British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aroundtheboards

Somerset V Swindon 21/4/17

Good informative post Naj, if Rohan does need to be replaced, who is out there to fill his boots. BTW I agree with your points re Starkey, Jake and Jan. As we all know it's very awkward with Rohan, he was fantastic last season , I don't get how he has apparently fallen so far. Not being there I not about to offer an opinion, can anyone give me an idea on what may have gone wrong for him.

I have no idea to be quite honest. Bjarne Pedersen maybe? An old favourite of Garry May but I'd have no idea what his average is and going on previous years I think his best is probably behind him. Other than that I'm really not sure especially now the Polish leagues are throwing their weight around blocking certain riders and calling the shots with their own Poles too.

I think Chris Holder is due to be missing for Kings Lynn next week which is a massive shame, but it's a big chance for Rohan to turn his season round although the stars still look good at the top end with Lambert and Batchelor to contend with.

As I have said in a previous post - Rohan was the same last year - he started very slowly for Swindon and was close to being dropped and then everything just clicked and he was on fire and winning races for fun. OK he wasn't Swindon's number 1 but if you drop him and he finds his form like last season, you will be kicking yourself! Keep the faith - he will improve.

I agree - however the biggest problem for Rohan is that his average is currently 9+ and looking like it will drop to 4+... a massive difference especially as the options to strengthen up once the averages change will be even less limited.

RR think you are spot on.

question who objected?

Rosco was interviewed and gave the impression it was nothing to do with him. However I'm not entirely sure I believe that - but at the same time the rule book says only RR in my eyes so that's what we had to stick to.

BSPA made a phone call just after 2 o'clock apparently.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 1

Barely any riders will meet their average because so many riders started the season on false averages. Everybody's starting points limit was 50.00 whereas the average will be about 42.00.

Jason Doyle for example started on 13.00+ and can only ever achieve a maximum of 12.00 if he wins every race :rolleyes:

At the moment I think only Hougaard's average is due to go up, maybe Jake Allen too. When we won the old premier league last year our total averages was only 47.00 so again, averages were bound to go down!

Granted and I know barely any will meet their average but they still need to be scoring their average i.e Rohan ideally needs to be scoring 8, Starke 6, Graversen realistic over 4 to make up for a weak top end. They aren't and those are the areas we are weakest. There aren't really any top end riders out there so we need squad depth so I believe at least two need changing. I hate to say it as they are good lads and have been good riders but you have to be ruthless sometimes.

Granted and I know barely any will meet their average but they still need to be scoring their average i.e Rohan ideally needs to be scoring 8, Starke 6, Graversen realistic over 4 to make up for a weak top end. They aren't and those are the areas we are weakest. There aren't really any top end riders out there so we need squad depth so I believe at least two need changing. I hate to say it as they are good lads and have been good riders but you have to be ruthless sometimes.

You've contradicted yourself. Your post makes no sense at all. You know they won't meet their average but they need to be scoring their average??? :blink:

Even if Tungate scores 8 he still hasn't met his average! And in 3 rides if Jan scores 4 like last night his average is 5.33.... well over what he started on for god sakes! As I said last night Starke was all over Bellego and Ellis when he fell and packed up when 2nd... IF he scored an extra 4 points his score of 5 doesn't look so bad then, we'd of won and everybody would of been happy. If only my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle though!

There's being ruthless and then there is being stupid!

Edited by Najjer

For me last night was one of the best EVER nights of racing, when its that good its worth every penny & the M5 traffic to get there!

• Like 8

Agree wth previous posters about the last 3 races. Heat 13 in particular was an absolute classic. Both riders giving each other racing room and a race that can only be described as a duel. A fierce battle from tapes to finish.

Bellego, as in previous visits to the OTA was superb. He was fast, spectacular and ruthless. His heat 14 pass, coming from third to first around the inside of bends one and two, was stunning. He did his team mate Ellis no favours in one heat, taking his partner right out to the fence and leaving him no room. Ellis was subsequently filled in and trailed in last. Nevertheless, Rossister would have been pleased with the speed Ellis showed in his 3 other races.

Somerset were unlucky to lose this one, and although Tungate is not firing at the moment, I can't see too many teams winning at the OTA.

The Robins will be well pleased with this win and they delighted their healthy following of fans.

No wonder you prefer Somerset to Swindon, can only compare this meeting to Cov-Swindon 10 years ago when Adams and Chryrsnaezeaxowski got a last heat 5-1 for a 46-44 victory. Superb entertainment last night, even the chips tasted nice. Good little set up down there. Will be back in August.

Bellego manofmatch again, great signing by Rosco.

It's a great sport. It's the rules that are farcical

Last time I was there a goat was wandering around the crowd near the start line!

Yeah a Rebels fan was telling us. Bizarre, cows in field behind us, then busy M5. Edited by beefy keefy

I haven't seen Tungate this season, but no way would I have Bjarne Pedersen over him.

He had some poor scores last year for Swindon, and I remember people calling for him to be replaced, but by the end of the year he was flying and was everyone's favourite guest.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Tungate this season, but no way would I have Bjarne Pedersen over him.

He had some poor scores last year for Swindon, and I remember people calling for him to be replaced, but by the end of the year he was flying and was everyone's favourite guest.

He was superb for us last year too throughout the whole year - he was in my opinion the main reason we won the league. Looked a shadow of himself so far though. He was pretty ruthless on track last year at times but has looked very tentivie so far.

For me last night was one of the best EVER nights of racing, when its that good its worth every penny & the M5 traffic to get there!

Hard to disagree with that. The racing last night was out of this world.

As I have said in a previous post - Rohan was the same last year - he started very slowly for Swindon and was close to being dropped and then everything just clicked and he was on fire and winning races for fun. OK he wasn't Swindon's number 1 but if you drop him and he finds his form like last season, you will be kicking yourself! Keep the faith - he will improve.

Agree with you to a point Steve, I'd like to give him a go at 3, to try and regain his form, however the difference with last season is he had a chance to get form with us in the old Prem which he then took to the Elite. If the Rebs are to succeed we need him at least somewhere near double figures, as Naj pointed out 6 from 5 starts is no where near good enough. I remember getting burnt in this way when McGowan completely went off back in the day. As I said previously a very tricky decision for Gary.

I see Rye have snapped up Wells.

He was superb for us last year too throughout the whole year - he was in my opinion the main reason we won the league. Looked a shadow of himself so far though. He was pretty ruthless on track last year at times but has looked very tentivie so far.

Hard to disagree with that. The racing last night was out of this world.

Regarding your comments on Tungate, yes agree last year was a key figure. But if you look back over his career he as always been inconsistent, reminds me of KK, never know what your going to get. Very moody, when good very good

Gave up after 1 minute 10 seconds of gardening!

Yep. Thats why we need to stop this gardening lark. And the only way to stop that is stop spiking the starts, just roll the starts with big tractor tyres. Then if a rider delays the start he gets a fine or a penalty. Its the only way we are going to sort this problem.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Gave up after 1 minute 10 seconds of gardening![/quote

It was a good race but totally agree about the messing about

If Tungate was dropped then possibly replace Graversen as well with someone like Hume on a 2.00 and then you'd have around 11.00 left if there's anyone available.

For now I'd stick with the current team though, a shame that Tungate doesn't have the extra meetings for a Championship side to help but I'm sure he'll get going soon.

If Tungate was dropped then possibly replace Graversen as well with someone like Hume on a 2.00 and then you'd have around 11.00 left if there's anyone available.

For now I'd stick with the current team though, a shame that Tungate doesn't have the extra meetings for a Championship side to help but I'm sure he'll get going soon.

Polish match on Sunday is on TV so will be able to see how he goes there.

Edited by racers and royals