British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Isle Of Wight V Birmingham Tues 13th June

Whatever the case, the IOW promotion deserve far better.

Not to mention the people who not only paid at the gate, but may have paid for a hotel and did some long distance travelling, in the hope of seeing two competitive teams.

OK so the Brummies got a win, but in the circumstances it's about as hollow as that Sleepy place on the SyFy channel.

• Like 2

Without knowing what has gone on i have to say i feel for the IOW promotion, they have struggled all season to put there own 7 man Team out on Track, when finally the opportunity arises this Blows up, and they finish up with a 6 man Team, if ever there was a reason for "In the interests of British Speedway" its now, when we have a rider coming into a Team on a obviously to low average, obvious to everyone except the NL co-ordinator, then yet another experienced rider coming in on a lower average than when he last rode in the NL a few seasons ago, yet Harland Cook who last rode many seasons ago cant get a reduction at all, then something is obviously wrong, the NL as a whole, and the co-ordinator in particular have to accept some of the blame for the IOWs woes at the present time, i am told that they have spoken with around 50 riders to try and strengthen there Team but most are not interested for varying reasons in riding on the Island, but primarily i would guess its due to the geographical position.

I really hope that the IOW promotion could negotiate some way with Wightlink to have weekend racing, otherwise i feel that the tremendous work done by the promotion, the amazing work done by volunteers on an almost weekly basis to promote Speedway on the Island will be in vain, good luck to you guys you certainly deserve some.

• Like 5

Without knowing what has gone on i have to say i feel for the IOW promotion, they have struggled all season to put there own 7 man Team out on Track, when finally the opportunity arises this Blows up, and they finish up with a 6 man Team, if ever there was a reason for "In the interests of British Speedway" its now, when we have a rider coming into a Team on a obviously to low average, obvious to everyone except the NL co-ordinator, then yet another experienced rider coming in on a lower average than when he last rode in the NL a few seasons ago, yet Harland Cook who last rode many seasons ago cant get a reduction at all, then something is obviously wrong, the NL as a whole, and the co-ordinator in particular have to accept some of the blame for the IOWs woes at the present time, i am told that they have spoken with around 50 riders to try and strengthen there Team but most are not interested for varying reasons in riding on the Island, but primarily i would guess its due to the geographical position.

I really hope that the IOW promotion could negotiate some way with Wightlink to have weekend racing, otherwise i feel that the tremendous work done by the promotion, the amazing work done by volunteers on an almost weekly basis to promote Speedway on the Island will be in vain, good luck to you guys you certainly deserve some.

Completely agree :approve:

They have been shafted, big time. First with Cook not being allowed a reduction and then with Greaves being allowed to sign for another club with the same race night (something which Rob Godfrey had said could not happen).

Then we have the ridiculous, totally unexplained and totally unaccountable decisions to allow Paul Hurry to have a much reduced figure (despite the decision on Cook) and to permit Adam Roynon to come in on his PL average when regulations clearly state that his existing (and higher) NL average takes precedence (despite the Richard Hall decision last season).

Speedway's ability to make inconsistent, illegal and crooked decisions to suit some promotions but not others has always been in evidence. It seems to me, though, that this season they have exceeded themselves. Those complaining about the Redcar abandonment ruling should recognise that we know who made it, how and why they made it and that it is entirely within the discretion of the decision maker. There are light years between that and the above.

It might be me, but I can't but help think that the shabby way that IOW have been treated is at least in part down to the almost universal credit and praise they have received from fans since they opened at the beginning of last season, the sheer unbridled enthusiasm of Barry Bishop and Martin Widman and the efforts they have made to make their club a success by treating paying customers as paying customers.

As we all know only too well, there is an awful lot of vicious jealousy and spite within the ranks of the BSPA and newcomers showing everyone else precisely how to do it will not be viewed with warmth or pleasure.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 9

They have been shafted, big time. First with Cook not being allowed a reduction and then with Greaves being allowed to sign for another club with the same race night (something which Rob Godfrey had said could not happen).

Then we have the ridiculous, totally unexplained and totally unaccountable decisions to allow Paul Hurry to have a much reduced figure (despite the decision on Cook) and to permit Adam Roynon to come in on his PL average when regulations clearly state that his existing (and higher) NL average takes precedence (despite the Richard Hall decision last season).

Speedway's ability to make inconsistent, illegal and crooked decisions to suit some promotions but not others has always been in evidence. It seems to me, though, that this season they have exceeded themselves. Those complaining about the Redcar abandonment ruling should recognise that we know who made it, how and why they made it and that it is entirely within the discretion of the decision maker. There are light years between that and the above.

It might be me, but I can't but help think that the shabby way that IOW have been treated is at least in part down to the almost universal credit and praise they have received from fans since they opened at the beginning of last season, the sheer unbridled enthusiasm of Barry Bishop and Martin Widman and the efforts they have made to make their club a success by treating paying customers as paying customers.

As we all know only too well, there is an awful lot of vicious jealousy and spite within the ranks of the BSPA and newcomers showing everyone else precisely how to do it will not be viewed with warmth or pleasure.

One of the best posts I've ever read on this Forum. :t:

You are so right about divisions between promoters within the BSPA, and imho it is this, along with the lack of an independent overall governing body, that is slowly but surely killing the sport we all love.

As for the Govier situation, I suspect that his ' representative ' was his father. As a youngster he had a lot of talent on the grass, but now has far too high an opinion of himself and his shale abilities. He will be extraordinarily fortunate if he is kept on now by the Warriors.

More power to Barry and Martin. They deserve every success.

• Like 3

That is completely ridiculous but sadly it is probably true. It's a real shame that other promotions at all levels appear to have taken no notice of the IOW's success and tried to implement some of their ideas. This forum obviously only represents a small minority of fans but it's clear that virtually everyone here is full of praise for the work they are doing, if I was in charge at another club I would certainly be making contact with the IOW promotion for some tips and advice. Unfortunately I doubt that many in that role think like that, preferring to carry on their way because they know best, oblivious to the crowds falling before them.

• Like 1

I don't know about jealousy but I have always felt the bspa is something of a old boys club and newer members are never taken seriously if they get accepted into the lodge in the first place.

Posters are quite right in saying the laws should be enforced consistently across the board, not one rule for one and another rule for others.

Nailed it in one. If all the bouquets going IoW's way had come from just home fans, I would have been sceptical and thought it was the locals 'bigging up' the club. But it isn't. The positive reviews have been universal, which just shows this Promotion really cares about it's product, what it is marketing and presenting. That means listening to the customers, and acting in a proactive manner. They don't want people to just go once, they want them to return time and again. Sadly, it looks like the usual suspects in the 'We know best' brigade don't view this favourably, as all their inadequacies are being shown up in glorious technicolor.

Speedway's ability to make inconsistent, illegal and crooked decisions to suit some promotions but not others has always been in evidence. It seems to me, though, that this season they have exceeded themselves.

With all that's happened in the last three weeks or so, it appears the powers that be have given up any pretense of evenhandedness or being impartial.

In all honesty, hypocrisy doesn't even come close....

• Like 4

Was a time when the BSPA's beligerence towards speedway in other countries meant those on the other side of the English Channel / North Sea. Now it seems that the Solent counts as enough of a separation between England and those who the BSPA treat with contempt.

We've seen it before, not least at Birmingham. Anyone not prepared to play along with the "our way or no way" mantra of the speedway establishment will at some point reap the whirlwind.