British Speedway Forum

What went wrong is the sport is being run for the riders not the fans and the gap between the two is wider than ever , it's trying to be something it isn't like a poor mans F1 and it's roots are in the garden shed and as TWK said on another post it has lost its soul

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

What went wrong is the sport is being run for the riders not the fans and the gap between the two is wider than ever , it's trying to be something it isn't like a poor mans F1 and it's roots are in the garden shed and as TWK said on another post it has lost its sole

Steel or leather?

I think the SWC has shown that another issue we have is the tracks in the UK.

Tonight at Leszno will show another great Polish track, but in the UK we only have a handful of what I would call 'proper' racetracks - Peterborough, Somerset, Belle Vue, Sheffield (if it was prepared how it used to be years ago).

The Event 2 at Vastervik and the Race Off in the World Cup showed us that the thrilling, exciting core "heart" of speedway can still be offered up to fans and that could bring some back and new fans too if the BSPA find a way to move into the 21st century. Good tracks are at the centre of making racing more than processional.

The Event 2 at Vastervik and the Race Off in the World Cup showed us that the thrilling, exciting core "heart" of speedway can still be offered up to fans and that could bring some back and new fans too if the BSPA find a way to move into the 21st century. Good tracks are at the centre of making racing more than processional.

Making the best of current tracks would be a start, Poole and Kings Lynn used to be much better than they are now.

• Like 1

I think the SWC has shown that another issue we have is the tracks in the UK.

Tonight at Leszno will show another great Polish track, but in the UK we only have a handful of what I would call 'proper' racetracks - Peterborough, Somerset, Belle Vue, Sheffield (if it was prepared how it used to be years ago).

I agree ,what it shows is there is only a handful of British tracks that can cope with speed a pace of modern day speedway.Majority of GB tracks are to narrow in this regard,when a rider gets into trouble there is not enough room to correct errors compared with most Continental tracks,where you see as many mistakes but riders "getting away with it"because of track area to recover.There has been a lot of injuries again this season in GB. Would like to see a comparison of number of crashes and rider injuries between Continent and GB.
  • Like 1

Another example of how insular British speedway is, two Championship meetings were held last night and both suffered from riders missing due to SWC duties, in Newcastle's case two riders.

I agree ,what it shows is there is only a handful of British tracks that can cope with speed a pace of modern day speedway.

In tonight's WC Final, the British team appear to be slower than their rivals. Can the riders not cope, or do they have a collective bike problem?

In tonight's WC Final, the British team appear to be slower than their rivals. Can the riders not cope, or do they have a collective bike problem?

Cant cope would be my thoughts .

Cant cope would be my thoughts .

In my opinion - we are just not good enough.

End of!!!

• Like 3