British Speedway Forum
womble53

Rip Dennis Wallace Aka 'merlin'

While we only ever met a handful of times, Dennis was a friend who I loved to spend time chatting. It was often about speedway as you would expect but also just about life generally. After the first time I met him he invited me to stay at his and I just took it as someone being polite. After that every time we met he would tell me if for not taking up the invite.

Without a shadow of a doubt he was one of the nicest, kindest and friendliest people I have ever met. It was a great honour to call Dennis a friend. He'll be missed by me and as I said we only met a handful of times so I can only begin to imagine how long the list of others who will also miss him must be. A truly great guy.

RIP Dennis.

Met Dennis several times during Lynn's PL days and I always found him to be friendly, knowledgeable and great company. Very sad to hear of his passing.

RIP.

• Like 2

On Facebook today (Caroline Watson aka Midnight Lady), I have been reading with great sadness of the passing this morning of an old friend, Dennis Wallace, better know to many on these pages, and those of the Monarchs Chatzone as 'Merlin'.

I first met Dennis through my travels with the Somerset Rebels, when he kindly provided board and lodgings to myself, and several other Rebels fans, on our trips for the Scottish tours. He was a wonderful host, and nothing was too much trouble for him, his breakfasts were legendary, and his home was our home. He would meet us at the airport, and whisk us away for trips around the area, and some wonderful Haggis lunches in various hostelries around Edinburgh.

Dennis was great company, witty, knowledgeable, smart and with a love of speedway, and in particular the Monarchs, which was plain for all to see. We all enjoyed many conversations about Speedway, and many other subjects, sat around the TV with a beer in hand. Not only did he open his home to visiting fans, he also provided a home for many of the riders, who raced for the Monarchs over the years, Cameron Woodward, Aaron Summers, Kalle Katajisto, and Max Dilger spring immediately to mind as recipients of his hospitality. I recall one occasion, when the late Emil Kramer was looking for a hotel for the night, to catch an early flight home the following morning, and Dennis immediately offered a room at Chez Wallace, with the offer of a lift to the airport in the morning. Emil didn't know Dennis at the time, but over a beer or two in front of the box, they talked about speedway and life, and they became firm friends. Suffice to say that wasn't the last time Emil sampled the Wallace hospitality.

There are many on here, who would have crossed verbal swords with Dennis, and been on the end of his sharp & quick wit, especially Tigers fans, and whether you agreed with his point of view or not, he was always interesting & entertaining in what he had to say.

Sadly Dennis suffered a stroke a few years ago, which affected him greatly, and I believe of late that he had suffered more strokes, which eventually led to his sad passing this morning. I for one feel privileged to have known him, and will miss his kind hospitality, impromptu tours, and ready wit.

My condolences go out to all his family & friends.

RIP Dennis

lovely words Womble53

RIP Merlin.

On Facebook today (Caroline Watson aka Midnight Lady), I have been reading with great sadness of the passing this morning of an old friend, Dennis Wallace, better know to many on these pages, and those of the Monarchs Chatzone as 'Merlin'.

I first met Dennis through my travels with the Somerset Rebels, when he kindly provided board and lodgings to myself, and several other Rebels fans, on our trips for the Scottish tours. He was a wonderful host, and nothing was too much trouble for him, his breakfasts were legendary, and his home was our home. He would meet us at the airport, and whisk us away for trips around the area, and some wonderful Haggis lunches in various hostelries around Edinburgh.

Dennis was great company, witty, knowledgeable, smart and with a love of speedway, and in particular the Monarchs, which was plain for all to see. We all enjoyed many conversations about Speedway, and many other subjects, sat around the TV with a beer in hand. Not only did he open his home to visiting fans, he also provided a home for many of the riders, who raced for the Monarchs over the years, Cameron Woodward, Aaron Summers, Kalle Katajisto, and Max Dilger spring immediately to mind as recipients of his hospitality. I recall one occasion, when the late Emil Kramer was looking for a hotel for the night, to catch an early flight home the following morning, and Dennis immediately offered a room at Chez Wallace, with the offer of a lift to the airport in the morning. Emil didn't know Dennis at the time, but over a beer or two in front of the box, they talked about speedway and life, and they became firm friends. Suffice to say that wasn't the last time Emil sampled the Wallace hospitality.

There are many on here, who would have crossed verbal swords with Dennis, and been on the end of his sharp & quick wit, especially Tigers fans, and whether you agreed with his point of view or not, he was always interesting & entertaining in what he had to say.

Sadly Dennis suffered a stroke a few years ago, which affected him greatly, and I believe of late that he had suffered more strokes, which eventually led to his sad passing this morning. I for one feel privileged to have known him, and will miss his kind hospitality, impromptu tours, and ready wit.

My condolences go out to all his family & friends.

RIP Dennis

A fitting tribute womble 53. :t:

Like yourself I became really good friends with Mr Wallace on my trips to Armadale when the Brummies rode there on the Northern Tour.A very kind,warm hearted fellow,who made you feel so welcome in his home City of Edinburgh.Despite having Monarch riders residing with him,there was always the offer of accomodation,a trip to the tourist sights in Scotlands Capital City,a bowl of home-made soup,and a visit to the prize winning haggis suppliers.It was the highlight of the speedway season for myself!!

I'd also make the trip up to visit him outside of the speedway season when the 6 Nations Rugby was held in Edinburgh.Remember well introducing my partner to him,when we took him for a meal locally,and he insisted on paying the bill!! :nono:

I'll never forget that night at Perry Barr when Mr Wallace and the gang wore dreadlock wigs for the PL Trophy Final in 2008.One of the most hilarious sights I've ever seen at a speedway track!! :rofl:

I knew that the last few years had been very difficult for himself,his family and his close speedway friends(namely Midnight Lady,Davy H and Dekker).I'll never forget the call I had from Mr Wallaces' relative telling myself what had happened to him and things would never be the same again!

God Bless you Dennis,you really were a gentleman,and will be sadly missed by all who knew you.Farewell my friend.

Edited by bluejam
  • Like 3

I only found out the sad news after work today, after going for the weekly Thursday shopping including Speedway Star then sitting down at home to read it.

A lovely guy. It was great to see him at Armadale again in the last season or two when i was up for a Bandits meeting.

R.I.P Dennis

Well we said farewell to my friend Dennis today , a good turnout befitting such a nice man . Rest in peace Dennis

• Like 4