British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

British Final (belle Vue) 19th June 2017

It was Pearson in commentary who said of Bewley "He was deemed too good a rider to be track reserve tonight".

Tatum replied "Was he?" and laughed.

(Tatum also didn't know the rule about being excluded for a second starting offence after receiving a warning - Tatum rarely seems clued up).

So it's Pearson you need to speak to about stating that Bewley was blocked for being too good. Or speak to the BSPA, as it was someone from the BSPA who told me that Bewley had been blocked at the last minute for being "too good". Pearson's comments merely agreed with what I was told.

It was indeed Pearson and i am indeed going mad

• Like 1

So if he was telling the truth, and I have no reason to doubt it, who the hell actually runs British Speedway?

Anyone with a suit, a clipboard, and if they can tell you which way round the track the bike goes. If they make up their own rules on the fly they get a raise.

I always thought it was

1st: Wild Card

2nd: Reserve #1

3rd: Reserve #2

But last year it was King, Cook, Lambert, yet Lambert and Worrall were the reserves.

A few years back the winner was Scott Nicholls . but as the BSPA like to make it up as they go along .he didn't get the wildcard ,

Bewley was down as one of the reserves in the programme and he was present at the track. It was announced on the BV website yesterday that Mellish and Smith would be the reserves with no mention of Bewley. Obviously somebody decided yesterday that he couldn't ride. I am sure it wasn't anybody connected with Belle Vue, it was in their interests for him to gain the experience, so who was it? It had to be someone with the authority to make such a decision and common sense dictates that as Chapman was there he would have at least been consulted. As for the suggestion it would break a rule if Bewley rode,chapter and verse would be helpful.

The decision to have Andy Mellish as one of the reserves rather than Dan Bewley was made before yesterday. On Friday night at the Colts match Andy was interviewed by Hayley Bromley during the meeting, and one subject discussed was his participation as a British Final reserve.

Don't have an issue with Lamberts omission nor Bewleys, for one horrible moment in the final I thought Cook & Worrall would get so concerned with each other that Barker would be at Cardiff. 5 eliminations would be good for a British Wildcard.

And I don't have a problem with Barker, generally, when I was a Brummies season ticket holder for several seasons he was probably the most entertaining rider at Perry Barr, as a visitor or home rider. But his time has been & passed.

Tho I'm a big fan of Robert Lambert I don't believe in wildcards full stop. If you fail to qualify for whatever reason tough! One of the reasons I stopped watching the GPs is because if your face fits you get a wildcard and you are in. If you are in the GPs you shouldn't be doing the GP challenge series. Then either at the end or the beginning of the following season the bottom seven in the GP race of in the final challenge with the top nine in the challenge to make up the fifteen GP regulars. That way you MIGHT get close to the top 15 in the world.

So you don't think this year's gp line up is close to being the top 15 in the world!?! Who do u have in mind as top 15 riders missing? Which rider would you seem to have got a wildcard because "their face fit" rather than merit?
  • Like 1

So was you hiding to with RPNYC. Ive already said it was a good meeting, clearly you only read what you want to read. And the best rider on the night won it..

havent got a clue on what your talking about

It is a competition but it is also a business and you need the top riders to make the meeting viable. I would seed the top 8 in the averages and then have one semi final to get the other 8 finalists. Seems to work quite well for the Grand Prix. If you want to increase the competition element, then rather than using averages, seed the top 8 in this years final through to next year's final.

It's roundabouts and swings . If you take the top 8 out of the semi's there are no big names left to pull the punters in to that meeting.

More to the point all the successful foreign riders that have ridden here- everyone from Holder to Ermolenko say one of the main reasons Brits are unsuccessful in the big time is that they have it too easy in their own country, compared with those who have to travel half way round the world to ride here and are not hungry enough. Unless they have to fight for every point they are never going to be internationally successful. The standard is low enough as it is without giving out free lunches.

Don't think Dan would bother about it as reserve ,probably enjoyed more watching it,Getting excited on here about nothing .yIMO

• Like 1

I thought it was Pearson who said it and not Tatum...and to be fair ro Tatum I don't think he realised Howarth had already had a warning..I think he does know that rule..but he thought it was for the tapes offence and not a second starting offence..

Tatum on several occasions quoted the warning system in use in GPs and said he thought it would be good to have it in GB speedway, so he obviously wasn't aware that it is currently in use.

As soon as they mentioned McGregor was ref I knew his stance on starting procedure and thought it highly likely a rider would be excluded at some point - to be honest I guessed it would be Garrity, as he did him 3 times in a recent Redcar match. Any rider under a warning who moves (delays start) again deserves all they receive form Mr McGregor and if a few more did the same we may get more efficient starts! Now just need McGregor to get his other decisions right and stop riders constantly returning to pits!!

• Like 2

I only got back off holiday yesterday and had recorded the meeting on my tivo box.

Having managed to avoid the result by avoiding social media I sat down to enjoy it last night.

As the riders lined up at tapes for the final the recording finished 😒

I didn't see any obvious delays during the meeting apart from a few unsatisfactory starts so did it overrun?

I found it on YouTube and watched it but not before inadvertently seeing the result so wasn't happy. Did anyone else have this issue?

If its true about Dan Bewley , then the sport in this country as finally hit rock bottom

Excellent chance to give one of British speedways top prospects some big meeting experience

the BSPA should hang their heads in shame

OR JUST HANG THEIR HEADS !

I only got back off holiday yesterday and had recorded the meeting on my tivo box.

Having managed to avoid the result by avoiding social media I sat down to enjoy it last night.

As the riders lined up at tapes for the final the recording finished

I didn't see any obvious delays during the meeting apart from a few unsatisfactory starts so did it overrun?

I found it on YouTube and watched it but not before inadvertently seeing the result so wasn't happy. Did anyone else have this issue?

When setting up recordings on Tivo you normally have the option when it senses it's a live event to extend your recording by up to three hours. These systems are controlled by the electronic programme guides and if that says the programme finishes at 9.30 then that's when the recording stops unless you've set up the over-run option.

When it comes to speedway I always use the full three hours. After all you can just delete it all afterwards if you don't need it.

The full meeting was also rerun last night at 8 pm.

Edited by Rob McCaffery

Seems to be if your on the sky platform it was ok but others needed the next program taped

Seems to be if your on the sky platform it was ok but others needed the next program taped

In think Sky manually adjust their epg for over-runs but Virgin do not. Just use the over-run facility I mentioned above.