British Speedway Forum

2002 Wimbledon Revival And Other Happenings

Keeping the name in the Speedway arena is useful in that Promoters, who may be looking for new venues, may be tempted to give said Track another go. If they are not aware of somewhere, or it's History, then they may not even consider Sunderland, Wimbledon or anywhere else.

It also demonstrates that there are folk in said area who already know about Speedway - even after a gap of over forty years.

It is probably a forlorn hope I know, but still worth doing.

​Just to clarify TWK: by 'over forty years' you mean Sunderland? Wimbledon only ceased for speedway at the end of the 2005 season.

​Just to clarify TWK: by 'over forty years' you mean Sunderland? Wimbledon only ceased for speedway at the end of the 2005 season.

Yes gustix - it was Sunderland that I was referring to in that comment. :t::)

Keeping the name in the Speedway arena is useful in that Promoters, who may be looking for new venues, may be tempted to give said Track another go. If they are not aware of somewhere, or it's History, then they may not even consider Sunderland, Wimbledon or anywhere else.

It also demonstrates that there are folk in said area who already know about Speedway - even after a gap of over forty years.

It is probably a forlorn hope I know, but still worth doing.

But there is absolutely no chance of giving thr Wimbledon track 'another go' as you put it.None.Probably more chance of getting a track in the High Beech area,which i am making a complete guess at,isn't as well built up as the area where Wimbledon raced

But there is absolutely no chance of giving thr Wimbledon track 'another go' as you put it.None.Probably more chance of getting a track in the High Beech area,which i am making a complete guess at,isn't as well built up as the area where Wimbledon raced

I just mentioned Wimbledon because we are on the Wimbledon Thread. Really I was expressing my view regarding somewhere like Sunderland.

The Stadium where Speedway took place at Sunderland in 1964, and from 1971 to 1974, is still there, still a fair distance from Housing and has been much improved over the intervening years.

That is why I think that keeping the name out there is important.

• Like 1

I just mentioned Wimbledon because we are on the Wimbledon Thread. Really I was expressing my view regarding somewhere like Sunderland.

The Stadium where Speedway took place at Sunderland in 1964, and from 1971 to 1974, is still there, still a fair distance from Housing and has been much improved over the intervening years.

That is why I think that keeping the name out there is important.

Yes and that is a sad situation.But totally different to Wimbledon,which this thread is about ;)

• Like 1

Yes and that is a sad situation.But totally different to Wimbledon,which this thread is about ;)

True - but I did get my plug in for Sunderland didn't I? :t:

• Like 2

I'm a lifelong Wimbledon fan, but I won't be going on monday. Made up teams don't do it for me. At least Boxall has ridden at plough lane, So I guess that's a slight connection.

You know, I would just like to echo the sentiments of iris and cityrebel.

I am a lifelong Dons fan. I was born into speedway (I am very much a speedway supporter in general), and I really was born into Wimbledon speedway. The fact that there is a team of individuals thrown together to "represent" my team sadly means nothing. If ever - and I know this will never happen - a WIMBLEDON team returns to the area, I will again become one of their biggest fans, even though I am 4000 miles away. Without a "team", and without somewhere to call "home", it is not WIMBLEDON.

The Dons really were a huge part of my life, and the memories I have of a lifetime of support means that they still are. A nice gesture perhaps, but a one-off like this has no place in my memories of Wimbledon.

Wimbledon is Huxley, Moore, Jansson, Wiltshire, and Burrows.

Wimbledon is the Pit-Bend Loonies (I was one).

Wimbledon is Ronnie Greene, Ken Tozer, Viv Harwood, Ken Archer, and the Lannings..

Wimbledon is parking down Blackshaw Rd.

Wimbledon is the sounds and smells while walking through the car park.

Wimbledon is Alan Graham and Epsom Coaches.

Wimbledon is the Internationale and the London Cup.

Wimbledon is eating Bowyer's steak and kidney pies in the grandstand.

Wimbledon is "Blaze Away" and the torchlight parade (there's one for the old 'uns...)

Wimbledon is all my scrapbooks, photos, and programmes.

Wimbledon is following the Dons to Hackney, Hull, Belle Vue, and Berwick.

Wimbledon is British League, National League, and Conference.

Wimbledon is Alf Jarrett, Eddie Toogood, Dave Fairbrother, and Alan Bowman.

Wimbledon is winning the KOC three years in a row, and giving up four 5-1's in the first four heats against Poole.

Wimbledon is taking the "special" from Tooting Broadway, and checking the line-up in the Evening News.

Wimbledon is the greatest thing that I knew, and the thing that now tears me apart.

Wimbledon is no more... :cry:

As I said, if a team comes back to the area, then yes, I will feel it is Wimbledon again, but as it stands at the moment - and has done for all these years...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 5

Lovely Post Steve.

Written with love and passion. Thank you for that.

It reminded me of what Speedway supporting is all about.

Well I respect what some others have said - and Chunky, thank you for a wonderful list of great memories that I share (apart from the trip to Berwick, which I never made) - but I am planning to go to Kent tomorrow. Of course it's not really Wimbledon but to see a team take to the track with the red & yellow star colours still means something to me, brings back good memories and adds an element of 'ownership' to my attendance that I can't get from watching other meetings as a neutral. Each to their own of course.

Wimbledon is

Can I add ... the grandstand lights being turned off as the machines revved at the starting tapes.

John

Well I respect what some others have said - and Chunky, thank you for a wonderful list of great memories that I share (apart from the trip to Berwick, which I never made) - but I am planning to go to Kent tomorrow. Of course it's not really Wimbledon but to see a team take to the track with the red & yellow star colours still means something to me, brings back good memories and adds an element of 'ownership' to my attendance that I can't get from watching other meetings as a neutral. Each to their own of course.

Can I add ... the grandstand lights being turned off as the machines revved at the starting tapes.

John

I certainly get what you are saying, and I will admit, a yellow star on a red background is my absolute fave symbol! Here in the US, we have a burger chain called Hardee's, and that is their symbol! Thing is, I can't get my head round the "team" claim, when it isn't a team. Of course, we will ALWAYS have our memories...

As far as the grandstand lights being turned off, there are a hundred more things I could have listed!

"With a 2-4-6-8..."

Mrs Dorothy Charles Batson

Dumping bags of sawdust on the track and riders donning overalls.

Terry Mussett demolishing the entire 1st and 2nd bend fence.

Decorating the coaches (that was one of my jobs).

The St. John's Ambulance collection.

Mick Hines smacking Steve Koppe.

Those wonderful "bitter cherry" and "bitter orange" sweets (Trebor?) from the kiosk between the 1st and 2nd bends.

Stella and Ernie Middleton, Vera and Ernie Day, and the entire Chaplin clan.

Hanging over the pits wall.

Johnsy beating PC twice on his way to a maximum.

Trudging out of the stadium after the meeting being called off after six heats.

Playing darts for Wimbledon 'B' during the close season.

The two-minute klaxon.

"Hedgehopper", "Slim Jim", and Mike "Zoomer" Coomber.

Spending the night at Watford Gap (coming back from Belle Vue) because of a noise the coach was making. Steve Hickmott and a couple of others had stolen a road sign, and left it under the seat, and we had all forgotten about it!

Steve

• Like 3

From memory it wasn't just anyone out there putting the sawdust down,but Maido himself pulling the bags out of the tractor and spreading it around.Got to take my hat off to him for that

I certainly get what you are saying, and I will admit, a yellow star on a red background is my absolute fave symbol! Here in the US, we have a burger chain called Hardee's, and that is their symbol! Thing is, I can't get my head round the "team" claim, when it isn't a team. Of course, we will ALWAYS have our memories...

As far as the grandstand lights being turned off, there are a hundred more things I could have listed!

"With a 2-4-6-8..."

Mrs Dorothy Charles Batson

Terry Mussett demolishing the entire 1st and 2nd bend fence.

Decorating the coaches (that was one of my jobs).

The St. John's Ambulance collection.

Mick Hines smacking Steve Koppe.

Those wonderful "bitter cherry" and "bitter orange" sweets (Trebor?) from the kiosk between the 1st and 2nd bends.

Stella and Ernie Middleton, Vera and Ernie Day, and the entire Chaplin clan.

Hanging over the pits wall.

Johnsy beating PC twice on his way to a maximum.

Trudging out of the stadium after the meeting being called off after six heats.

Playing darts for Wimbledon 'B' during the close season.

The two-minute klaxon.

"Hedgehopper", "Slim Jim", and Mike "Zoomer" Coomber.

Spending the night at Watford Gap (coming back from Belle Vue) because of a noise the coach was making. Steve Hickmott and a couple of others had stolen a road sign, and left it under the seat, and we had all forgotten about it!

Steve

Fantastic memories Steve, this brings back those fabulous Thursday (and later Wednesday) nights very vividly. I also recall the ticket sellers calling out 'Riders' Aid Fund - get your lucky numbers ...'

And yes, I remember those 'bitter' sweets that you didn't seem to get anywhere else. Looking back, what a luxury to have crowd levels that justified staffing all of those separate bars, catering & confectionery outlets around the stadium! I guess when I started going in 1967 the average crowd was still around the 5,000 mark? Much reduced from the previous heyday of course, but any club would kill for such attendances now ....

Fantastic memories Steve, this brings back those fabulous Thursday (and later Wednesday) nights very vividly. I also recall the ticket sellers calling out 'Riders' Aid Fund - get your lucky numbers ...'

And yes, I remember those 'bitter' sweets that you didn't seem to get anywhere else. Looking back, what a luxury to have crowd levels that justified staffing all of those separate bars, catering & confectionery outlets around the stadium! I guess when I started going in 1967 the average crowd was still around the 5,000 mark? Much reduced from the previous heyday of course, but any club would kill for such attendances now ....

Too true, sadly.