British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Kent V Birmingham Mon 12th June

Yet another night of chaos at central park. Multiple re runs and crashes all add to the Kent kings experience!

Take out a few stupid moments it had some exceptional racing with plenty of genuine overtakes. Bacon and Davey looked classy, Carr just had one of them nights. Take away the hiss fit and Cupitt was worth far more then his points haul. And Roberts in particular seems to have made a big step forward speed wise.

I think that same team could on another evening get a result at kent.

Carr has a few of these nights when he doesn't gate.Imo

A few people have said that Carr didn't move when he good excluded for 2nd warning. So he may of been unlucky then.

The video of Cupitt being an absolute moron jumping the fence to approach a member of public is pretty amusing. Fair enough the crowd were heckling him but deserved, you slid off slow as anything..... and stayed down for a rerun, things like that should should come with bigger penalties IMO

Tbf the video is badly edited as well. The 30 seconds missing between the crash and him walking along the back straight would show why he was being heckled more clearly.

• Like 2

After last year's 14 heat fiasco this always had the capacity to be a bad tempered affair. Yet despite all that happened the Kent crowd still managed to give warm applause to Bacon and Davey.

I wouldn't disagree with any of the unsatisfactory starts - in each case the rider penalised was clearly moving. (So was Bacon in heat 15, but as it was 8.29 there was no time for a re-run). The trainee referee coped well with a tricky meeting, perhaps Stoneman was lucky to survive in heat 12 (- but all 4 was still a tenable decision).

I thought crowd should have been higher. Good to see Anders Rowe looking very solid.

And can I add that teaboy's updates were excellent - completely impartial when there were plenty of points at which a more partizan texter could have been tempted to tell a different story.

• Like 2

Yet another night of chaos at central park. Multiple re runs and crashes all add to the Kent kings experience!

I attended this meeting as a neutral. Would describe the speedway as 'Mickey Mouse'. From what I've seen of this development league (in its various guises) over the years, the racing was pretty much as I expected. As for Cupitt's antics: I once saw Andrew Silver do the same thing at Swindon, though having scaled the safety fence he actually reached the spectator who had offended him. Equally daft from Silver but (unlike Cupitt, on this evidence) at least he was a top quality rider, merely going through a bad patch.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

Thoroughly enjoyed last night some excellent racing on show and a little drama thrown in. I agree i thought the ref was excellent and got everything spot on (except perhaps the awarded heat 1 as i didn't think enough laps had been completed) but every rolling start was brought back as it should be.

Birmingham were clearly fired up which showed with a couple of over eager falls. Didn't agree with booing of Carr after his bike took off and he was understandably annoyed. Cupitt should have known better, went down at the back so no chance of all 4 back, looked up to see Davey 2nd and took his time. He knew what game he was playing so getting riled up by the fans & reacting was poor on is part but i suspect he will be poorer when a fine drops through his door.

Tom Bacon was class yet again & should take a bow regarding how to perform & behave like a professional.

From Kent Bowen was excellent, Hopwood, Thomas, Rowe & Andrews all did their job. I can see why Stoneman has been in the wars recently though, certainly no need to overtake Jack when they were already on a 5-1 and very fortunate with 2 hard attempts on Bacon in the rerun of heat 14.

Personally id watch a spectacle like this every week but i know there are very few meetings like this these days.

I remember seeing Billy Sanders guesting for Wimbledon at kings Lynn, getting heckled on the victory parade truck. His response was to jump over the safety fence, sort out the individual and jump back on the truck. Billy was not a rider to mess with.

Just read the match report on Kent's website. It describes Central Park as "packed". A crowd a tenth of capacity is packed? Eh?

Must have been a crowd of 700 plus last night which is pretty good going for NL side starting early on a Monday night. Sure plenty of clubs would be happy with that especially as there was a much smaller number of travelling Birmingham fans than usual.

Must have been a crowd of 700 plus last night which is pretty good going for NL side starting early on a Monday night. Sure plenty of clubs would be happy with that especially as there was a much smaller number of travelling Birmingham fans than usual.

Nowadays, sadly, circa 700 is a good crowd for most of the clubs in the bottom two divisions. But 700 fans in a stadium with a nominal capacity of 6,000 is not packed, by any stretch of the imagination.

I attended this meeting as a neutral. Would describe the speedway as 'Mickey Mouse'. From what I've seen of this development league (in its various guises) over the years, the racing was pretty much as I expected. As for Cupitt's antics: I once saw Andrew Silver do the same thing at Swindon, though having scaled the safety fence he actually reached the spectator who had offended him. Equally daft from Silver but (unlike Cupitt, on this evidence) at least he was a top quality rider, merely going through a bad patch.

Perhaps Cupitt is showing similar tendencies that we associate with his brother-in-law? I hope that official action will be taken against him. If this sort of thing happened in football the player would be facing a lengthy ban. I cannot say I am surprised - I had a mini fracas with Cupitt on Facebook about two years ago when one of his Posts came up on my News Feed which I answered and he rebuked me for doing that.

Nowadays, sadly, circa 700 is a good crowd for most of the clubs in the bottom two divisions. But 700 fans in a stadium with a nominal capacity of 6,000 is not packed, by any stretch of the imagination.

Do not take any notice of the meeting reports/crowd figures on the Kings Website.

It is always hyped up big time. :lol:

• Like 1

Do not take any notice of the meeting reports/crowd figures on the Kings Website.

It is always hyped up big time. :lol:

As a journalist for 30+ years, I found that report fairly amusing. Kent 'Hyperbole' Kings, anyone?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny