British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
britmet

Chains

Do riders still boil their chains in oil in a meat tray in the kitchen oven ?
. . - or are chains now just another disposable item that pushes up costs ?

• Like 1

Do riders still boil their chains in oil in a meat tray in the kitchen oven ?

. . - or are chains now just another disposable item that pushes up costs ?

Apparently Bo Petersen, whilst riding for Swindon in 1985, rode a bike that was driven by a belt driven clutch doing away with the conventional primary drive chain...not sure if it caught on however!

Apparently Bo Petersen, whilst riding for Swindon in 1985, rode a bike that was driven by a belt driven clutch doing away with the conventional primary drive chain...not sure if it caught on however!

There are a few about, Kyle Newman has one.

I think Kelvin Tatum use a belt drive clutch in long track not sure if he tried it on speedway tracks.think dirt getting in cause problems though,someone might be able to confirm.

I recall a story whereby Anders Michanek was boiling his chains in oil and it caught fire and he turned the fire extinguisher on it and proceeded to cover Reg Fearman's Rolls Royce in foam in doing so!

Edited by steve roberts

Jason Lyons tried it in the early 2000s too.

Tom Bacon uses belt drive as well ... as for chains, it depends on how much money the rider has, I suppose. Those in the lower leagues clean and oil them.

Not many riders boil their chains anymore , I soaked mine in degreaser then jet washed them then put them in the waste oil that I had dropped from the engine then hung them up and let excess oil run off then fit ,, as long as you have a decent oiler on bike you will have no problems , I fitted new primary chains every 8 meetings but rear chain would last all year

• Like 3

Kyle has had the scandic belt system for 2 years now and the belts have lasted all season only actually changed as a matter of course as opposed to need in the winter.

• Like 2

Kyle has had the scandic belt system for 2 years now and the belts have lasted all season only actually changed as a matter of course as opposed to need in the winter.

Well I didn't know about belts, I'm old school, as my question implies. And I've noticed that chain user don't put the split link on the inside today.

Not surprised to hear of belts, as we've a Harley dealer in town and I've noticed they're driven by a rubber band. Doesn't sound high-tech advanced technology, does it. (but then H-Ds are dynosaural.)

Well I didn't know about belts, I'm old school, as my question implies. And I've noticed that chain user don't put the split link on the inside today.

Not surprised to hear of belts, as we've a Harley dealer in town and I've noticed they're driven by a rubber band. Doesn't sound high-tech advanced technology, does it. (but then H-Ds are dynosaural.)

Harley's use them in place of the rear chain, these are used between the engine and clutch.

I recall a story whereby Anders Michanek was boiling his chains in oil and it caught fire and he turned the fire extinguisher on it and proceeded to cover Reg Fearman's Rolls Royce in foam in doing so!

Bobby Schwartz did the same injuring himself in the process.He rang Dan McCormick saying"You used to have a rider called Bernt Persson,well now you have another"....or words to that effect Edited by martin_t
  • Like 1

Seeing the thread title, thought this was going to be Jeremy Corbyn Fan and his Diane Abbott fantasies...

• Like 2

A lot of the problems with rear chains are caused by the tight angles that tiny rear sprockets cause. Primary Belts are a natural progression if looked after correctly & dont lock up if they do break.

Pretty much a necessity on longtrack as chain oilers are not allowed.