British Speedway Forum
mike7164

Redcar Vs Newcastle

I think we would have won at Peterborough anyway as Danny could have comfortably matched Shanes scores. Why? He was riding better than ever at the time of his injury ( upped his average from 1.8 to nearly 4.00). He's rode Peterborough loads, including last year's fours when he scored points against other team's heat leaders and second strings. He scored well in the under 21's against (supposedly) better reserves. His injury is hitting us harder than people give him credit for, since we could only replace him with a 2 pointer instead of someone nearer 4.00. True there are some places where he might only have scored 1 or 2. But there are others where, I believe, he would have scored 5 or 6 and that would have made a hell of a difference. We certainly would be more comfortable at home.

I respect your opinion, but who exactly do you think Phillips would have beaten, apart from possibly Bacon - and imo that is doubtful?

If he had risen above 2 point average he would have had to ride at no. 6 and therefore not had the easier rides against opposition's number 7, and most teams now have a decent first reserve (some have two decent reserves), we however have not even a moderate reserve!

• Like 1

Taken from the Newcastle website:

Team manager George English had to again look back at defeat, saying: "Again ultimately disappointing tonight. Why our form, especially away from Brough Park, is so patchy is something we cannot put our finger on, but the lads know if we don't start taking good points they those vital play-offs will get out of reach and with the side we have this year we deserve to qualify, but it's in their hands. They need to start winning away from home."

your George,s bum boy even you can see that a major shake up is required the play off,s are gone

It was obvious when Diamonds team was put together at the start of the season with Phillips a struggling 2 pointer and Coles with very limited experience at this level filling the reserve spaces that this alone would cause your team problems, the only other team to try similar idea was Ipswich . The difference is the 2 witches reserves who also were a gamble look to have a lot more potential . Your top 5 are fine but they can't carry the reserves every meeting . When any rider is injured and using R/R how many points are you going to get from your 2 reserves to compensate . I think you need to make 2 changes 1 reserve and 1 of your top 5 to get the balance right , then you could maybe bring in somebody at reserve with a bit more experience like Liam Carr and a new middle order rider. Your win at Peterborough wouldn't have happened without Shanes and there's the difference you had 1 decent reserve. Just for instance if you released Lindgren and Greenwood ,the you would be able to bring in Adam Ellis and Liam Carr which would bring team total to around 39.50 and you would have a better balanced team.

brilliant thought get George,s number and ring him.if he was a footie manager he would of been sacked years ago

Ben only needs to score 8 points from his 4 rides on Sunday, to get him on a 3.00 ave, (then get Carr) ;)

a don't think Adam Ellis would fix our team :(

I don't think he would score 8 points even if he took 7 rides.

I don't think he would score 8 points even if he took 7 rides.

Well,,, that plan might not work, yet ;)

• Like 1

Have to disagree, Don't think Phillips has ever scored 8 in a league match in his life, never mind comfortably.

6+2 from 4 against Ipswich including a retirement in heat 8 when he looped at the start, so effectively 6+2 from 3. His last match before his unfortunate injury.

In the fours he beat Dimitri Berge and J B Andersen. In the U21's Shanes scored 12 and Phillips 11, so not much difference there either.

But it's all conjecture really.

So now the morning after the night before.

Apologies to Redcar, should have praised them last night for a good solid team performance and job well done - you can only beat what's put in front of you and having accepted lambert and Worrall would be tough to beat they set about making sure they didn't finish behind any of the others and as the scoreline shows did the job well!

Taking the abject performance of 5 riders and a team manager away it wasn't a bad meeting - updates show a lot of races won "ftg" but in fairness 1st bends were usually close and the racing good. You are never going to get loads of passing when one side (L&W excepted) are so outclassed.

Only other minor gripe was getting wet - what was idea to hold interval just as shower started? that's a Havelock trick to get people in the bar! Did wonder before rerun of heat 10 when rain started if there would be a ploy to get match called off and test the new precedent of awarding matches ;)

Good summary :approve:

A lot of races were from the gate but there were still a few decent ones and some were very close.

I loathe intervals anyway but having one with rain threatening was just stupid. Keeping people standing around getting wet - aside from the fact that the meeting might have been abandoned - is just not on.

Insert programme at full price :angry: Its all very well saying why that is the case but its still an absolute rip off, particularly when the programme itself is for the Peterborough meeting.

Covering your costs by cheating your paying customers is hardly likely to make them come back.

Good summary :approve:

A lot of races were from the gate but there were still a few decent ones and some were very close.

I loathe intervals anyway but having one with rain threatening was just stupid. Keeping people standing around getting wet - aside from the fact that the meeting might have been abandoned - is just not on.

Insert programme at full price :angry: Its all very well saying why that is the case but its still an absolute rip off, particularly when the programme itself is for the Peterborough meeting.

Covering your costs by cheating your paying customers is hardly likely to make them come back.

Most track do it though. Why don't they offer the full programme + insert, if people want it, at the full price, or just the insert, for say, 50p (or whatever)?

Most track do it though. Why don't they offer the full programme + insert, if people want it, at the full price, or just the insert, for say, 50p (or whatever)?

That is true, Steve. That doesn't make it right, though.

I was told by a promoter that programmes have 100% mark up. That means you can sell them at half price and still breakeven and I can recall Debbie Hancock doing just that at Somerset the other year

I think your suggestion is spot on and that's half the problem. Pretty much all the time you don't know its an insert until you have bought the programme, so its not just a rip off its a con.

They should say that it is an insert at least.

To be fair the programme seller at Redcar did tell me it was an insert , Does not make it right , just the insert would have done for me.

As there was a collection ongoing thar could have been used as the bulk .

To be fair the programme seller at Redcar did tell me it was an insert , Does not make it right , just the insert would have done for me.

As there was a collection ongoing thar could have been used as the bulk .

Ironically, I don't fill in a programme, I print a sheet off the Speedway Plus Programme Generator site ( http://www.speedwayplus.com/programme_generator.shtml ) and fill that in, but, I always buy a programme.

Like you say, the lady selling the prog on Thursday did tell me it was an insert, giving people the opportunity to say "no thanks," but of course, you are left without filling the scores in anywhere!

I see Stevie has pulled out of todays meeting at Leicester, will he be fit for tomorrow?

That is true, Steve. That doesn't make it right, though.

I was told by a promoter that programmes have 100% mark up. That means you can sell them at half price and still breakeven and I can recall Debbie Hancock doing just that at Somerset the other year

I think your suggestion is spot on and that's half the problem. Pretty much all the time you don't know its an insert until you have bought the programme, so its not just a rip off its a con.

They should say that it is an insert at least.

They did when i bought ours on Thursday.