British Speedway Forum
SCB

Buster Chapman - Is He Good For The Sport?

If people cast their minds back to the opening months this year, there was a concensus that this year gates had actually improved and that it was noted that SOME OF the promotions and the BSPA were being more pro active to using social media. I know for a fact that Newcastle are regularly putting more news and updates before and after events on Facebook and Twitter, in preference to using our own website.

See above, I have added 2 words you missed out.

Whilst Newcastle may be doing a good job in keeping their fans informed there are unfortunately many clubs who still like to treat fans like Mushrooms.

• Like 2

If people cast their minds back to the opening months this year, there was a concensus that this year gates had actually improved and that it was noted that the promotions and the BSPA were being more pro active to using social media. I know for a fact that Newcastle are regularly putting more news and updates before and after events on Facebook and Twitter, in preference to using our own website.

The problem is with depending so much on social media inc. Facebook and Twitter is that it is no different to leaflets and posters ( except that it is digital and free ). Being on Facebook or twitter does not automatically put your information in front of millions of people. They still have to know about you and what you are doing to "like" you or follow you. Also what some riders put out to their existing 500 followers is not going to attract or interest ( or make much sense ) to those outside the sport.

• Like 1

Whilst Newcastle may be doing a good job in keeping their fans informed there are unfortunately many clubs who still like to treat fans like Mushrooms.

Incredible to think that in this day and age Social Media is an 'after thought' for so many clubs...

They cannot even quote cost as an issue as I have employed several 'website builders' in the past three years who worked part time for me whilst gaining their degrees in whatever 'website building' comes under at Uni..

One of them (to help gain his degree) had to do a 'practical' so he set up a website for my lads football team and kept it updated via what I sent him...

The 'look and feel' was refreshed several times a week during the 12 months he worked for me...

It looked very professional and at virtually zero cost...

'Shares' on Facebook can access literally millions of people or (more relevant maybe), access thousands on your doorstep within your community. .

Virtually every community has some 'closed group' with thousands of locals discussing, as they happen, things going on in their area or advertising what is happening soon..

Every Speedway club should join their local Community Facebook Group. Either via the business Facebook page or via someone connected to the clubs own Facebook page.

My business joins the local group wherever I move to as it's a fantastic way of getting your name out locally and you also get unsolicited feedback as to how you are doing via this media and can action any issues that ordinarily you may not know about..

I often am able to sponsor local events that I see advertised on my local community Facebook page...

I also via the medium, let the local monthly market traders and customers use my sizeable car park as it also brings me business whilst helping local businesses at the same time..

Local charities email me direct for donations which (however small) are greatly received and publicly thanked!!

Every food bank I let collect in my store, photos are taken and put out on the local community page. Great publicity for them and even more so for my Company!

I currently sit on a +90% rating on the 'mystery shopper' result of my companies performance measures for the question 'does your local store help your community?'...

My sales are +6% Like for Like too...

Cannot think how....?

Maybe related?

(Now there's a thought)....😲😉

There is a HUGE opportunity to get your message out locally for virtually 'sod all' costs...

All Clubs should try it...

Edited by mikebv

If people cast their minds back to the opening months this year, there was a concensus that this year gates had actually improved and that it was noted that the promotions and the BSPA were being more pro active to using social media. I know for a fact that Newcastle are regularly putting more news and updates before and after events on Facebook and Twitter, in preference to using our own website.

I also thought attendances were up (in general) at the start of this season. I do think British Speedway needs to appeal more to those who live within easy reach of their track. A strong part of that for me is the team identity. I no longer follow one team because I was increasingly finding that as soon as I gained some affinity for the riders, some of them would be moved on to another team part way through the season. Chopping and changing within teams is now become ridiculous and I cannot gain that affinity for team, knowing that not only their riders, but also those in the teams they race against are different almost every time they meet, and every time they meet their competitors. Maybe I'm in a minority here but I'd like to see all team changes being kept to an absolute minimum - what we have now are pic 'n' mix groups of riders rather than teams. In this way, youngsters and local people can get to know a team a little better, which I think is important if they are new to the sport. What's the alternative?

• Like 5

I also thought attendances were up (in general) at the start of this season. I do think British Speedway needs to appeal more to those who live within easy reach of their track. A strong part of that for me is the team identity. I no longer follow one team because I was increasingly finding that as soon as I gained some affinity for the riders, some of them would be moved on to another team part way through the season. Chopping and changing within teams is now become ridiculous and I cannot gain that affinity for team, knowing that not only their riders, but also those in the teams they race against are different almost every time they meet, and every time they meet their competitors. Maybe I'm in a minority here but I'd like to see all team changes being kept to an absolute minimum - what we have now are pic 'n' mix groups of riders rather than teams. In this way, youngsters and local people can get to know a team a little better, which I think is important if they are new to the sport. What's the alternative?

I agree about team identity, I think the only way to achieve it is to abandon the averages and have one big league.

• Like 2

I agree about team identity, I think the only way to achieve it is to abandon the averages and have one big league.

Making them static for the season would be a start, only revising over the winter.

• Like 1

Making them static for the season would be a start, only revising over the winter.

Wouldn't that cause more team changes, not fewer?

It's a start but social media is a two way thing. Clubs sending out a tweet it NOT social media utilization. They have to respond to people tweets. Try tweet one of the clubs twitters and see if you get a response, you're more likely to be blocked as numerous people have found.

I swear the BSPA have more people blocked than following them. Kings Lynn blocked me too.

If he were good for the sport there would be an upward trend in attendances and there is not. So no.

It's a start but social media is a two way thing. Clubs sending out a tweet it NOT social media utilization. They have to respond to people tweets. Try tweet one of the clubs twitters and see if you get a response, you're more likely to be blocked as numerous people have found.

I swear the BSPA have more people blocked than following them. Kings Lynn blocked me too.

They blocked you?! Hahaha! What on earth are those dinosaurs doing anywhere near a computer.

If only they'd take their heads out of their own backsides long enough to listen to some of the hundreds of people trying to push them in the right direction, and they'd realise that social media might just be able to save this sport.

• Like 2

Wouldn't that cause more team changes, not fewer?

I don't know - why would there be more? Every year people speculate on results/average manipulation during the season and changes are made with promoters doing it before that riders average drops or before another's gets too high. It would stop that surely? Also, if promoters want riders' loyalty then they have to be loyal to them also.

If he were good for the sport there would be an upward trend in attendances and there is not. So no.

They blocked you?! Hahaha! What on earth are those dinosaurs doing anywhere near a computer.

If only they'd take their heads out of their own backsides long enough to listen to some of the hundreds of people trying to push them in the right direction, and they'd realise that social media might just be able to save this sport.

I am surprised they know how one works.

I would change that to most of, but yes there will always be some who are non savvy with media. That's the time to get someone in who is, and use it to it's full.

Someone mentioned earlier about leaflets and posters, but I couldn't disagree more. Look at what gets shoved through your own door, and how quick does it hit the wastepaper bins. Another non runner is adverts in the local freebie newspaper. They are expensive and you need to take them every week and you never know if one person attends as a result of the advert.

The next best to media is personal invitations from existing fans and also targeting the younger generation. I have show bikes, a reaction gating machine and I do all the visits and shows in our area for Newcastle Speedway. We have both free leaflets to hand out and sometimes some £5 off ones. I don't even show these offer leaflets until they look genuinely interested and especially the kids. What I don't want is someone who says they know someone that goes, because the offer leaflets seem to nearly always end up in the hands of existing supporters.

Tempting people in is not an exact science but you have to try all facilities to get some new fans. Most existing fans don't know or admit to their track doing these initiatives, but believe me, there is a lot of activity going on behind the scenes but unfortunately Speedway is not now a cool scene for youngsters and the last time I checked new motor cycle licences are down by about 90% of what was the usual level when youngsters bought motor bikes, instead of like now the mandatory Corsa and the like.

It isn't easy, and its the easiest thing to blame others for not doing.

• Like 4

You can promote Speedway as much as you like, it won't make any difference, as the problems with the sport lay far deeper than that.

Hardened fans are starting to walk away, and if that's happening, how are you going to attract new people to a Sport that doesn't provide the basics?

The very basics... fans want to watch close exciting racing, on a well prepared track, on a regular weekly basis, with a team of riders that doesn't consist of Guests or RR each meeting.

That isn't happening.

People want to feel connected to a Club....and watch and support that team on a weekly basis.

I'd much rather watch a team of riders, who were presently considered middle order Championship riders, than a team that had riders considered GP quality, missing all the time for Individual and 'International' commitments....if they aren't going to be there each week.

There aren't enough fixtures, and that also doesn't take into account rain offs. Fans are finding other things to do on a regular basis.

Combine the Championship and Premiership...fill it with riders who will commit to riding for you each week.

If it meant the best riders in your team were of the same standard of the likes of say BWD, Shames, Bewley, Wright, Stark, then great...seen some fantastic racing by these types of lads. At least you have something to support on a regular basis and commitment. If it means you're a Labourer like Wright and ride Speedway as well...then brilliant. Why not?

Fill British Speedway with this type of rider...phase in Standardised equipment, with someone like JAWA sponsoring it, take away the costs of servicing a speedway bike just to compete, and pay the riders a set wage. If it means they have a part time day job...so what!

In fact I could see a lot more British riders taking up the sport if this was the case. MX and Grasstrack riders I've spoken to have all said they would give Speedway a go, if the costs were lower.

The likes of Woffie, Doyle, Holder etc...the whole GP circus...British Speedway doesn't need them.

what he said

• Like 2

your not on your own , in team sport team identity is everything but speedway has become a team sport with no team identity
  • Like 3