British Speedway Forum
SCB

Buster Chapman - Is He Good For The Sport?

I just got the latest Backtrack magazine through the post yesterday and it lovely to see an action picture on the front cover showing an upright Weslake 4-valve in action - just bring those days back.....that would be a good start to getting speedway back on the right tracks.

2 valve JAWA would be even better.

• Like 1

2 valve JAWA would be even better.

You beat me to it.

Well said Sir!!

• Like 1

I will settle for 2 valvers then - just bring them back. Racing was just as exciting for spectators, riders certainly looked in more control of the machine - just look at the likes of Zmarzlik, he definitely looks like hes hanging on for life.

Roll on the revolution

• Like 3

I will settle for 2 valvers then - just bring them back. Racing was just as exciting for spectators, riders certainly looked in more control of the machine - just look at the likes of Zmarzlik, he definitely looks like hes hanging on for life.

Roll on the revolution

My views on this subject are well known.

Speedway has never been the same since the advent of the 4-Valve Engine. It has changed things tremendously - and most certainly NOT for the better.

• Like 4

maybe if the bikes weren't rockets (something fans don't give a toss about) then they could cope with less than perfect surfaces

I could be persuaded by such arguments. We could debate this back and forward but it would be a waste of time. Every form of motorsport spends endless funds on going faster. It's what competitors do.

But as to the case in hand. No one has managed to beat Nicki Pedersen's track record of 57.6 set on 11th September 2002. Last Thursday we had a time of 58.06 set in heat 3 by Robert Lambert. My reaction was the usual, "The tracks too fast. We won't see good racing tonight". In the very next race we had the sight of a senior home rider, "flat tanking it" and finally "retiring". You tell me. If I see quality home riders setting (almost) record times and others giving up, what am I to think?

My conclusion? Sometimes you have to attack the conditions that are put in front of you. If the track had been over watered or there was rain (beyond the Peter Kaye spitting) I might have a different view. The reaction from me and many home fans around me was "Get on with it". The impact of this debacle will certainly hit KL's income. Given the critical state of many track's profitability, it could end speedway at KL altogether.

• Like 4

Can't wait to see Jonathan Chapman's reply tho SCB's opening post.

Not sure what you are expecting but I feel no desire to comment as if I say anything positive it will be seen as favouritism and anything negative will be taken like I have an axe to grind.

I will however say that I am very saddened at the way Speedway in UK seems to have continued its downward trajectory. Ten years ago I had so much hope for it and believed it could go onto great things, but now watching from the outside I am 100% sure it has missed the boat and before long (when the TV money runs dry) the sport will be semi-pro at its best (something between National League and Championship).

• Like 7

Not sure what you are expecting but I feel no desire to comment as if I say anything positive it will be seen as favouritism and anything negative will be taken like I have an axe to grind.

I will however say that I am very saddened at the way Speedway in UK seems to have continued its downward trajectory. Ten years ago I had so much hope for it and believed it could go onto great things, but now watching from the outside I am 100% sure it has missed the boat and before long (when the TV money runs dry) the sport will be semi-pro at its best (something between National League and Championship).

So when the tv money does run out, which could be Oct this year, from what you are saying it seems the Premiership league will cease to exist. That would answer a few questions about certain things that seem to be happening.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

So when the tv money does run out, which could be Oct this year, from what you are saying it seems the Premiership league will cease to exist. That would answer a few questions about certain things that seem to be happening.

I know the financial mechanics of running a team in every single league of British Speedway, and I can assure you that without TV money the quality of rider that teams can afford without wealthy backers is equal to second strings in the championship as heat leaders (or whatever league is set up to replace it).

A few may try to front it out and prove top level speedway can exist without TV money but they will go bust by June or July. In addition to that if Championship and Premiership tried to amalgamate their would be a shortage of what we call second string riders so that means it would again push riders demands up. This years championship reserves could find themselves catapulted to stardom but I am not sure how many fans will come to watch them race.

Overall summary: Pack of Cards

• Like 1

but now watching from the outside

Just pack yourself on the back you're not in there fighting to make speedway great. Your negative analysis is less than helpful.

Just pack yourself on the back you're not in there fighting to make speedway great. Your negative analysis is less than helpful.

Care to explain how my analysis changes anything, or would you prefer every one to enjoy being mushrooms?

• Like 1

When Poland next year goes to 'Poland plus one', it will effectively remove the GP riders as well as several current heat leaders...

What this country will be left with is the top GB riders (ex Woffy and possibly Lambert), and lots of Championship level heat leaders/second strings from various parts of the globe..

These will then be supplemented by National League level riders filling lower second string/reserve places...

For me, to survive, British Speedway needs to live it's life in 'splendid isolation' such is its distance from ever being in line to compete with Sweden and Poland. Not having to be beholding to Poland and Sweden when planning fixtures may assist them in doing that and let GB take charge of its own destiny...

Maybe cutting it's cloth accordingly with an operating model based on affordability, credibility and integrity may give it a chance to rebuild from the bottom upwards and this time get it right!!..?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 9

Care to explain how my analysis changes anything?

There is a team of people trying to get the Bees up and running again.

There are youngsters riding their hearts out on 125's and 250's for no money trying to be the next World Champion.

There are riders putting their lives on the line every week wondering how to balance the books.

Need I go on?

You offer nothing to encourage these people. If you think you know they are deluded, leave them in ignorance please?

Do you want him to lie.

Do you want him to lie.

No. Just be quiet.