British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beowulf

Wolves V Swindon 22nd May

I told you all so!

Lack of interest??? Wolves ride as a team, not one person. That's why we are well clear at the top of the table. Freddie didn't appear on the parade and mention of an ankle or foot injury when he got out of shape in heat 13.

as a second string of reserve he might do okay.

That's what I heard too.

The kind of result i was half expecting. Swindon have been good on the road and proved that again tonight. Lord knows how as if you look at the scorechart the Robins were a 2 man team.

Crucially for Wolves we weren't at 100% tonight and mostly in reserve we got outscored paid 6 to paid 12 and that's where we lacked tonight.

The track was quick and grippy with some consistent fast times all night. Riss in particular struggled and had his best ride just before the regrading.

At the mid point it looked all over as far as a challenge goes for the Robins even after the tactical 2nd place for Doyle and when Rory made a super last to first in a breathtaking race in the 12th at 14 points clear the match was already won so how the Robins snuck a point is baffling. In truth it was all down to their top 2 who got them the point they deserved in the end.

It was actually great to watch a match and not text for a change too!!

WOLVES

FRED - class in the first 3 then got outsmarted in the 13th. 20 heats unbeaten at Monmore ended in that race. Hope his foot is ok. 4/5

KYLE - finished strong even tho he does make some heart stopping lunges towards the back straight fence at times. 3/5

RORY - Wolves top scorer and battled hard for those points, particularly heat 12. 3.5/5 MOTM

JACOB - a superb battle from a 15 metre handicap to 2nd within 2 laps against a useless Ellis/Bellego in heat 3 he wasn't quite as effective after that or as usual. 3.5/5

SAM - 3 superb wins including nullifying the tactical for Doyle in the 11th and then a stone last in the 13th. 4/5

MARK - heat 7 the only highlight. 1.5/5

NATHAN - certainly tried and took 2 3rd places from beating both reserves. 2/5

ROBINS

Doyle - saved his best till the last 2 races but was always going to bag plenty of points 4/5

RR - scored 3+1 which is about what I would have existed from BWD.

Ellis - saved his best race for his last heat but having out battled Rory on the opening bend virtually killing his challenge he wasn't quick enough to stop a surging Schlein fightback. A spell at reserve is probably what he needs. 1.5/5

Bellego - got better however nowhere near as effective as he has been so far this season. 2/5

Morris - highly impressive. Looks quick, put Freddie under pressure in the 6th. Superb back up for Doyle. 4.5/5

Gappmaier - did his job in the reserve heat but was nowhere after that. Did no different to what Grondal would have likely done. 1.5/5

Wajtknecht - scored in 3 of his heats. Job more than done. 2.5/5

I disagree on Gappmaier in the scheme of things his creditable four points really helped us get a point i could not see Grondal scoring 4 points not at Wolves anyway.

A decent enough result. Swindon's form at home and away seems to be identical!

Adding just a bit more to the league points, I really wish they would bring back the 2 points for a homewin of 6 or less. I've seen Swindon matches where the away side has snatched a point in the final heat and, as a home fan, you really couldn't care less.

Do any Wolves fans really care that Swindon scored a 5-1 in the last heat to get a point?

Good point for Swindon; well done to them. Doyle and Morris were very quick all night and there was just enough from the rest to gain some reward.
I'd be careful about the 'if only' line, mind. You wouldn't then have had the two points from the tactical and Lindgren would presumably have appeared in heat 15. That wouldn't be a guarantee of anything, of course (see heat 13!) but certainly would have lessened the likelihood of the 5-1 in the final race.
My feelings entirely.

Swindon scored an extra 2 from the tactical ride. That's just one extra point scored between the two riders mentioned, so it would have made a difference I'm sure.

With regards to Lindgren in heat 15 - well, Nick and Jason would have done him again! :)

• Like 2

It was a strange ending as we expected Fred and Jacob to ride and try and split Morris & Doyle.

Track was very fast, so fast that Fred managed to hurt himself when he & Morris had a battle in Heat 13. He sort of dragged his leg back as he went into the last corner. He didnt appear on the parade. Hope its precautionary.

Edited by superguest
  • Like 1

Well done to Swindon on an unexpected point. But can't help thinking they were let off the hook. !4 pt ups with 3 races to go, the meeting was over. However 2 x 5-1's made this match look quite close but somethings tells me it wasn't .

Doyle and Morris continue to impress.......

Well done to Swindon on an unexpected point. But can't help thinking they were let off the hook. !4 pt ups with 3 races to go, the meeting was over. However 2 x 5-1's made this match look quite close but somethings tells me it wasn't .

Doyle and Morris continue to impress.......

It was close. All 15 races count. They way Swindon's team is set up means all their strength is in heats 13 and 15, so we often get big points there. Are you saying the last 3 heats shouldn't count towards the score?

• Like 1

To be fair Schlein and Thorsell both had paid ten and the Freddie / Masters combo had been 5-1'd in heat thirteen.

Agree with earlier comments though, the three home points regardless of the winning margin thing is a shocker of a rule, they should have left it how it was ie the home team loses a point if the away team gains one.

I was a big fan of the original league point system, but unfortunately it was changed following a campaign by Jon Cook (Lakeside) after its second year. He said his home fans went home feeling like they had lost if they only got 2 league points which was bad for business.

It was close. All 15 races count. They way Swindon's team is set up means all their strength is in heats 13 and 15, so we often get big points there. Are you saying the last 3 heats shouldn't count towards the score?

No not at all, But had the scores been such, I have a feeling Freddie would have been riding had it mattered... Injured or not.....

No not at all, But had the scores been such, I have a feeling Freddie would have been riding had it mattered... Injured or not.....

Some are saying he was injured in heat 13, but maybe he would have ridden. If he didn't ride because Wolves had already won it's just further proof that the league points system of 3 for a home win regardless, is wrong.

Let's not forget he'd already been 5-1'd in heat 13 though.

• Like 1

Good point for Swindon; well done to them. Doyle and Morris were very quick all night and there was just enough from the rest to gain some reward.

I'd be careful about the 'if only' line, mind. You wouldn't then have had the two points from the tactical and Lindgren would presumably have appeared in heat 15. That wouldn't be a guarantee of anything, of course (see heat 13!) but certainly would have lessened the likelihood of the 5-1 in the final race.

My feelings entirely.

If Adam and David had got a few more points we would not have needed the TR, but that is how it goes sometimes. We will likely strengthen up by our next visit so it will be interesting to see how we do then.

Congratulations to Wolves though.

• Like 1

Never know why the aggregate bonus point was finished really.

Because it was nowhere near as good as the system that replaced it.. now partially ruined by the change made as others have alluded too.

To be fair Schlein and Thorsell both had paid ten and the Freddie / Masters combo had been 5-1'd in heat thirteen.

Thorssell was fine for Heat 15, but Schlein was never going to score in that race. He was a long, long way behind both Morris and Doyle in the earlier clashes.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

I was a big fan of the original league point system, but unfortunately it was changed following a campaign by Jon Cook (Lakeside) after its second year. He said his home fans went home feeling like they had lost if they only got 2 league points which was bad for business.

His team is not even in this league now so bring it back as then in many meetings there is a reason to put in effort to the end of heat 15.

when Rory made a super last to first in a breathtaking race in the 12th

Ellis - saved his best race for his last heat but having out battled Rory on the opening bend virtually killing his challenge he wasn't quick enough to stop a surging Schlein fightback. A spell at reserve is probably what he needs. 1.5/5

Whereas I thought Heat 12 summed up just how bad Ellis was. There was noting breathtaking about that race in all honesty, Schlein made a total hash of the first two turns before making his way past two junior riders. Ellis was then so utterly slow and inept he gave up a lead of 30 metres or so in a lap and a half as he tootled around the curb and allowed Schlein to simply ride by in the dirt on the outside without breaking sweat. He won with ease as well.

His team is not even in this league now so bring it back as then in many meetings there is a reason to put in effort to the end of heat 15.

CVS also agrees with the change citing fans complaining that a pt had been lost.

• Like 1

Never know why the aggregate bonus point was finished really.

Probably Jon Cook didn't like that either...... :t:

If only Swindon could get their act together at home they would be a force, as it is Wolves and Belle Vue look a bit ahead of every other team and then you have Rye House, Kings Lynn , Swindon and maybe Poole challenging for the last 2 spots

Shame what has happened with Ellis but obviously it isnt working out and perhaps a parting of the ways is the best way forward. A couple of changes and Swindon could guarantee a top 4 place.

Wolves continue to march on and look good favourites for the league right now. The only thing is that other teams like Lynn and Swindon havent really strengthened up yet and we all know its what team goes into the play offs in form is the biggest threat