British Speedway Forum
SCB

The 4 Hours Speedway Meeting....

Completely agree, but I don't see things changing.

15 heats would be VFM for me if most of them were exciting rather than the majority being processional.

• Like 4

I'd also question the attitude of young modern riders i get the feeling most wont travel for 3 heats at the end of a meeting. Theres a distinct lack of putting yourself out IMO

Nonsense - riders go enormous distances, paying themselves: no expenses or sponsorship for amateurs. We will be going down to Plymouth for SDL matches this year.

• Like 1

Why would any rider want to do a second half when they can ride in the NL the next night for Cradley and get £40 a point?!

That's what killed the second half, not Poland!

Why would any rider want to do a second half when they can ride in the NL the next night for Cradley and get £40 a point?!

That's what killed the second half, not Poland!

Blimey! Is that what they're on?

...and they should be considering their commitment to the people who pay their wages...the fans!

I was a great fan of the second halves. 15 heats of racing does not represent good value for money in my opinion.

On your first point, I have never been convinced that the needs and wishes of fans are put first and last every time and they most certainly should be.

I agree with GB on the second, though. 7 or 8 heats of good racing out of 15 are value for money.

The overall experience, however, can be damaged if the meeting is subject to unenforced delay. No matter how good it is, we will all have second thoughts about going if we are made to stand around in the freezing cold for an absolutely unnecessary interval.

• Like 2

Completely agree, but I don't see things changing.

15 heats would be VFM for me if most of them were exciting rather than the majority being processional.

Apparently there were some who couldn't stomach all 15 heats of a free event at Sheffield last night.

On your first point, I have never been convinced that the needs and wishes of fans are put first and last every time and they most certainly should be.

I agree with GB on the second, though. 7 or 8 heats of good racing out of 15 are value for money.

The overall experience, however, can be damaged if the meeting is subject to unenforced delay. No matter how good it is, we will all have second thoughts about going if we are made to stand around in the freezing cold for an absolutely unnecessary interval.

I would agree if you one can be guaranteed 7 or 8 heats of good racing! From personal experience following the sport for over thirty years that was often lacking...and depended on any particular track on whether it encouraged good racing or not.

During my days of following the sport the second half often proved more entertaining sometimes than the main match (I was fortunate in following Oxford when we had the kids of Eastbourne & Peterborough riding in the second half)

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Blimey! Is that what they're on?

Its a figure I heard some top NL boys were on a few seasons ago.

One or two could learn a lesson from Edinburgh.

22 heats tonight in just over 2 hours. Some decent racing - especially the final - and although the presentation is a bit bland, at least they know their stuff.

• Like 1

The start was delayed but while Lambert was on parade we were treated to an RAF Marham flyby with 6 Tornado GR4's flanking the A330 Voyager (Air to Air Refueller).

All part of the show I'd say :lol:

That much of cost a small fortune to arrange for the flyby 😀

Belle Vue are very quick with meetings, 90mins tops with one Colts match last year being run in under an hour.

Buster does seem to take an age with meetings but after the U21 farce I thought he'd do everything to prevent this and keep the fans happy.

Guess not. Great shame.

He's more concerned about keeping people hanging about when nothing is happening in the hope that they will then spend more in the bars/snack kiosks!

Been to a few 'multi-hour' meets, not due to many race related delays like crashes but everyone just taking their sweet time, most often afternoon World Champs Qualy meets which literally did go on forever. Been to Scunny when they rattled through 70-odd amateur races in 4 hours....

Edited by Martin Mauger

How a meeting should be run.

Rye House tonight started at 7 and finished approx 8.40, 1 hour 40 mins for 15 heats, well done.

Edit

Leicester meeting tonight 7.30 - 9.30 2 hours

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

Leicester meeting tonight 7.30 - 9.30 2 hours.

That's not bad at all as no match should take longer than 2 hours, barring any delays due to accidents. I noticed that the Leicester meeting ran at a steady speed and there was only a 10 minute interval thank goodness as it was bitterly cold. Thanks to Margaret Vardy and all concerned.

How a meeting should be run.

Rye House tonight started at 7 and finished approx 8.40, 1 hour 40 mins for 15 heats, well done.

Edit

Leicester meeting tonight 7.30 - 9.30 2 hours

And about 5/10 minute interval, no time to buy a cuppa and have a chat ....