British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Swindon V Rye House Thursday 20th July Sgbp

Yes it is as have seen him ride very well at Swindon both in the main body or at reserve.

As I said not his type of track.

We won again.

Getting too easy. Think we should join a super league with the Poles' best teams!

It's always 6.30pm grumpy chops :wink:

I would hope not as Poole will be the cannon fodder in the playoffs :wink:

I'm sure it used to be 6.30...oh well never mind, less revenue in Swindon's pockets.

First meeting for me at Blunsdon this season.

It was nice to go back, as I have fond memory's of the place...however, I'm looking forward to seeing Swindon with a new track.

Tonight's stand out impressions...

The place looks more like a scrapyard these days. I've never seen so much wiring, fencing, tyres, metal, plastic sheeting, bits of wood etc between spectators and the race track...it's a right state.

Tbh...the racing wasn't much better either...what a bore fest. Is it like that every week? I left after heat 12 I was that bored.

It doesn't help that riders are hanging on for dear life through bends 1 and 2...that downhill home straight seems to have got steeper lol

And what's with the MI5 security and parking attendants? It was like an Airport at times...lol

Think I've been spoilt watching Somerset of late... ;-)

Oh...and well done Swindon on winning :-) Some nice people there too...

• Like 1

Take a bow Swindon, I thought you would really struggle this season but now you have every chance of winnig the whole dam thing

• Like 1

It's a while since I've seen a meeting at Blunsdon. How times have changed over the past year or so. I used to be able to see the lights of Haydon Wick and Greenmeadow from my vantage point on the grass bank entering the third bend. Now, its numerous new houses, one of which literally backs onto the pits!

70 year old Ronnie Russell and his team prepared a superb smooth track for tonight's meeting, although there didn't seem to be too much grip on the outside.

Swindon currently look a team full of confidence. Jason Doyle produced a sublime performance and is simply at the top of his game. An indication of how speedway riders run their lives nowadays was watching Doyle use crutches to walk along the dog track to the start line for the pre meeting parade!! Simply no time to be injured these days! Doyle is absolutely imperious around the Abbey. For a second or two, his masterful control reminded me of the great Leigh Adams, but curiously, he never once looked for his team mates. In heat 13, one got the impression that he was thinking that there was no way Nick Morris was going to finish in front of him. In heat 10 when momentarily there was a requirement to ensure the impressive Tobiasz Musielak stayed with him and in second place, but Doyle just cleared off with no thought of shepherding his new team mate around. That said, I'd rather a Jason Doyle in my team than say, a underperforming Holder, a poor KK or an inconsistent Nilsson Cook or Harris.

Nick Morris looks a fine rider these days and forms a powerful spearhead with Doyle. Then there's the find of the season, David Bellego. Unlucky to have an engine failure whilst leading heat 9, his pass of Ricky Wells in heat 14 oozed class.

With Adam Ellis at last finding some form and BWD looking feisty and aggressive, if not a little wild on occasions, the Robins are shaping up to be a real late threat.

A mention for Zach Wajtknecht too. I watched him regularly last season at Somerset where he often lacked aggression especially going into the first bend. He has improved in this area now, but has added some excellent passing moves to his armoury.

For Rye, Nichols, Robson and Harris battled as they always will, but it has to be said, the Hertfordshire outfit look relegation candidates to me.

Great to see Swindon getting stronger as the season progresses and the crowds appear to be on their way back with a definite feel good factor around.

• Like 2

Not a bad night's racing quite reasonable i have seen worse, also the crowd was very good Swindon as a team were very good tonight very comfortable.For Rye Nicholls showed his old skill, at times looked slow but he rode some brilliant lines and his track-craft is second to none.Maybe i am wrong but Nicholls seemed to have mechanical problems in a few races where he slowed? but Scott was decent tonite.Musielak for me is the one he gated poorly in his first two rides give it a real go from the back and he is exciting got it together in his last two rides.This bloke reminds me style wise a bit like Zagar he will prove to be a a great signing for the Robins.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

It's a while since I've seen a meeting at Blunsdon. How times have changed over the past year or so. I used to be able to see the lights of Haydon Wick and Greenmeadow from my vantage point on the grass bank entering the third bend. Now, its numerous new houses, one of which literally backs onto the pits!

70 year old Ronnie Russell and his team prepared a superb smooth track for tonight's meeting, although there didn't seem to be too much grip on the outside.

Swindon currently look a team full of confidence. Jason Doyle produced a sublime performance and is simply at the top of his game. An indication of how speedway riders run their lives nowadays was watching Doyle use crutches to walk along the dog track to the start line for the pre meeting parade!! Simply no time to be injured these days! Doyle is absolutely imperious around the Abbey. For a second or two, his masterful control reminded me of the great Leigh Adams, but curiously, he never once looked for his team mates. In heat 13, one got the impression that he was thinking that there was no way Nick Morris was going to finish in front of him. In heat 10 when momentarily there was a requirement to ensure the impressive Tobiasz Musielak stayed with him and in second place, but Doyle just cleared off with no thought of shepherding his new team mate around. That said, I'd rather a Jason Doyle in my team than say, a underperforming Holder, a poor KK or an inconsistent Nilsson Cook or Harris.

Nick Morris looks a fine rider these days and forms a powerful spearhead with Doyle. Then there's the find of the season, David Bellego. Unlucky to have an engine failure whilst leading heat 9, his pass of Ricky Wells in heat 14 oozed class.

With Adam Ellis at last finding some form and BWD looking feisty and aggressive, if not a little wild on occasions, the Robins are shaping up to be a real late threat.

A mention for Zach Wajtknecht too. I watched him regularly last season at Somerset where he often lacked aggression especially going into the first bend. He has improved in this area now, but has added some excellent passing moves to his armoury.

For Rye, Nichols, Robson and Harris battled as they always will, but it has to be said, the Hertfordshire outfit look relegation candidates to me.

Great to see Swindon getting stronger as the season progresses and the crowds appear to be on their way back with a definite feel good factor around.

good post, although Nicholls was leading this race... Frenchy was 2nd.

Have they reduced the banking on the corners at Blunsdon?...it certainly looks like it.

It was noticeable how much the riders can really attack bends 3 and 4 and try to make passing moves...but the opposite on bends 1 and 2.

I know it's downhill on the home straight....and it was with a breeze behind...but I've never witnessed riders at Blunsdon struggle around bends 1 and 2 so much.

A dip into bend 1 also seems to have formed. Leading to many of the riders drifting wide, having to lock up or even get out of shape.

I agree with what was said before about the track preparation...it was excellent.

It occurred to me how important it was to get a decent start at Blunsdon...I can't recall seeing so many restarts before there.

Enjoyed watching the new Pole adapt...reminded me a little of Renat Gaforov.

As for Doyle...obviously got fast machinery, but imo, shouldn't be in the same sentence as Leigh Adams, who was different class in many ways. ;-)

The Abbey was buzzing last night, bumper crowd, good racing, decent weather, 7 wins in a row, now up to third. Plenty of fans on way to Cardiff there last night.

Doyley untouchable, even on crutches.

RH poor apart from Nick.

Wished Big Ron appy birthday.

• Like 1

Have they reduced the banking on the corners at Blunsdon?...it certainly looks like it.

It was noticeable how much the riders can really attack bends 3 and 4 and try to make passing moves...but the opposite on bends 1 and 2.

I know it's downhill on the home straight....and it was with a breeze behind...but I've never witnessed riders at Blunsdon struggle around bends 1 and 2 so much.

A dip into bend 1 also seems to have formed. Leading to many of the riders drifting wide, having to lock up or even get out of shape.

I agree with what was said before about the track preparation...it was excellent.

It occurred to me how important it was to get a decent start at Blunsdon...I can't recall seeing so many restarts before there.

As for Doyle...obviously got fast machinery, but imo, shouldn't be in the same sentence as Leigh Adams, who was different class in many ways. ;-)

Doyle has to be in the Swindon Legends section certainly in the top 10 riders ever to wear a Robins racejacket.Briggs,Crump,Ashby,Adams,Doyle,Kilby,Broadbanks,Autrey, Zagar ,Petersen.(no order).If he wins the WC and i think he will he will jump the quew and will only be behind Briggo in the immortals.
  • Like 2

Doyle has to be in the Swindon Legends section certainly in the top 10 riders ever to wear a Robins racejacket.Briggs,Crump,Ashby,Adams,Doyle,Kilby,Broadbanks,Autrey, Zagar ,Petersen.(no order).If he wins the WC and i think he will he will jump the quew and will only be behind Briggo in the immortals.

My top 7 same as yours, Wardy also brilliant, and Nilsen was very good. Andersen super skipper in 2012 champions side.

Heat 15 last night was a superb race, even though nothing at stake, a great night's entertainment

• Like 1

My top 7 same as yours, Wardy also brilliant, and Nilsen was very good. Andersen super skipper in 2012 champions side.

Heat 15 last night was a superb race, even though nothing at stake, a great night's entertainment

Ward well i was honoured to see him ride for only a few months for the Robins he was oozing class all those you named spot on "beefy have to give Peter Moore/ George White a mention to.

Are you going by Riders ability who rode for Swindon then?

I wouldn't call Scott Autrey a Swindon 'Legend'...definitely an Exeter Legend....or Zagar, Doyle, and Petersen.

I'd agree with Briggs, Phil Crump, Lee Adams, Martin Ashby, Bob Kilby, Mike Broadbanks...but would add to that, Geoff Bouchard, Malcolm Holloway, Brian Karger, Jimmy Nilsen, Ian Williams, Neil Street...and even Andrew Silver over the three I mentioned.

'Legend' to me, means riders who have ridden for a team for a longer period of time, but also have achieved respect amongst all speedway fans.

I don't think Doyle even has that at Poole or Somerset where he's ridden just as much as he has for Swindon. Perhaps I'm in a minority in feeling that, but from other Speedway fans I've spoken too, I've not heard the love and respect for Doyle as you do other Speedway 'Legends'.

Are you going by Riders ability who rode for Swindon then?

I wouldn't call Scott Autrey a Swindon 'Legend'...definitely an Exeter Legend....or Zagar, Doyle, and Petersen.

I'd agree with Briggs, Phil Crump, Lee Adams, Martin Ashby, Bob Kilby, Mike Broadbanks...but would add to that, Geoff Bouchard, Malcolm Holloway, Brian Karger, Jimmy Nilsen, Ian Williams, Neil Street...and even Andrew Silver over the three I mentioned.

'Legend' to me, means riders who have ridden for a team for a longer period of time, but also have achieved respect amongst all speedway fans.

I don't think Doyle even has that at Poole or Somerset where he's ridden just as much as he has for Swindon. Perhaps I'm in a minority in feeling that, but from other Speedway fans I've spoken too, I've not heard the love and respect for Doyle as you do other Speedway 'Legends'.

LEGEND on riding ability only, i certainly respect Doyle and it is worth paying 17 quid just to see him strut his stuff.Over the years us Budgie fans have been blessed with in/out superstar no 1s my prediction is Doyle will jump to no 2 behind Briggo as the greatest Robin ever.???
  • Like 1

It does seem to be the case that something has happened to bends 1 and 2. It is the case that riders using the outside of bend 2, the bit that Killer used to ride right next to the fence, has lost its speed and grip and that now riders are cutting back and finding a faster line on the inside.

Apart from that it was a good meeting, especially watching Jason back to form getting a max but all the others put in good performances.

I am a little surprised that Adam did not score more from reserve but I appreciate the exclusion did not help him.

The team seems now to have a more balanced look with jason, Nick and David putting in good scores, Tobi and BWD scoring a decent 6 or 7 and the reserves going ok.

We have now won 7 out of the last 7 meetings but many need to attend next week to roar as we see off those pirates.

• Like 2