British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Final (belle Vue) 19th June 2017

That doesn't give him the right to be "put in" to the final round of a championship because his van (or whatever) broke down before a qualifying round

Can you not see - it's a championship, there were qualifying stages, and Lambert failed to get through them - it's not an invitational open meeting to choose the "best riders" to take part

Although I don't like the idea of wildcards, I would accept seeding the top four Brits to the final, with 12 qualifying from semi-finals - but never "put in" a rider who has been eliminated in the way Lambert was

I'm interested to know the overall views on having heats 21/22 in this event (or 21-23 if there's two semis)

There's been support for the idea in the past on the forum (supposedly it's a tv thing, to build up to a climax at the end of the meeting) - would this have remained had Worrall, Schlein or Barker won heat 22 last night, thereby eliminating Cook from the GP wildcard spot?

I have always said that any meeting of 16 riders should be decided over 20 heats, top scorer the winner - although I'm very pleased Cook, the best rider, won the final last night, in some ways I was hoping he wouldn't, just to see the reaction on here!

Ahh, but that then leads to judgement, always controversial. Remember the Harris wildcards? Who are the top four - by average in the UK that year, or the previous year, or including overseas outings, or even at the previous years British Final. Nope, qualifiers for me every time, wildcards are usually only in place for commercial reasons and should discontinued if we consider it to be a fair to all.

There should only be 2 wildcards/seeds each year and 7 each from the qualifiers.

The U21 champion and reigning champion should be straight in the next year and the rest made to fight for it.

U21 has to go through if were pushing youth, didn't hear about the Bewley thing but that just shows how inept the BSPA are.

A really decent night a great night for Cook he deserved it the track was so good different lines for everyone to attack.Three incidents that stuck out for me were when Cook was really brutal on S.Worrall.Yet when S. Worrall and Lawson had chances to do the same to Cook they didnt maybe that is difference between winning and losing.?

No idea on that ,but it is the difference between being a rider who everybody likes ,and a rider who most people only tolerate

Sad see that Chapman apparently decided that Bewley, one of the programmed reserves, was too good and denied him the opportunity. He is 18, has been racing for a little over 12 months. A missed opportunity give an outstanding British prospect the chance learn from the experience of being part of a prestigious event.

This was absolutely ludicrous. Chapman should hang his head in shame.

How can Bewley (who was not even considered good enough to be put into the 32 for the British semi-finals) be "too good" to be a track reserve for the British Final?

(incidentally Jack Parkinson-Blackburn - highest NL average, even above Bewley - was OK to be track reserve for the British semi-final).

In any case, surely the point of having a track reserve is to replace an excluded/withdrawn rider and ensure that the remaining 3 riders are kept honest and not gifted a point without trying?

If you only want a track reserve to be miles away at the back out of contention, then there's no point in having him at all.

Is Chapman really telling us that he was worried that an 18-year-old with 1 season's experience, might score a point in the British Final and this would embarrass the sport?

Yet he doesn't see that putting an Australian in the BRITISH Final and having him stood on the rostrum actually is embarrassing the sport in Britain??

The lunatics are running the asylum.

• Like 3

Anyone got a link to where it's said Chapman/BSPA banned Bewley. I'm not disbelieving it, I'd prefer a source outside BSF.

• Like 1

The BSPA have control over it and have once again failed

The BSPA have control over everything, why the state of british speedway..

Ahh, but that then leads to judgement, always controversial. Remember the Harris wildcards? Who are the top four - by average in the UK that year, or the previous year, or including overseas outings, or even at the previous years British Final. Nope, qualifiers for me every time, wildcards are usually only in place for commercial reasons and should discontinued if we consider it to be a fair to all.

I didn't say I was in favour of wildcards - I've repeatedly stated on the forum my opposition to "choices"

What I said above was that I would accept them (if they have to be introduced to allow Lambert or whoever to gain free entry, in order to avoid "putting in" a rider who was unable to qualify for off-track reasons)

I stick with my own view that all qualification should be on-track, and that individual championships should be 20 heats (plus a run-off if needed)

If non-championship events decide to go the 20 heats + semi/s + final route, then so be it - but not a championship

• Like 1

Bewley was down as one of the reserves in the programme and he was present at the track. It was announced on the BV website yesterday that Mellish and Smith would be the reserves with no mention of Bewley. Obviously somebody decided yesterday that he couldn't ride. I am sure it wasn't anybody connected with Belle Vue, it was in their interests for him to gain the experience, so who was it? It had to be someone with the authority to make such a decision and common sense dictates that as Chapman was there he would have at least been consulted. As for the suggestion it would break a rule if Bewley rode,chapter and verse would be helpful.

Edited by Aces51

If the Bewley thing is true, that someone decided he couldnt be reserve last night, someone needs to come out and tell why, then face the music. Sounds crazy that youth is not being promoted. Yes I know Jack Smith got a ride, and good for him, but Bewley has greater potential from what I can gather at this point in time.

• Like 2

This was absolutely ludicrous. Chapman should hang his head in shame.

How can Bewley (who was not even considered good enough to be put into the 32 for the British semi-finals) be "too good" to be a track reserve for the British Final?

(incidentally Jack Parkinson-Blackburn - highest NL average, even above Bewley - was OK to be track reserve for the British semi-final).

In any case, surely the point of having a track reserve is to replace an excluded/withdrawn rider and ensure that the remaining 3 riders are kept honest and not gifted a point without trying?

If you only want a track reserve to be miles away at the back out of contention, then there's no point in having him at all.

Is Chapman really telling us that he was worried that an 18-year-old with 1 season's experience, might score a point in the British Final and this would embarrass the sport?

Yet he doesn't see that putting an Australian in the BRITISH Final and having him stood on the rostrum actually is embarrassing the sport in Britain??

The lunatics are running the asylum.

TBH .I cant imagine Bewley .really being that bothered . Him along with the rest of British speedway know full well he will be IN the British final next year , and at the rate he's progressing In with a good chance of winning it

It is common sense i agree and i feel we should have wildcards.

But this season there was no wildcards..........and the correct thing to do was stick to that and when riders dropped out those in the qualifiers were put in, and not somebody who hadnt done them.

Tho I'm a big fan of Robert Lambert I don't believe in wildcards full stop. If you fail to qualify for whatever reason tough! One of the reasons I stopped watching the GPs is because if your face fits you get a wildcard and you are in. If you are in the GPs you shouldn't be doing the GP challenge series. Then either at the end or the beginning of the following season the bottom seven in the GP race of in the final challenge with the top nine in the challenge to make up the fifteen GP regulars. That way you MIGHT get close to the top 15 in the world.

• Like 4

Thank you Aces51 for the clarification. As I said i didn't disbelieve, it was more a case of it being unbelievable. There again nothing surprises me any more when it comes to British speedway. It's amazing that it can actually stagger on with all the self inflicted holes in it's foot!

• Like 2

How does it work now for who will be the track reserves at the cardiff gp ?

I always thought it was

1st: Wild Card

2nd: Reserve #1

3rd: Reserve #2

But last year it was King, Cook, Lambert, yet Lambert and Worrall were the reserves.

Anyone got a link to where it's said Chapman/BSPA banned Bewley. I'm not disbelieving it, I'd prefer a source outside BSF.

It was said in the BT coverage apparently