British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Isle Of Wight V Birmingham Tues 13th June

ISLE OF WIGHT: Ben Wilson, Kelsey Dugard, James Cockle, Chris Widman, Connor Coles, Jamie Sealey, Tyler Govier.
BIRMINGHAM: Zach Wajtknecht, Layne Cupitt, Darryl Ritchings R/R, Tom Bacon, Liam Carr, Macauley Leek, Alex Spooner.

Good guest in Waj & if Carr can get his bike sorted he will go well as it was driving hard on the straights at Kent. Be interesting to see how Govier goes upon his return & guest of the moment Spooner scores.......fingers crossed he arrives earlier than he did last night.

Guest GiveusaB

Another 10 point defeat imo !

On paper IOW look well balanced...I'm surprised they lost at home to Plymouth, yet beat Lakeside?

A 6 man team, 3 man races, 2 guests, rider replacement and a partridge in a pear tree.

A 6 man team, 3 man races, 2 guests, rider replacement and a partridge in a pear tree.

a normal day at the office for british speedway!

Plenty. Apparently he turned up but there was a difference of views with the IoW promotion, the upshot of which was that he did not ride.

Details

Written by Wight Warriors

Published: 13 June 2017

Warriors 37 Birmingham Brummies 53 (NL)

Before even a wheel had been turned, the speedway Warriors were being dealt a dramatic blow when returning reserve Tyler Govier withheld his services due to a contractual issue. Down to six riders against the defending league champions who were still smarting from a defeat the previous evening, the task of winning was to prove too much and a heavy home defeat followed.

For the Warriors, Ben Wilson started with two quick wins but he looped his bike at the start of heat 10 and took a heavy fall that looked to effect him later on, Connor Coles made a steady debut and James Cockle was his usual persistent self, however with the Warriors shorthanded in two races, they just had no answer to a strong Brummies performance led by Liam Carr, Zach Wajtknecht, Tom Bacon and Layne Cupitt.

Frustrated co-promoter Barry Bishop reflected on a disappointing afternoon and evening. ‘We really believed that our new look side would be able to match and better the Brummies, but things turned sour when we failed to agree on a contractual matter with Tyler and his representative. With no time to organise a replacement, this thrust unacceptable pressure on to the lads and Jamie Sealey in particular. I know the result is not entirely down to this one incident but it did unsettle our guys needlessly and that reflected in some of our riding tonight. On a positive note, we ended the meeting with a super heat of speedway – a building block with which to move forward.’

Warriors will be hoping for improved showings this weekend as the travel to Belle Vue Colts on Friday and Mildenhall on Sunday.

RESULT and scorers from Thursday evening's SGB National League Trophy meeting at the Andrew Younie Stadium;

Isle of Wight 'Warriors' 37

1. Ben Wilson 3, 3, FX, 0, = 6

2. Kelsey Dugard FX, 1, 2, 1, = 4

3. James Cockle 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, = 10

4. Chris Widman R, R, 1', 3, = 4+1

5. Connor Coles 3, 2, 2, 1, 3, = 11

6. James Sealey 1, 0, 0, 1, F, = 2

7. Tyler Govier NS, NS, NS, = 0 (not riding)

Birmingham 'Brummies' 53

1. Zach Wajtknecht (Guest) 2, 3, 3, 2', = 10+1

2. Layne Cupitt 1', 1', 2', 3, 1, 0, = 8+3

3. R/R for Darryl Ritchings

4. Tom Bacon 2, 3, 2', 2, 2, = 11+1

5. Liam Carr 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 2, = 15

6. Macauley Leek 2', 0, 1, 0, = 3+1

7. Alex Spooner (Guest) 3, 1', 1, 0, 1', = 6+2

REFEREE: Ronnie Allan

GATE POSITIONS: Brummies won the coin toss and took gates 1 and 3 in heat 1. Warriors took gates 2 and 4 in heat 15.

HEAT DETAILS:

Heat 1: (Awarded): (Re-Run): Wilson, Wajtknecht, Cupitt, Dugard (FX), No Time (3-3) 3-3

Heat 2: Spooner, Leek, Sealey, Govier (NS), 75.9 (1-5) 4-8

Heat 3: (Re-Run): Cockle, Bacon, Cupitt (RR), Widman (XT15), 71.2 (3-3) 7-11

Heat 4: Coles, Carr, Spooner, Sealey (RC), 72.7 (3-3) 10-14

Heat 5: Wajtknecht, Cupitt, Cockle, Widman, 69.6 (1-5) 11-19

Heat 6: Wilson, Carr, Dugard, Leek, 70.6 (4-2) 15-21

Heat 7: Bacon, Coles, Leek (RR), Govier (RC, NS), 72.4 (2-4) 17-25

Heat 8: Cupitt, Dugard, Spooner, Sealey (RC), 72.9 (2-4) 19-29

Heat 9: Carr, Cockle, Widman, Leek, 70.5 (3-3) 22-32

Heat 10: (Re-Run): Carr (RR), Bacon, Dugard, Wilson (FX), 71.6 (1-5) 23-37

Heat 11: Wajtknecht, Coles, Cupitt, Govier (RC, NS), 70.6 (2-4) 25-41

Heat 12: Cockle, Bacon (RR), Sealey (RC), Spooner (RC), 72.8 (4-2) 29-43

Heat 13: Carr, Wajtknecht, Coles, Wilson, 71.7 (1-5) 30-48

Heat 14: Widman, Bacon, Spooner, Sealey (F), 72.6 (3-3) 33-51

Heat 15: Re-Run: Coles, Carr, Cockle, Cupitt, 70.6 (4-2) 37-53

It never rains for the poor IOW side/promotion. Im assuming a minimum 14 day ban will follow for Govier although with his negative influence it might be better if it was longer.

Such a horrible sign of the times that the promotion showed loyalty to 2 riders who many raised eyebrows about but stuck by them regardless only to have it thrown back in their faces.

I'm proberly out of order but Barry's said he couldn't agree terms with Govier and his representative, shouldn't riders at this level be happy to get a ride and learn there trade. I suppose at the end of the day it's got to be worth it from a financial point of view for the riders but NL level should be about the bigger picture I'd have thought. Maybe he became World Champion and I missed it. I might be out of order and get shot down for this comment, we shall see

• Like 2

I'm proberly out of order but Barry's said he couldn't agree terms with Govier and his representative, shouldn't riders at this level be happy to get a ride and learn there trade. I suppose at the end of the day it's got to be worth it from a financial point of view for the riders but NL level should be about the bigger picture I'd have thought. Maybe he became World Champion and I missed it. I might be out of order and get shot down for this comment, we shall see

Fair comment, riders at this level shouldn't be on ££££ per point. They should be on the £10/£20 per point as the league rules state. My question is why was terms not agreed with Tyler before the season started?

• Like 2

There are plenty of possible permutations perhaps IOW operate how i believe all clubs should run which is with a pay bracket for the position you are riding at in the team therefore it would have been less £'s per point.

Who knows but rightly those agreements are and should remain between Tyler & IOW only although i commend the promotion for not being held to ransom as im certain the last thing they would have wanted is to track a 6 man team.

I definitely feel Govier let IOW down and if he wasn't happen with the situation should have declared earlier so another rider who would have been grateful for the NL ride could have competed as there are scores of riders looking for their break who would have ridden for almost nothing.

Kid wants to think himself lucky he has a team place and the IOW stuck by him ,not exactly a world beater .only in his own mind , but wants to negotiate contracts ,you couldn't make this stuff up ,

• Like 2

Govier seems to be saying on the IOW Facebook page that it wasn't a contractual issue but won't (probably wisely)elaborate.

The IOW promotion aren't saying anything (again, probably wisely).

I think you make a very fair point here. It is a foolish young rider who gives up a team place voluntarily.

Whatever the case, the IOW promotion deserve far better.

• Like 2

Kids like this need a serious reality check, at this level you should have pretty much a full time job you can work around, ideally a trade which one can harness a skill for if the speedway thing doesn't lead to much, by that I mean for many, they will never attain the levels required to be able to do it as a full time profession.

If you want to be a top speedway rider then great, but you have to pay your dues, same as every other rider did generations before you.

• Like 2