British Speedway Forum

BT sport are doing a fine job, but come on, seriously is there nobody better to work with Kelvin than that guy they use now. Woeful commentator, shown again tonight, every race is a 'big race' every win is a 'big three points'.

Talking about Kyle Howarth being hurt in a crash... imagine being his family watching the BT Sport coverage tonight and now panicking perhaps.

I did go down the "here we go again" route last time you started, you do need to understand that your intense dislike of Pearson is legendary, you don't need to comment again, ever! We have all got it.

Unfortunately when commentators have an earful from a Director/Producer telling them in very short words to "sex" it up then that is what is done, smartish, particularly when on open talkback and the whole production team can hear. As an example nobody made more foxtrot uniforms than the late Murray Walker, he was loved by so many yet was a nightmare to produce never the less he screamed about events that just didn't match the broadcast images - but he delivered exactly what his bosses wanted each and every time.

Pearson does what he is told in a style that meets the approval and expectations of his paymasters every time too, they love him be it Darts, Speedway or Footie and the legendary detractors will be just that - underwhelmed, never mind there'll be fishing on Sky soon.

Edited by Whisperer

Bring back Dave Norris for the extra studio guest or even Joe Screen

Dave Norris was my favourite who has a good sense of humour Screeny would be great too & doesn't mind speaking his mind.

Nicholls is dull, Natalie is a breath of fresh air & is someone who knows her speedway.

• Like 1

I did go down the "here we go again" route last time you started, you do need to understand that your intense dislike of Pearson is legendary, you don't need to comment again, ever! We have all got it.

Unfortunately when commentators have an earful from a Director/Producer telling them in very short words to "sex" it up then that is what is done, smartish, particularly when on open talkback and the whole production team can hear. As an example nobody made more foxtrot uniforms than the late Murray Walker, he was loved by so many yet was a nightmare to produce never the less he screamed about events that just didn't match the broadcast images - but he delivered exactly what his bosses wanted each and every time.

Pearson does what he is told in a style that meets the approval and expectations of his paymasters every time too, they love him be it Darts, Speedway or Footie and the legendary detractors will be just that - underwhelmed, never mind there'll be fishing on Sky soon.

The late Murray Walker???

From what I have been hearing from contacts at BT they so far are very impressed with the UK Speedway coverage especially on such a tight budget and do acknowledge that a few tweaks and improvements could be made in fact one was done at Leicester as an additional camera position was added plus a locked off beauty shot too.

I do know one thing BT are very keen on and measure sports appeal and success on, That is social media they put a lot of Speedway content and coverage ads out on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram.

Now we need as many Speedway fans as possible to share and repost this content as they do lots more analysis and reporting on usage than Sky have done as BT dont have the more comprehensive tv viewing stats that Sky have so have to rely on the old school and sometimes unreliable BARB figures which i hasten to add Speedway has performed well on.

All of which will help provide a strong case for an improved and a permanent TV deal for British Speedway and could even create a case where there are two bidders for the TV rights in the future.

Edited by flagrag

From what I have been hearing from contacts at BT they so far are very impressed with the UK Speedway coverage especially on such a tight budget and do acknowledge that a few tweaks and improvements could be made in fact one was done at Leicester as an additional camera position was added plus a locked off beauty shot too.

I do know one thing BT are very keen on and measure sports appeal and success on, That is social media they put a lot of Speedway content and coverage ads out on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram.

Now we need as many Speedway fans as possible to share and repost this content as they do lots more analysis and reporting on usage than Sky have done as BT do have the more comprehensive tv viewing stats that Sky have so have to rely on the old school and sometimes unreliable BARB figures which i hasten to add Speedway has performed well on.

All of which will help provide a strong case for an improved and a permanent TV deal for British Speedway and could even create a case where there are two bidders for the TV rights in the future.

WISE words ... let's do it

Putting aside who my employer is on a personal level I want to see a high quality production of British Speedway on tv regardless of which channel it is on.

From the information I have gained it appears that there are good numbers viewing the online content but need to see more of it shared by fans

Putting aside who my employer is on a personal level I want to see a high quality production of British Speedway on tv regardless of which channel it is on.

From the information I have gained it appears that there are good numbers viewing the online content but need to see more of it shared by fans

I DID try to send you a PM but it wouldn't go through. For the record, BT Speedway director Steve Saint says there wasn't an extra camera at Leicester.

Oh not sure why PM wouldn't go through Phil, I stand to be corrected then I wonder if my contact at CloudBass OB got confused as they used a crane for the first time and thought that was an extra camera.

I did see Steve briefly on Monday in his shorts and colourful shirt but had gone when i turned round.

The comms was quite interesting on Monday as for some reason instead of being separate Nigel and Kelvin were in the box with the ref,Announcer,DJ and incident recorder very cosy was the description i heard

Edited by flagrag

I just wish BT would get there finger out and provide me with the fast fibre I signed up for March 9th, well before the start of this years GP's

It should have been installed on March 29th, latest date is August 2nd.

The "local" box is just 10 metres across a narrow road (private road) and my front garden. Fibres in there, neighbours on that side of the road have it installed, was only last Friday they dug up the road, laid a tube, today Openreach been out and pushed the cable through and installed a box on the wall.

The number of OR (OpenReach) guys have been out over the months is ridiculous, Sometimes 2 in different vans, sometimes a lone guy, they come for 15 min then disappear. One week there was 3 days I was promised someone would come, no show either day - no reason why given.

The guys last Friday who dug the trench couldnt understand why job not been done sooner - no big problem they said.

I have had BT Sport on my mobile since March, but with current b/band speed of 1.2mb/s, by the time I cast it to the TV its not a brilliant picture, yes I can watch it, but not brilliant.

By the time Aug 2nd comes there will have been 7 of the 12 GP.s gone............ may as well give up till next year now... I see it as the contract hasnt been started. Dont suppose it would go down well with BT though.

Thats my moan for the day.

Edited by OveFundinFan

Now we need as many Speedway fans as possible to share and repost this content as they do lots more analysis and reporting on usage than Sky have done as BT dont have the more comprehensive tv viewing stats that Sky have so have to rely on the old school and sometimes unreliable BARB figures which i hasten to add Speedway has performed well on.

I would love to share on Facebook. Is there anyway I can get the clips without being swamped by loads of footie and fighting stuff? I get enough of that on twitter

I just wish BT would get there finger out and provide me with the fast fibre I signed up for March 9th, well before the start of this years GP's

It should have been installed on March 29th, latest date is August 2nd.

The "local" box is just 10 metres across a narrow road (private road) and my front garden. Fibres in there, neighbours on that side of the road have it installed, was only last Friday they dug up the road, laid a tube, today Openreach been out and pushed the cable through and installed a box on the wall.

The number of OR (OpenReach) guys have been out over the months is ridiculous, Sometimes 2 in different vans, sometimes a lone guy, they come for 15 min then disappear. One week there was 3 days I was promised someone would come, no show either day - no reason why given.

The guys last Friday who dug the trench couldnt understand why job not been done sooner - no big problem they said.

I have had BT Sport on my mobile since March, but with current b/band speed of 1.2mb/s, by the time I cast it to the TV its not a brilliant picture, yes I can watch it, but not brilliant.

By the time Aug 2nd comes there will have been 7 of the 12 GP.s gone............ may as well give up till next year now... I see it as the contract hasnt been started. Dont suppose it would go down well with BT though.

Thats my moan for the day.

You're well entitled to moan mate, have sent you a pm, good luck.

• Like 1

I DID try to send you a PM but it wouldn't go through. For the record, BT Speedway director Steve Saint says there wasn't an extra camera at Leicester.

Judging by the coverage, there seemed to be one short - or was it just down to poor direction?

Midland Red - I don't think there is any doubt that if more money was available that at least two more cameras would be added for UK coverage and possibly would even be in 4K

But for at least this season it is a cost effective broadcast and done to the min that you can manage with.

There is nothing wrong with the direction in fact it has an expert in charge just need to brush up on some of the vision mixing and to check the graphics before putting to air as been a few errors with that.

League Speedway is actually one of the most fast moving and stressful production to deal with as the races are short and have frequent changes often at late notice with RR and reserves taking rides along with action not being in shot of the camera for before they have moved. It's not like football or Cricket where you plan your production down to the second about when and who you are going to interview or features to run. Like on Monday you can have an incident and then suddenly have 10-15 to fill which I feel Natalie is very good at doing so .

I remember one cameraman doing his first meeting for Sky a couple of years ago and afterward saying that it made him so dizzy trying to keep up with the action in fact the next meeting he did he asked to go up in the crane even though it was a cold dark night

• Like 1

Oh not sure why PM wouldn't go through Phil, I stand to be corrected then I wonder if my contact at CloudBass OB got confused as they used a crane for the first time and thought that was an extra camera.

Bin the crane view for live action, it's not a great view for the racing. And starts viewed only from the first bend, not side on and never from behind!

Golden rule, always have at least 2 riders in shot during a race.

Lots to learn for the directors of speedway meetings!

Edited by Stoke Potter
  • Like 1