British Speedway Forum
sussex bulldog

Eagles V Fen Tigers 06/05/2017

Eastbourne continue their run of Saturday night meetings at Arlington tomorrow (May 6) when they face Mildenhall in the National Trophy.

Nearly a fortnight ago, in the away match, the Suffolk side swamped the IT First Eagles and rattled up a 61-29 win.

Team manager Connor Dugard has named a full-strength team with his brother Kelsey set to resume in the No 2 berth, despite the battering he took last time out against Cradley when he fell heavily in a mid-meeting crash.

Connor Dugard said the match against Mildenhall was not about “revenge”.

He said: “We just had an off day there and we are determined to prove our critics wrong. The lads were back in the groove against Cradley and the aim is to build on that and keep moving forward.

“We are up for this and want to win the National Trophy.

“Everyone knows how important it is to win tomorrow and our two matches against Kent in the competition during the summer.”

Many eyes will be focused on both sides 15-year-old reserves: Eagles’ Tom Brennan and the Fen Tigers’ Jordan Jenkins.

Both have burst on to the speedway scene with great success in recent months with Brennan top scoring in all matches so far for the Eagles.

The meeting also sees the return to Arlington of Dan Halsey, who rode for the Eagles in Elite League days.

Eastbourne: Mark Baseby, Kelsey Dugard, Connor Coles, Mattie Bates, Georgie Wood, Charley Powell, Tom Brennan.

Mildenhall: Connor Mountain, Luke Ruddick, Jon Armstrong, Danno Verge, Dan Halsey, Sam Wood, Jordan Jenkins.

The meeting starts at Eastbourne’s Arlington Stadium, just off the A22 at Hailsham, at 7.30pm tomorrow, May 6

The eagles will need to get off to a strong start and take advantage of the fact that Mildenhall top 3 aren't the strongest at Eastbourne (mountain can be very good though)

The eagles will need to get off to a strong start and take advantage of the fact that Mildenhall top 3 aren't the strongest at Eastbourne (mountain can be very good though)

Eastbourne will need a good start seeing as this group could end up going to race points to split them.

OK, hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that, but we didn't need hindsight at trackside to ask why Tom Brennan didn't replace Charlie Powell in heats 11 and 14. Fairly sure that it would have been a more comfortable win had that been the case.

Have to be question marks on the future roles of both Kelsey Dugard and Charlie Powell at Eastbourne. Not the best of nights for Connor Coles either. Everyone is entitled to 'off night' every now and then though.

Jake knight was having a spin after the meeting tonight. Maybe a change is gonna come!

Edited by cityrebel

OK, hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that, but we didn't need hindsight at trackside to ask why Tom Brennan didn't replace Charlie Powell in heats 11 and 14. Fairly sure that it would have been a more comfortable win had that been the case.

Have to be question marks on the future roles of both Kelsey Dugard and Charlie Powell at Eastbourne. Not the best of nights for Connor Coles either. Everyone is entitled to 'off night' every now and then though.

It's not just about whether the win is comfortable or not, it's gifted Mildenhall a match point.

Dugard started well today and was looking good in the ride against Jenkins before he crashed. 2 exclusions of Powell were a bit unfair. My only real concern is Coles averaging around 0.8 in the championship and losing out to second strings and reserves at home. The trouble with suggesting knight to come back is it means a double change to the team and I am not sure that is right just yet.

Mildenhall got a point out of it because of the ref decisions and because Connor didn't make the correct choices in not putting Tom in ht14 and not having Georgie in Ht15 for Tom.

I thought Powell was harshly excluded but I also thought Luke Ruddick was - in fact, it was a bloody ridiculous decision.

I'd have put Brennan in heat 15. He'd ridden brilliantly up to that point.

Highlight was a stunning last bend heat 15 pass by Baseby. As good as you will see anywhere.

Dugard still needs to grow up. Starting on Jenkins was pathetic.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Coles is the weak link, hes nowhere near 7pt 3rd heatleader.

Mildenhall used Jenkins at every possible opportunity and had seven rides from him which they should do but Connor Dugard had three such opportunities to use Tom Brennan and used none of them. Brennan had Jenkins beat on the night 3-1, what a difference it would have made if they had used him in the same manner. I was amazed when Coles broke the tapes and Powell got the ride instead of Brennan.

The only excuse I could think of was that a re declaration was imminent with Kelsey and Charley having a last chance to see who survived and Connor wishing to give Charley a fair chance.

When I checked the averages though this cannot be so because Jake Knight +3.00 instead of Coles + Powell makes a total of 39.02 so near yet so far.

That's what I'm saying is if they were to redeclare with knight they would have to drop Dugard or Bates.. .. and I know for sure we dont want to drop Bates. Although it looks like change is needed in the heatleader spot I still wouldn't do it yet

That's what I'm saying is if they were to redeclare with knight they would have to drop Dugard or Bates.. .. and I know for sure we dont want to drop Bates. Although it looks like change is needed in the heatleader spot I still wouldn't do it yet

If they don't do it by the 20th of the month, new averages will kick in and with Brennan in the 8's or 9's it will be impossible to make the change. A re declaration other than like for like has to be at 39 points whilst we are already on 47, due of course to Tom. It has to be now or never while tom is still 3.

If they don't do it by the 20th of the month, new averages will kick in and with Brennan in the 8's or 9's it will be impossible to make the change. A re declaration other than like for like has to be at 39 points whilst we are already on 47, due of course to Tom. It has to be now or never while tom is still 3.

I guess so just wonder who you could get on 3 that would do a job