one of the seasons big events - I enjoyed it last season but looks as though the event will lose more than just me and Mrs for not getting date sorted this early - rant over

Little harsh.

The 4's will be factored into the fixtures and they haven't been sorted just yet, quite possibly because of situation at Coventry.

I'll be surprised if we don't know by mid February at the latest, which should give a good 4 months notice.

• Like 1

Two groups of 5. Format can be worked out that in each heat 1 of the teams isn't represented. Top 2 teams in each group to the final. League 6 teams out, so top 3 from each of the 6 teams into an individual meeting. OK thats 18 rider but you just know at least 2 will withdraw!

At first I didn't like it but I hope they do Group A and then Group B as two separate meetings. It worked well last year.

I thought the idea of an individual meeting had been scrapped and they were gonna hold the NL 4's instead?

• Like 1

I thought the idea of an individual meeting had been scrapped and they were gonna hold the NL 4's instead?

From a personal POV, thats a shame. But from a financial POV that makes sense. The NL boys will ride for the £10 a point required to make it work.

Don't see the issue here, it's ages away? Surely it's better to wait and work out a date when the best riders are available for their sides? Enjoyed the individual last year despite the poor format so would prefer that to the NL Fours. Think that would get more on the gate too.

I think even the NL riders will want more than £10 a point but still certainly less of a financial drain. Hopefully it will offer some NL exposure to those who don't view it very often (either by chance or location). Might even see some P'boro fans warm to the idea of having an additional NL team for the 2018 season?

I believe Peterborough have to come up with a date and submit it to the BSPA not the other way round,

I believe Peterborough have to come up with a date and submit it to the BSPA not the other way round,

Peterborough don't come up with a date, the EoES do. If it's the whole weekend then I'd not be surprised if that's where the problem could be.

I can assure you that Peterborough have to come up with a date and take it to the BSPA, Who they get it from the governing body don't really care, as long as they get one!

• Like 1

Peterborough don't come up with a date, the EoES do. If it's the whole weekend then I'd not be surprised if that's where the problem could be.

So do EoES make which dates are availlable for every fixture to the speedway?

Yes they do, it is entirely up to the showground management as to which dates they will allow speedway . Panthers management have to adhere to what dates are given to them. When certain showground events take place even if it is a weekday event there is no guarantee that they will allow speedway on the sunday either side of the event. That is the biggest problem with the showground ,it might be a nice venue but speedway fixtures have to be fitted in to suit showground management unfortunately. I would love it if they could find a piece of land and build our own circuit but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

Yup.

Yes they do, it is entirely up to the showground management as to which dates they will allow speedway . Panthers management have to adhere to what dates are given to them. When certain showground events take place even if it is a weekday event there is no guarantee that they will allow speedway on the sunday either side of the event. That is the biggest problem with the showground ,it might be a nice venue but speedway fixtures have to be fitted in to suit showground management unfortunately. I would love it if they could find a piece of land and build our own circuit but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

sounds a bit like the 'too many chiefs' scenario,,,