British Speedway Forum

2002 Wimbledon Revival And Other Happenings

Definitely NOT a waste of time gustix - just too many Wimbledon Threads covering the same thing. All of them are interesting - but they could probably all have been covered by one Thread.

I have enjoyed reading them though. :t:

I dont see what the problem is, if you are not interested in reading something dont bother it is that simple keep it going Gustix.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

Forwarded message:

:::::::

17434829_1326299824115879_61179327445688
Save Wimbledon Stadium Action Group
As The Dust Settles, Time For Reflection

After an incredibly emotional final Sunday night at Wimbledon Stadium, today sees us reflecting on what has and what still remains to unfold.

For so long, we were repeatedly told that the stadium wouldn't be closing, and that racing was set to continue unabated. The four of us never quite believed what appeared to be at best, an optimistic viewpoint.

Faced with the potential loss of so much more than just our Sunday evenings, the now infamous Merton Council meeting of November 2015, where they simply dismissed any questions of their singular blinkered approach, was the trigger for us to get involved in a determined way.

Since then, we have put our hearts and souls (and time and money) into fighting the plans. Along the way, we have faced some considerable and difficult challenges, but we have done so always with pride and dignity.

Even when we have received unwelcome and undeserved 'attention' from others simply for seeking to protect what we have, we have maintained our committent to the cause despite the provocations.

Of course Spedeworth's 'final' meeting is a watershed for us in our 15 month campaign, but it is by no means the end as far as we are concerned.

We still have outstanding the decision on our 44 page appeal for the listing of historic interest.

Being totally fair to Historic England and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, the document we submitted contained substantial 'new information' that previously unavailable, now had to be processed and considered.

The fact that we were able to unearth and submit so much new information in our appeal, that will now be formally considered for the first time, is a major achievement for our group. One of many.

Historic England have completed their assessment and have now forwarded their report to the Department of Culture, Media and Sport.

Whatever happens, as long as the stadium still stands we aim to continue the campaign.

Michael, Peter, Dave and Graham, your team of campaigners.

Pic: Thanks to Tom Berry

Edited by Guest

Definitely NOT a waste of time gustix - just too many Wimbledon Threads covering the same thing. All of them are interesting - but they could probably all have been covered by one Thread.

I have enjoyed reading them though. :t:

I know the two alternative threads to which you refer - and to which I contributed. I have ceased this activity on them.

One thread has already dropped from view on the thread where it was appearing. The other has fallen near to the bottom of its list of active threads and should also disappear in a matter of days IMO from that list.

For my part, any future happenings that involve Wimbledon and appear worthy of attention will only be carried in this thread. And it is on this thread that I am certain others still interested in Wimbledon Speedway/Stadium happenings will make their opinions known.

Edited by Guest

I know the two alternative threads to which you refer - and to which I contributed. I have ceased this activity on them.

One thread has already dropped from view on the thread where it was appearing. The other has fallen near to the bottom of its list of active threads and should also disappear in a matter of days IMO from that list.

For my part, any future happenings that involve Wimbledon and appear worthy of attention will only be carried in this thread. And it is on this thread that I am certain others still interested in Wimbledon Speedway/Stadium happenings will make their opinions known.

Spot on gustix. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

I look forward to reading more interesting stuff about the 'Dons' in days gone by. As Sid says - "keep it going". :t:

Edited by The White Knight

Excuse my ignorance on this,but what is to be achieved from getting the stadium listed as an historic building?

Ok,i can understand that it then can't be pulled down,but surely there needs to be someone who actually wants to fund its restoration?That is going to cost a packet.Or does the funds come from the government for this?And even if the stadium is restored,would it be a full scale restoration or just the fascade and what is within could be used for something other than sport to help fund the restoration?

I am just wondering whether just listing the stadium doesn't neccesarily mean any sport or at least none of those associated with the stadium will continue.That all depends surely on who takes over the stadium and whether any promoters can come up with what will probably be raised rents to pay for the place etc.

Sounds great that the place could be saved,but could it end up being too expensive to restore and then end up being used for dogs and stock cars?

Spot on gustix. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

I look forward to reading more interesting stuff about the 'Dons' in days gone by. As Sid says - "keep it going". :t:

But on the relevant thread of course.Especially as gustix is asking for BSF users to keep some of his threads on theme elsewhere ;)

Edited by iris123

Excuse my ignorance on this,but what is to be achieved from getting the stadium listed as an historic building?

Ok,i can understand that it then can't be pulled down,but surely there needs to be someone who actually wants to fund its restoration?That is going to cost a packet.Or does the funds come from the government for this?And even if the stadium is restored,would it be a full scale restoration or just the fascade and what is within could be used for something other than sport to help fund the restoration?

I am just wondering whether just listing the stadium doesn't neccesarily mean any sport or at least none of those associated with the stadium will continue.That all depends surely on who takes over the stadium and whether any promoters can come up with what will probably be raised rents to pay for the place etc.

Sounds great that the place could be saved,but could it end up being too expensive to restore and then end up being used for dogs and stock cars?

But on the relavant thread of course.Especially as gustix is asking for BSF users to keep some of his threads on theme elsewhere ;)

That should be a good thing. If Stocks and Dogs can run successfully - so could Speedway, surely?

That should be a good thing. If Stocks and Dogs can run successfully - so could Speedway, surely?

Would of course hope so.I am just wondering how this is supposed to pan out.Just listing the stadium doesn't save its sporting use does it?Can it still be turned into something else as long as the main part of the stadium is kept intact?

Would of course hope so.I am just wondering how this is supposed to pan out.Just listing the stadium doesn't save its sporting use does it?Can it still be turned into something else as long as the main part of the stadium is kept intact?

I must admit - I don't know about that.

Perhaps someone can help on this? It would be interesting to know the answers to those questions that you pose.

I must admit - I don't know about that.

Perhaps someone can help on this? It would be interesting to know the answers to those questions that you pose.

Just using the example of the beautiful Hoover Building in London,i see that it has now been turned into a Tesco's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Building

And of course there is the Battersea Power Station saga,where the fascade has been saved,but years and years of discussions on what the building will house

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Power_Station

Also just came to me,Arsenal Stadium,which is of course far more architecturally beautiful has also been redeveloped whilst keeping the some of the exterior and some parts of the stadium.Other parts though were demolished and it is not used for sporting events any more!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_Stadium

I am also no expert,but i think restoring an old stadium is far more expensive than building a new one.Plus you then have the added restrictions on what can and can't be done,once a building is listed

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

From my time working at the stadium, I know the place was loaded with asbestos. Whether this has been removed since I left in 2002, I do not know.

Just using the example of the beautiful Hoover Building in London,i see that it has now been turned into a Tesco's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Building

And of course there is the Battersea Power Station saga,where the fascade has been saved,but years and years of discussions on what the building will house

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Power_Station

Also just came to me,Arsenal Stadium,which is of course far more architecturally beautiful has also been redeveloped whilst keeping the some of the exterior and some parts of the stadium.Other parts though were demolished and it is not used for sporting events any more!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_Stadium

I am also no expert,but i think restoring an old stadium is far more expensive than building a new one.Plus you then have the added restrictions on what can and can't be done,once a building is listed

Good bit of research there iris123. :t::approve::)

17861808_1358779277494788_68543214548858

LAST CAR BOOT WEDNESDAY 12th APRIL AT WIMBLEDON STADIUM 1f61e.png Sellers from 7am. Come and enjoy the last event with us.

17861808_1358779277494788_68543214548858

LAST CAR BOOT WEDNESDAY 12th APRIL AT WIMBLEDON STADIUM 1f61e.png Sellers from 7am. Come and enjoy the last event with us.

Too late for me I'm afraid. :sad: :sad: ;):)

From my time working at the stadium, I know the place was loaded with asbestos. Whether this has been removed since I left in 2002, I do not know.

The roof is still intact and of asbestos.