British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield V Newcastle 8th June 2017

Match called off this morning due to "adverse weather conditions". It's now 3.45pm, the weather's fine and dry, the sun is out and there's a brisk drying wind. Looks like perfect weather for speedway and the Met Office forecast is not predicting rain.

Does anyone agree with me that the policy of making early decisions about match abandonments is wrong more often than it's right?

I had hoped for an evening away from the wall-to-wall election coverage, but it looks as if I'll be stuck in front of the telly.

Think it's more to do with the damage the stock cars did curb stones were ripped out apparently and the bad weather up until yesterday so not enough dry time to get it sorted

• Like 1

Match called off this morning due to "adverse weather conditions". It's now 3.45pm, the weather's fine and dry, the sun is out and there's a brisk drying wind. Looks like perfect weather for speedway and the Met Office forecast is not predicting rain.

Does anyone agree with me that the policy of making early decisions about match abandonments is wrong more often than it's right?

I had hoped for an evening away from the wall-to-wall election coverage, but it looks as if I'll be stuck in front of the telly.

Me to was looking forward to tonight's meeting

Does seem like they are quick to call it off but slow to re arrange. Still no date for the match called off six weeks ago.

• Like 1

They can't win, though. If the forecast had been right, then people would have said "Yeah, but it was obvious it was never going to go ahead looking at the forecast." Also, you have to consider the visiting fans (of which I would have been one). The only thing they can go off is the forecast, which (on MetOffice website) said rain all day and not stopping until about 8pm. It's currently saying rain until about 5pm.

I'd rather it be called off early, than get there (or most of the way), to be told it's been called off.

Edited by Steve Park
  • Like 2

Good decision from an away fans perspective no fun travelling to a meeting wondering whether it will be on.

• Like 1

for goodness sake on come the moaners again.totally agree with steve park.damned if you do and damned if you don't.the forecast was for more rain showers around 7.00pm and even if the meeting was on, how much of an entertaining spectacle would it have been for the supporters?i would rather see the brilliant racing that we have seen over the past few weeks than see riders struggling to put on a show and risking their own safety.

• Like 1

Checked BBC weather forecast at 9.30 AM when called off, and did not seem too bad. Lets remember that a weather forecast, is a forecast, not a guarantee. Also noticed that no match preview had gone on Tigers website and no mention of who would be guest at number 7 (can anyone tell me?). Makes me wonder how much the promotion wanted this match on tonight. Disappointed as looks a decent night tonight. Hope it is not re-arranged on some non Thursday when I have arranged something else. Well lets start the long wait for a re-arranged date.

On the plus side, at least it's not going to be another loss in the books. (For now.) ;)

• Like 1

Think it's more to do with the damage the stock cars did curb stones were ripped out apparently and the bad weather up until yesterday so not enough dry time to get it sorted

Plus, they wouldn't have been able to work on the track today until about 4.00pm.

Edited by Blackadder
  • Like 1

Promoters can't do right for doing wrong with call offs. It's a risk with early ones, especially if the weather ends up being nice in the evening, but then again 3 weeks ago people were standing outside/sitting in cars, not to mention had already paid to go in, for an hour whilst they kept "giving it 10 more minutes" before eventually giving up the ghost.

Checked BBC weather forecast at 9.30 AM when called off, and did not seem too bad. Lets remember that a weather forecast, is a forecast, not a guarantee. Also noticed that no match preview had gone on Tigers website and no mention of who would be guest at number 7 (can anyone tell me?). Makes me wonder how much the promotion wanted this match on tonight. Disappointed as looks a decent night tonight. Hope it is not re-arranged on some non Thursday when I have arranged something else. Well lets start the long wait for a re-arranged date.

James shanes was due to be at reserve

Perfect Call, it had been bad weather for 5 days, Stox been on at weekend and will have made the track poor and a forecast that had not looked good, would rather see a decent racetrack so the riders can attack it than a bumpy track with no passing

• Like 1

Don't the promotors/organisers of the Stock cars have a responsibility/obligation to put things right with the track once their event is finished? If my memory serves me correct there was an issue with a rut in the middle of the 3rd and 4th bends a few weeks ago, that was put down to a previous stock car meeting. There always seems to be issues when stock cars have been on!

After speedway the track staff are at it for hours after the finish sorting things, does that happen after the stock cars?

Shouldn't it be correct that if you hire something, then you return it in the same or similar state that you hired it?