British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
g13webb

Chris Holder ! :- Friend Or Foe

What i condone is if you pay a lot of money in wages to someone then you expect the required level of support back.It happens in all jobs.If you pay good money you expect a good job.Now Poland try to run professionally and pay for that.That means turning up for training and also for off track promotion.If you pay good money you don't want someone turning up knackered because he has been racing in 3 other countries during the week and sleeping at airports or on the road

I don't think there is any employer that accepts people turning up and doing a poor job because they have been working elsewhere.And i don't think the EU have any law that allows someone to work for lots of different employers under the conditions that speedway riders do.It just isn't healthy in a dangerous sport right from the start the sort of itinery they have or did have with 80 + meetings in a season

Plus it is just blooming unfair on fans who pay good money and see riders come in and ride half hearted or under form because they have had too much on their plate over the last weeks and months.....

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

I think the truth with Chris Holder is that he doesn't want to ride for any other team than Poole.

I think he was very hurt at being loaned out by the Pirates but we know Ford is ruthless & doesn't let sentiment cloud his judgement.

Holder's not having a good season by his standards; poor in Poland and Sweden, struggling in the GPs & an indifferent start at KL. If you add his big crash at Coventry a few years ago and Darcy's accident (which I think affected him deeply) he's not in a good place at the moment hence this latest spat.

I don't think he ever wanted to ride for KL (correct me if I'm wrong but he's never listed Sadlebow amongst his favourite tracks) I think he's Poole or nothing as far as the UK's concerned.

I maybe wrong but he's never been the same rider since his own accident and Darcy's (understandably so) in my opinion.

Perhaps he could do with a break from the sport for a bit?

I sincerely agree with what you have said about Holder's life situation but he chose to carry on regardless and sign for another UK club, on a good deal ( by UK standards ) so he cannot expect much overall sympathy when he goes on strike. Maybe he should end his season ( in the UK ) now, other than the GP. But if he doesn't get back to Poole next year for whatever reason, where does that leave him then. Anyway it would likely be for him and Doyle - Poland and Sweden, so perhaps it hardly matters.

Wasn't it always the way when clubs have been claiming a rider is their asset just because they have ridden a handful of meetings,even though they already had one or two clubs in other countries that they have ridden a few seasons for?Is that not rather crazy and probably illegal,though nobody really took it further?

I fully agree with is, and also these conditions being imposed by Poland, but until the riders turn round and tell the clubs what to do with their restrictive contracts it will continue. If all the top riders refused to sign the Polish contracts or the next D Ward when starting out refused to sign the contract re becoming an asset, the contracts would soon be changed.

• Like 1

Is this just part of the wider issue that is blighting speedway in the U.K. No one condones this type of behaviour with total disregard for the paying public but is this the turning point for racing in this country? The big names only want to ride on their terms and/or those of the Polish authorities so is it not time for promoters to stop kidding themselves about attracting the big names. The money, loyalty and commitment no longer exists so back to basics. What has the sport got to lose now. Standardise the bikes to suit the tracks rather than what you have now and the gate and go merchants can ply their trade elsewhere. If you want to see the best riders go to a GP. Run speedway on a weekly basis, £10 entry, introduce tickets that you can buy to attend any meeting at any club and those under 16 go free.

The racing format may need changing and teams should run a development team who go on first. Six heats followed by a league meeting of 13 heats. No joker, no guests and referrees encouraged to get through a meeting a quickly as possible. Stop the gardening, stop the mechanics coming out if a restart is required and just get on with it. It is a simple enough sport that has lost the plot.

• Like 5

Just chatted with Chris Holder. He said the track at Kings Lynn was unrideable and that over 100 tons of fresh shale had been put on that was super grippy. Nowt wrong with Batchelor a 'handy' excuse.

Just chatted with Chris Holder. He said the track at Kings Lynn was unrideable and that over 100 tons of fresh shale had been put on that was super grippy. Nowt wrong with Batchelor a 'handy' excuse.

It must have been 'rideable' the meeting was completed.

• Like 2

Shame you didn't chat with his brother as well. . He found the track very racable, as did Paul Starke

• Like 1

It needed a lot of shale because the track for the Dirkquake the week before looked like mud and it had loads of stones on it.

Unrideable my arse...So called less talented and experienced riders rode it.".Super grippy" = balls needed to attack the track.Didn't fancy it more like.To much like hard work maybe.Others battled on and put the effort in..Batch no better.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 2

Unrideable my arse...So called less talented and experienced riders rode it.".Super grippy" = balls needed to attack the track.Didn't fancy it more like.To much like hard work maybe.Others battled on and put the effort in..Batch no better.

Very interesting reply, would you be so kind to tell me who you ride for ? You must be very very good that even a ex world champion says the track was not RACEABLE along side a very experienced TB & even the KL captain! Can all 3 be wrong ?

Very interesting reply, would you be so kind to tell me who you ride for ? You must be very very good that even a ex world champion says the track was not RACEABLE along side a very experienced TB & even the KL captain! Can all 3 be wrong ?

The whole Poole team rode it and picked up the points.Some very good riders there.Oh it was "UNRIDEABLE" unless SS is fibbing....2 different things...

Edited by Bald Bloke

The whole Poole team rode it and picked up the points.Some very good riders there.Oh it was "UNRIDEABLE" unless SS is fibbing....2 different things...

You have still not answered my question, who do you ride for, or at least you must be a x rider

You have still not answered my question, who do you ride for, or at least you must be a x rider

No i'm not..Why do I need to be to make the comment I did.........If the Poole team and the majority of the Lynn team rode it,maybe Holder didn't fancy it .The track must of been RIDEABLE..The meeting finished.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 3

No i'm not..Why do I need to be to make the comment I did.........If the Poole team and the majority of the Lynn team rode it,maybe Holder didn't fancy it .The track must of been RIDEABLE..The meeting finished.

Ah right, I will listen to your comments rather than an ex-world champion lol

Ah right, I will listen to your comments rather than an ex-world champion lol

You stated that Holder said the track was not " RACEABLE"

When he actually said "UNRIDEABLE"...There's a big difference.If he had said not raceable I would agree,but he didn't,did he.

Go away.

• Like 1