British Speedway Forum
RPNY

Rising Crowds This Season?

That's why the figures given by myself were clarified as estimates/guesstimates. A point you appear to have a problem understanding Steve Park.

Another Poster in this thread gave an estimate/guesstimate of 50,000 - far more than my estimate/guesstimate of 32,000 yet had no criticism made of his comment. Why target my lower figure? :icon_smile_clown:

And there are good reasons too why I am UNABLE to attend speedway - or any sports events for that matter - these days.

Mainly because I didn't see it.

And to resort to the :icon_smile_clown: icon towards me is hardly going to help your argument.

I've attended 12 matches this season and maybe, just maybe there was 1,000 at just the one of them (but I doubt there was 1,000 there, I say more like 800). Otherwise they range from about 350 to about 600 in the other 11. That's in the SGB Championship. Granted that was the week I was there and don't know what the attendance was like the week before or after, except in the 6 home matches I've attended, but it gives you a rough idea of attendances in that league.

All I'm saying is to know (roughly) how many are attending, is to be there (you might not be able to tell on the TV due to camera angles etc.) and do a rough head count yourself.

And there are good reasons too why I am UNABLE to attend speedway - or any sports events for that matter - these days.

Not really sure if there is a big difference in sitting in a restaurant,which you say you do on a weekly basis and sitting in a speedway stadium.Is it down to the quality of the seats?

Not really sure if there is a big difference in sitting in a restaurant,which you say you do on a weekly basis and sitting in a speedway stadium.Is it down to the quality of the seats?

Perhaps he's banned from speedway! :P:D

• Like 1

Perhaps he's banned from speedway! :P:D

​More nonsensical comments but I'll try to answer:

(1) iris123 - because of my age, and because the nearest tracks are at least 25 miles from where i live. I have to rely on public transport and using this late at night can sometimes prove to be rather daunting and possibly a safety risk.

(2) iris123 - the restaurant I attend - virtually on a daily basis - is because I would have to do my own meal preparation, with all the cooking involved, then the cleaning up afterwards. By using the restaurant I am absolved from those tasks and can also read several daily newspapers that are made available.

(3) Steve Park - more nonsensical drivel. I don't what I have done to upset him but I am far from being 'banned from speedway.' I am in regular contact with several promotions and have been for many years - they co-operate with me in regard to ensuring publicity for their tracks/teams both on forums like this and also on several FACEBOOK groups. :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Guest

(1) iris123 - because of my age, and because the nearest tracks are at least 25 miles from where i live. I have to rely on public transport and using this late at night can sometimes prove to be rather daunting and possibly a safety risk.

(2) iris123 - the restaurant I attend - virtually on a daily basis - is because I would have to do my own meal preparation, with all the cooking involved, then the cleaning up afterwards. By using the restaurant I am absolved from those tasks and can also read several daily newspapers that are made available.

(3) Steve Park - more nonsensical drivel. I don't what I have done to upset him but I am far from being 'banned from speedway.' I am in regular contact with several promotions and have been for many years - they co-operate with me in regard to ensuring publicity for their tracks/teams both on forums like this and also on several FACEBOOK groups. :icon_smile_clown:

So, again, the :icon_smile_clown: icon to back up your non-existent argument, choosing to totally ignore the :P and :D icons I posted, to show that it was a tongue in cheek comment and therefore not to be taken seriously. Well done.

I have given (rough) figures to the attendances of matches I've attended. By the end of the week (weather permitting) that figure of 12 matches attended will become 15. I will update on the approximate attendances at Scunthorpe and Ipswich after I've been, to, hopefully, help the thread. Something, unfortunately (and yes, I mean that in sincerity), you are unable to do.

Has it always been like this on the Speedway Forum? There seems to be a dwindling attendance on here as well as at speedway matches live. There is so much immediate, dismissive hostility on even the most innocent of topics. I had hoped that by asking an innocent ( i.e. no hidden agenda ) question I would get other fans opinions. A lot of these responses would result in a punch up down the pub, so do some posters on here project their more aggressive selves because there are no ( or almost no consequences ) and they can say what they want in the way they want ( and would not do in real life ?). Or is just sad reflection on modern life? And before someone else threatens to 'deck me", you really could almost knock me down with a feather.

So, again, the :icon_smile_clown: icon to back up your non-existent argument, choosing to totally ignore the :P and :D icons I posted, to show that it was a tongue in cheek comment and therefore not to be taken seriously. Well done.

I have given (rough) figures to the attendances of matches I've attended. By the end of the week (weather permitting) that figure of 12 matches attended will become 15. I will update on the approximate attendances at Scunthorpe and Ipswich after I've been, to, hopefully, help the thread. Something, unfortunately (and yes, I mean that in sincerity), you are unable to do.

Please do continue to post your estimates as some posters on here are interested. I can now only get to one track due to age and infirmity ( and that is due to the kindness of a fellow fan who gives me a lift ). It doesn't stop me having an interest in the bigger picture and an opion on the sport in general. Having been a fan at Norwich since the early 50's it is a hard habit to break away from ( like all habits ).

• Like 1

We are told time and time again how friendly and good natured speedway supporters are even to rivals so why is this "goodwill" not shown (with an occasional lift to the track) to a supporter who has difficulty attending his beloved sport? Instead he endures constant hostility.

I don't know gustix from Adam but I am sure someone will enlighten me with, no doubt, more hostility against him.

• Like 2

We are told time and time again how friendly and good natured speedway supporters are even to rivals so why is this "goodwill" not shown (with an occasional lift to the track) to a supporter who has difficulty attending his beloved sport? Instead he endures constant hostility.

I don't know gustix from Adam but I am sure someone will enlighten me with, no doubt, more hostility against him.

Well said Skid. :t::approve: :approve:

• Like 1

While everybody is guesstimating Attendances this season you can bet that you will be lucky if ANY TRACK has improved theirs on what they were a few seasons ago.

Ps

Possible exception Glasgow Tigers

Edited by Fromafar

While everybody is guesstimating Attendances this season you can bet that you will be lucky if ANY TRACK has improved theirs on what they were a few seasons ago.

Ps

Possible exception Glasgow Tigers

Redcar

Redcar

Redcar

Im talking about afew seasons ago.I can remember when Redcar had decent crowds even comparing to this season.

In other words, a figure plucked out of thin air.

I think, as has already (kind of) been suggested, you should actually visit some tracks and see with your own eyes how many people are actually attending speedway these days.

So by attending a meeting, you will come away with an accurate attendance figure?

What do you do, count them all? What about all the younger fans who generally spend the meeting on the move, how do you know if you've double or treble counted them - or missed them completely?

If attendances are in the range of 300 to 500, missing out or double counting 50 would be a large percentage error

You still talking tosh!

So by attending a meeting, you will come away with an accurate attendance figure?

What do you do, count them all? What about all the younger fans who generally spend the meeting on the move, how do you know if you've double or treble counted them - or missed them completely?

If attendances are in the range of 300 to 500, missing out or double counting 50 would be a large percentage error

You still talking tosh!

Where in my post do I use the word accurately? I don't. I said roughly....

Skid Sprocket............I don't know gustix from Adam but I am sure someone will enlighten me with, no doubt, more hostility against him.

Stick around and read his posts and you'll no doubt eventually realise why he gets these hostile responses.

• Like 1