British Speedway Forum
SCB

The Delayed Start.

Parade 7.30 - Tapes-Up 7.45

Thanks Danny. Very helpful.

Now, if I miss the first race, I only have myself to blame

I hate unnecessarily delayed or drawn out meetings.

I kind of got use to it but then I went to the Shane Parker farewell at Sheffield and actually noticed how quick and we'll run it was.

I spoke with The Aces promotion and whether they listened to me or not meetings are run very well at Belle Vue time wise.

I don't mind a delay if there's been a crash, the lads can take as long as they need but just waiting around without any explanation does my head in.

It's a little thing that goes a long way and doesn't cost them anything.

The other thing with early finishes now at the NSS is you can stay for the MDL or rider press conference and still get home at a reasonable time.

I never really enjoyed Bank Holiday morning starts at Cowley as meetings often used to drag on..at least in the evening it was clear to all if a meeting was running behind time. I used to prefer speedway under lights anyway but that's a different matter.

So it hasn't changed at all then, all this moaning for nothing. I had someone tell me that on the radio they quoted tapes up at 1930!

I can never understand why the promoters don't run the parade while the people are coming in. They usually wain until everyone's in, like at Peterborough a couple of weeks ago.

Been at Poole for a good Friday morning meeting still there at 2 o'clock day time speedway long drawn out affair after 11 o'clock start

• Like 1

I hate unnecessarily delayed or drawn out meetings.

I kind of got use to it but then I went to the Shane Parker farewell at Sheffield and actually noticed how quick and we'll run it was.

Sheffield do seem to whizz through the majority of their meetings, sometimes it is a bit of a culture shock if I go somewhere else where it's more drawn out. Of course people can't legislate for crashes, and I totally agree with sun breaks.

Any time I have been to meetings which had been delayed are mainly dew to the medics/doctor arriving late as they have to sign in and until everybody has signed in and the form has been given to the referee and checked off then only can he start the meeting think every rider, pit Marshall ,machine examiner, medical staff, clerk of the course has to be in position before a rider can take to the track and the meeting to begin there is a lot more paperwork involved than you think

I wasn't having a go at you personally but just making a general observation so I hope that no offence was taken.

PS That's the trouble with the written word...wish I could activate those smiley faces!

Same with the old Hyde Road Belle Vue...7pm on the dot!

start at 7 in the funfair racing go karts by 9 ,always a great day out the away fixture at Belle Vue

Then how come KL advertise a start-time of 7.30pm and not 7.45pm? Surely "start-time" is when the racing starts?

If you go-along to a football match (not often that I do... dull sport) and the start-time is 3pm, then it starts at 3pm not 3.15pm.

These little professional touches make a big difference.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 4

start at 7 in the funfair racing go karts by 9 ,always a great day out the away fixture at Belle Vue

Unfortunately the fun fair and zoo had closed down by the time I visited Hyde Road!

It really seems odd that anyone in the role of managing a meeting seems to have little or no consideration for the punter. Once in the stadium you are a captive audience and they treat those on the terraces with such contempt. Delays through crashes are acceptable but track grading every two races, riders gardening at the start, unsatisfactory start with riders going back to the pits just seems to piss everyone off but those on the track, the ref, the start Marshall, mechanics, Uncle Tom and all with none of them giving a fig. It is possible to run slick meetings and keep the action coming. Riders ready to go on track by lap three of the proceeding race, track grades every four races and not six or seven laps by the tractor, two/three is enough given the riding lines and cut out the interval of twenty minutes. Why when people are going back a forth during the meeting does anyone need twenty minutes to a buy a tea. It is worse when the interval is at heat 11 or 12 and with possibly no more than a maximum of six minutes of racing left, punters are still hanging on thirty or forty minutes later for heat 15. If those in charge got their act together then those youngsters waiting to practice after a meeting could actually be involved in some second half competitive racing and perhaps make it count such as the races be a qualification round leading to a final at say Belle Vue. As someone does has said on another thread, the admission price is not an issue but the delivery of the product is and it is still run as it was many years back. It will not change because those who run the sport do not want it to for some unfathomable reason.

• Like 3

Unfortunately the fun fair and zoo had closed down by the time I visited Hyde Road!

Dunno which was the bigger atraction at 'The Zoo'; the usually brilliant speedway or the almost essential fun fair afterwards, especially the go karts :t::party: ....

• Like 1

Dunno which was the bigger atraction at 'The Zoo'; the usually brilliant speedway or the almost essential fun fair afterwards, especially the go karts :t::party: ....

Used to be football in the afternoon for us ... then the speedway ... then the funfair and the rattling wooden roller coaster which these days would seem so tame

I'd say that most people do arrive at the track within plenty of time but then find themselves in a queue. Last Saturday at Leicester, a delayed start was announced because of the queue to get in. My mate was in it and he'd arrived within plenty of time under normal circumstances. In Leicester's case, you couldn't buy a ticket in the car park bar as in previous seasons, and there were also season ticket holders who were in the queue to pick up their tickets.

Maybe it's not last minute fans but possibly bad organisation?

• Like 1