British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

How Many Riders Have Switched To Leather Race Suits For 2017 Season

Over here in The States (and coming from the Flat Track discipline) Leathers are regaining their place as the norm. Some riders on short (really short tracks) or TT's wear MX gear; but, anything over 3/8-Mile and you'll see the Leathers unpacked. Many of the "old School" riders (age, mostly - :) ) wear their leathers regardless of track configuration or size. I, my self, have made the switch, as a matter of fact, to "all leathers all the time" for 2017 (although, I'm just a regional amateur). LOL.

The current Professional Flat Track series (now called American Flat Track) actually mandates leathers this year. I think (and this is just my opinion) that they're mandating the leathers in an effort to establish product identity.

As for Speedway . . . all I can watch are the GPs, and I see riders go down and stand up showing skin - their kevlars seem inadequately thin - and wondered why they don't wear leathers.

HB

• Like 1

I dont even know when Kevlars become the "norm". Was it rule change, or was it some fashion that did the change.??

Are they lighter, stronger, more protective then leathers??

I can remember the days of all black (mostly, the odd blue or red), and was happy to see coloured leathers come into "fashion" - great stuff.

• Like 3

I dont even know when Kevlars become the "norm". Was it rule change, or was it some fashion that did the change.??

I can remember the days of all black (mostly, the odd blue or red), and was happy to see coloured leathers come into "fashion" - great stuff.

Kevlars are machine washable, so are easier to deal with, leathers are more protective.

the Ipswich kevlar team suits are nothing short of an abomination

each to his own - I think they look great!
  • Like 4

each to his own - I think they look great!

Agreed. Who makes them? I can see a company design of a skull & crossbones inside a spade? Except for Newman's who looks likes he went to JC Pro (Dugards) ?

• Like 1

Agreed. Who makes them? I can see a company design of a skull & crossbones inside a spade? Except for Newman's who looks likes he went to JC Pro (Dugards) ?

you are correct re Newman.

The other 6 all from PRS (Polish I believe)

• Like 1

Kevlar suits mostly protect against abrasion and burning - riders wear an 'armour suit' underneath to protect against impacts. I was told that the reason why the full kevlar suit was mandatory a couple of years ago was that a young girl crashed (in grassrack, I think) and was burned when the exhaust melted the nylon part of the suit into her skin.

Kevlar suits mostly protect against abrasion and burning - riders wear an 'armour suit' underneath to protect against impacts. I was told that the reason why the full kevlar suit was mandatory a couple of years ago was that a young girl crashed (in grassrack, I think) and was burned when the exhaust melted the nylon part of the suit into her skin.

She was called Jason Crump, grasstrack was speedway and exhaust was spinning back tire with his bicep between the tire and mudguard... end result is the same and those chequered nylon suits are practically history.

Who designed them, Gavan ? :rofl:

I remember Erik Gundersen riding in some sort of lightweight racing suit back in the mid 80's, I think he had them new for a Bradford World Final, white in colour, no idea what they were made of but apparently they weighed next to nothing and Erik reckoned it would give him more speed. I don't know if Kevlar had been invented back then.

I remember Erik Gundersen riding in some sort of lightweight racing suit back in the mid 80's, I think he had them new for a Bradford World Final, white in colour, no idea what they were made of but apparently they weighed next to nothing and Erik reckoned it would give him more speed. I don't know if Kevlar had been invented back then.

They were leather but very thin and just for that meeting.

I remember Briggo riding butt naked back in the 70s.Couldn't get more lightweight than that!!!!

• Like 2